Social experiences of gaming

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Social experiences of gaming

Post by Yasdnil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:17 pm

As a keen gamer, I am researching the positive experiences and effects of playing video games. I am particularly interested in the social experiences of gaming and the links with mood. I am looking for lots of keen gamers to complete my questionnaire (see web-link below). Alternatively, if you know anyone who would be interested, please feel free to forward the link onto them.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/228108/-so ... e-outcomes

I would really appreciate your help on this.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on my research.
Thank-you.
Kind regards,
Yasdnil

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Social experiences of gaming

Post by Zimoon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

A nice student's survey even if many questions didn't really match my thoughts. It was good that it didn't force you to reply to all options, it is possible to leave them blank if they do not feel apt for you.

/Zimoon

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Post by Yasdnil » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Hello Zimoon,
Thank-you for your comments and for your time in helping me with my research. :-)

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Social experiences in gaming

Post by Yasdnil » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 am

Thank-you to those of you who have already helped me with my research by completing my questionnaire. I am lstill ooking for willing volunteers.......

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:16 pm

I moved your new post to add it to your existing thread. We prefer to not have duplicate threads on more then one forum.

This will accomplish the same purpose for you, which I believe was to "bump" your survey so it will be listed on the front page. We dont like "bumping" here by the way either :D

I participated in your survey and would encourage others here to do the same.

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Post by Yasdnil » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Savacc,
That's fine, thank-you. Sorry, I will not "bump" again. :oops:

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Post by Yasdnil » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:33 am

I will be closing the questionnaire soon, so if you still wish to take part in my research I would really appreciate your help.
Thank-you to those of you who have already helped me; you're great!
Please let me know if you have any questions/comments.
Thank-you.
Yasdnil

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Post by Yasdnil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:43 pm

The questionnaire has now closed. Once again, I would like to thank you for your time and interest in my research. I will be returning at some point over the next fews weeks to let you know my main findings.
Bye for now.

Yasdnil
Novice Crafter

Post by Yasdnil » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 am

As promised, I'm back to share my findings with you lovely people who have taken part in my research. :)

Aims
My study aimed to look at the influence of flow (positive feelings during gaming) on mood after playing videogames. Also, to see the differences in flow and mood between solo and social gaming experiences.I also wanted to look at the role of competitiveness and aspects of aggression on gaming experiences and mood after game-play.

Findings
Positive flow was positively linked to positive mood after game-play in both solo and social gaming experiences. Also, social gaming experiences resulted in higher positive mood following gameplay compared to solo experiences. This suggests gaming to be a highly enjoyable experience but playing with others as opposed to alone leads to heightened perceptions of positive mood after gameplay.

There were no differences in experiences of flow between solo and social experiences and no differences in negative mood following gameplay between the two experiences.

When comparing competitive versus cooperative gameplay and online versus offline contexts, there were no differences in experiences of flow during play, or positive or negative mood after gameplay. (I want to look at this a bit more closely for the future because I think expereinces between these can actually be different and so maybe if I do the study in a different way, I might find something else.....)

Competitiveness was positively related to flow and positive mood for social gaming experiences but not for solo ones. It is also noteworthy that competitiveness did not show to be related to negative mood in neither solo nor social gaming experiences. This suggests competitiveness to be a positive part of the gaming experience, in particular for social gaming.

Those are pretty much the main findings. My future research plans are to do some more focus groups or interviews with gamers to look at any differences in online versus offline gaming experiences because this hasn't really been studied before.

If any of you have any ideas/suggestions you think would be interesting to research, I would be very happy to hear them.

Thank-you once again for your help and support in my research.
Kind regards,
Yasdnil