Ships for Asteroid Mining

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Ships for Asteroid Mining

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Is it possible to outfit one of the Luxury Yachts for asteroid mining?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Asteroids and where to find them

Post by Savacc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:23 pm

wrackspurt wrote:Is it possible to outfit one of the Luxury Yachts for asteroid mining?
No. You must replace a "weapon mount" on the ship with a Mining Laser. Ideally you want to replace a second "weapon mount" with a Tractor Beam. The Yacht has no "weapon mount", so it couldnt be outfitted for mining. You also need to add a Cargo Hold to the ship.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:27 pm

I have found the B-Wing to be the most adaptable ship for asteroid mining, I can throw a good mining laser, tractor beam on board and still have two guns for defence, about the only negative is the cargohold restriction.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Yep, B-Wing is much the reason I became a Rebel pilot. To finally get one of those. Ever since I got to fly one in Rebel Assault 2, I can never forget them. But, that is a long ways off. Going up in piloting levels is rough.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:31 am

I am slowly dragging my way through the last box of experience but I have to admit the 7 million required is becoming so much of a drag I have all but given up and started my imperial collection for the Gunship.

I think I will probably stick to the X-Wing Advanced for a combat vessel and devote my time to building a top of the line Gunship when I have the experience.

velrahnkoon
Novice Crafter

Post by velrahnkoon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Monty Burns wrote:I am slowly dragging my way through the last box of experience but I have to admit the 7 million required is becoming so much of a drag I have all but given up and started my imperial collection for the Gunship.

I think I will probably stick to the X-Wing Advanced for a combat vessel and devote my time to building a top of the line Gunship when I have the experience.

Monty, you don't need to grind the last 7 mil for master pilot. Just do the two missions from Admiral Burke on Talus and you're an Ace. Kill 30 TIEs in Kessel, then take out a corvette in Kessel are the 2 missions.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 pm

velrahnkoon wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:I am slowly dragging my way through the last box of experience but I have to admit the 7 million required is becoming so much of a drag I have all but given up and started my imperial collection for the Gunship.

Monty, you don't need to grind the last 7 mil for master pilot. Just do the two missions from Admiral Burke on Talus and you're an Ace. Kill 30 TIEs in Kessel, then take out a corvette in Kessel are the 2 missions.

Well that ought to speed things up although I am not sure I have the firepower to handle things in Kessel especially a Corevette (it was hard enough soloing the Corvette to get the X-Wing Advanced). I guess I will try talking to Admiral Burke although I am guessing that will entail finishing the missions on Rori first.

velrahnkoon
Novice Crafter

Post by velrahnkoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:28 am

Monty Burns wrote:
velrahnkoon wrote:

Well that ought to speed things up although I am not sure I have the firepower to handle things in Kessel especially a Corevette (it was hard enough soloing the Corvette to get the X-Wing Advanced). I guess I will try talking to Admiral Burke although I am guessing that will entail finishing the missions on Rori first.
You need to train the astromech 4 box (box 16 I think). Then your trainer will send you to Burke. The Corvette is solo-able with an Adv. X-Wing. It's not easy, but it is doable. Best thing is to get a friend with a gunboat and tear it up.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:35 am

Is it possible to use a Y-Wing for mining and just have no guns for defense, or maybe just a missile launcher?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:53 am

yes, the tractor beam is nice but it isn't essential so you can just have the mining laser and one gun for self defence.

I am a little worried we have taken the "Asteroid location" thread a little off track here though, wonder if a mod can split the unrelated posts to a thread of their own?

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Monty Burns wrote:yes, the tractor beam is nice but it isn't essential so you can just have the mining laser and one gun for self defence.

I am a little worried we have taken the "Asteroid location" thread a little off track here though, wonder if a mod can split the unrelated posts to a thread of their own?
I split the posts into a new topic.

A mininig laser will do damage to enemy ships. Even against tier 1 ships it takes several hits to kill one though. My favorite mining ship is the Krayt. I have tried a Y-8 rigged for solo mining. The Y-8 mining laser is an adequate ship killer, by the way. I just could never get used to the sluggish movement of the big Y-8.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Savacc wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:yes, the tractor beam is nice but it isn't essential so you can just have the mining laser and one gun for self defence.

I split the posts into a new topic.

A mininig laser will do damage to enemy ships. Even against tier 1 ships it takes several hits to kill one though. My favorite mining ship is the Krayt. I have tried a Y-8 rigged for solo mining. The Y-8 mining laser is an adequate ship killer, by the way. I just could never get used to the sluggish movement of the big Y-8.

I am still 1 mission short (and 6.2 million xp) of Master pilot and have completed the Y-8 quest but I have been leaning toward using a B-Wing with:
1xMining laser MkIII
1xTractor Beam
2xDefensive Gun

For the T4-T5 area Mining and the Y-8 for low level harvesting.

Currently I am using an Advanced X-Wing with:
1xMk III Mining Laser
1xTractor Beam
1xDefensive gun
5000 unit Cargo hold.

My previous ship was a Y-Wing Long Probe (worked well for mining areas up to and including Yavin asteroids).
1xMk III Mining Laser
1xDefencive gun
5000 unit Cargo hold.

Both of these ships were armed with missiles as well.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Re: Ships for Asteroid Mining

Post by wrackspurt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:06 pm

So when you're mining out there, you're shooting at the asteroid and watching pieces of it come off. What exactly should it look like when a chunk comes off that you can actually grab? Red Dwarf's guide was unclear about that. Because I was blasting away the other day, then got distracted by rogue droid fighters and didn't see anything that looked the way he described it.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 pm

wrackspurt wrote:So when you're mining out there, you're shooting at the asteroid and watching pieces of it come off. What exactly should it look like when a chunk comes off that you can actually grab? Red Dwarf's guide was unclear about that. Because I was blasting away the other day, then got distracted by rogue droid fighters and didn't see anything that looked the way he described it.
The process is:
- Shoot at the asteroid until you see a large (target-able) chunk break off (it will show up as a white dot on your radar).

- Shoot that fragment until it breaks into several bits.

- Shoot the bits to get them into your cargo hold.

Rinse and repeat.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:22 am

The "bits" can be very hard to see.
Make a macro with the command -/tar ast- and bind it to your flightstick or keyboard
This will target the nearest "asteroid ..." be it "asteroid chunk", "asteroid bit" or "asteroid bandit"