Redesign of 'Current Resources' page

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Redesign of 'Current Resources' page

Post by Sobuno » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:36 pm

As a poster said on the old forum, the current layout of 'Current Resources' isn't easily looked quickly through to get any important information. Based on his suggestions, I've started designing a new version:

http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/current_resources2.php

The page isn't finished yet, I just began work on it this evening

You can see his suggestions here:
http://www.swgcraft.com/forum/showthrea ... post243920

Any suggestions for a color for stats above 900 that is a bit more noticeable?

Leave some feedback on the redesign :)

And yes, I know the percentages isn't included yet, but I need some sleep :P

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:48 am

I'm not a fan of the numbers being so squished together but the 900+ stats being in green looks good.

I can't understand why the asteroid resources are on there unless their stats do shift now? I've not been mining since I came back to the game but when I did the stats never changed and the 'roid locations don't move.
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:40 pm

kelsaka wrote:I'm not a fan of the numbers being so squished together but the 900+ stats being in green looks good.

I can't understand why the asteroid resources are on there unless their stats do shift now? I've not been mining since I came back to the game but when I did the stats never changed and the 'roid locations don't move.
I actually think the box is taking up more space than the stats do in the live 'Current Resources' page, but the reasoning for the change would be that you can more easily compare stats on two current resources.

The asteroid resources are just on there because we've never bothered to remove them from the current resources page. I fixed them on the redesign of the page (Turns out some code was needing change to remove them too)

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:41 pm

I was about to reply with "What box?" but I had the sudden thought of viewing the page in IE (I use Firefox on a mac) and there it is :D

The stats look fine in IE and Safari (tried that browser too) but in Firefox all the data gets squished together with no box dividing it up.
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:45 pm

kelsaka wrote:I was about to reply with "What box?" but I had the sudden thought of viewing the page in IE (I use Firefox on a mac) and there it is :D

The stats look fine in IE and Safari (tried that browser too) but in Firefox all the data gets squished together with no box dividing it up.
Odd seeing that I only tested in Firefox, wonder if there is a difference between Windows edition and Mac edition :S

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:15 am

Could be. I clicked the link again this morning and all looks good now :)
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:19 pm

I agree with somebody saying something such as 'erase redundant text'. Rather have an explanation bottommost if that seems necessary.

Example from the Gorath page:
Distaermetate, Lubricating Oil (Heris / -- ) (Unavailable)

rather than

Distaermetate, Lubricating Oil (Entered By Heris / Not Verified) (Unavailable)

SWGCraft Parser >> SWGParser

The less text the less disturbance for the eyes.

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Personally I like having links underlined, that makes browsing easy and unexpected links stand out.

Yes, I know there are settings in all web browsers that let you override this. But for example in Firefox the only option that I have found then also turns off all coloring to pages (I may be ignorant but then there others in an even worse position I guess). I have not had a look in MSIE.

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Ooh, I just flipped to the All Planets view. The same goes for the text reduction here since the boxes gets too wide if the browser width is not full screen and font size quite small (yeah, I use glasses :P ).

days ago >>> d
hours ago >>> h

Remove >>> Del
Unavailable >>> Gone

Planet names may be abbreviated down to 3 or 4 letters. We all know their real names anyway.

These suggestions above would remedy the weird looks of the boxes as I have tried to capture in the image below. The top box has some weird line feeds, as also the middle box has as a result of the "surrounding" boxes combined with the long planet name. The bottom image just has some extra spaces after the planet name, inevitably so, but with abbreviated names this is less of a problem.

The suggestions are of course small and some may seem nitpicking, but in the end of the day, user friendliness and GUI affordance is just about that, the tiny details.

The site is great and together we can drive it to perfection ;)

/Z
Last edited by Zimoon on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Zimoon wrote:Personally I like having links underlined, that makes browsing easy and unexpected links stand out.

Yes, I know there are settings in all web browsers that let you override this. But for example in Firefox the only option that I have found then also turns off all coloring to pages (I may be ignorant but then there others in an even worse position I guess). I have not had a look in MSIE.

/Z
Added underlining to most links (Except stuff like menu links because that would look silly)

Also, the redesigned version now has the Entered By and Not Verified text replaced as suggested

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Sobuno wrote:Added underlining to most links (Except stuff like menu links because that would look silly)

Also, the redesigned version now has the Entered By and Not Verified text replaced as suggested
You are simply amazing me with your quick fixes. May I give you a friendly hug?

/tiphat

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Usernames in the planet box are now shortened to 8 characters with .. afterwards (As to fix any problem with long usernames instead of just shortening SWGCraft Parser's username)

The time since spawned is now: s=seconds, m=minutes, h=hours, d=days and c=centuries (Doubt the last one will ever get used though)

Oh, and the percentages are back, percentages equal to or above 90% are listed in green. The percentages are always rounded down (So a resource with a cap of 1000 with a stat of 949 will be 94%)

Shortening the planets' names would shorten their names on every single page on the site, so it's not something I am going to do at the moment

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:33 pm

Cool and thanks.
Still the problem with weird line feeds are there. Even for boxes with only one planet in them. That seems to come from the fact that the table width and the max width of the boxes are hard coded, as read in the styles.css.

Here I only discuss, no suggestions: Does it make sense to have the table width dynamic rather than static? Is there a reason to have the width set to 725 rather than 90% or similar?

Maximizing the web browser does not help if the widths are set in stone.

Yes, I use a slightly larger font size than maybe is common (minimum 14) since I read a lot on screen and my eyes are really aching after a while otherwise. I guess that is why I find these thingies that may remain unnoticed by others.

Again, you are doing a great and appreciated job S

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Changed it to 90% aswell as the stats table to 58% (Of the 90% that is :P)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Great. I admit now there are only small things left. I will haunt you on them when the rest of the features are in place :P

/Z