Site idea: general categories (i.e. chemical, mineral etc)

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Site idea: general categories (i.e. chemical, mineral etc)

Post by Sky- Industries » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 am

General categories (i.e. chemical, mineral, gas etc) should not be markable as completed. If you are going to allow the general categories to be marked as completed then allow us to correct the error.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Site idea: general categories (i.e. chemical, mineral etc)

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:12 am

I am interested in more details about how you reason on this one, please.

Back in the old days this feature was only used by those that used ISDroids, since then they really knew a category was completed. Unless using such droids a player cannot be sure that a category is completed for the entire galaxy. SWGAide still don't have this feature but it will be thrown in later than sooner ;)

Welcome here and congrats to your first post :D

/Zimoon

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Thank you for the welcome note and for the reply.
Let me re-phrase my suggestion. If you collapse all of the categories you are left with the following:
+ Renewable Energy - Mark As Completed
Nobody has marked this as completed yet.
+ Creature Resources - Mark As Completed
.Wilma. marked as completed 36 days ago ago
+ Flora Resource - Mark As Completed
+ Chemical - Mark As Completed
ThorCorp marked as completed 75 days ago ago
+ Water Vapor - Mark As Completed
+ Mineral - Mark As Completed
xylet13 marked as completed 67 days ago ago
+ Gas - Mark As Completed
jo'mann marked as completed 7 days ago ago

These are the general resource categories. I define "marked as completed..." as the resource is no longer available. Clearly, the general categories will never be completed. Again, my suggestion is to remove the ability to mark a general category as completed. Alternatively, I suggest the ability to unmark a general category that has been marked as completed (in case it was not done intentionally to advertise or other reason).

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Sky- Industries wrote:Thank you for the welcome note and for the reply.
Let me re-phrase my suggestion. If you collapse all of the categories you are left with the following:
+ Renewable Energy - Mark As Completed
+ Creature Resources - Mark As Completed
.Wilma. marked as completed 36 days ago ago
+ Flora Resource - Mark As Completed
+ Chemical - Mark As Completed
ThorCorp marked as completed 75 days ago ago
+ Water Vapor - Mark As Completed
+ Mineral - Mark As Completed
xylet13 marked as completed 67 days ago ago
+ Gas - Mark As Completed
jo'mann marked as completed 7 days ago ago

These are the general resource categories. I define "marked as completed..." as the resource is no longer available. Clearly, the general categories will never be completed. Again, my suggestion is to remove the ability to mark a general category as completed. Alternatively, I suggest the ability to unmark a general category that has been marked as completed (in case it was not done intentionally to advertise or other reason).
I marked one of the occurences for "marked as completed". Hopefully jo'mann had used 10 ISDroids for the 10 core planets plus visited Mustafar and Kashyyyk to manually check what is and what is not in spawn there. When that is done s/he can mark "Gas" (in this case) as completed, everything is OK at the time s/he marks it as complete.

Your definitions is a bit off. It should rather be defined as "at this split second the resource class X is accurate, those resource that are listed really are in spawn, none is missing, and none of them has despawned".

Probably the term "Mark as accurate" could replace "Mark as complete". Both notifies the same thing, the set of resources listed when marking as completed is accurate. One hour later it might not be. Whatever, it gives an idea of when everything was last in sync with the worlds. That is why the date/time is important, a "complete" resource class is perishable.

Does this make more sense?

Cheers

/Zimoon

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Hello,

Thanks for entertaining the ideas.

Mark(ed) as "accurate" makes far more sense.

However, I'm going to vote no confidence on the accuracy of creature resources, since no creature survey tool exists to use with an ISD (Inter-Planetary Droid). This means that a person or group of people would have to truly gather each type of creature resource from each planet and then manually type in each one into the webpage. I'm not saying it cannot be done. Specifically, creature resources shouldn't have a marked as "accurate" line.

Furthermore, the line "xyz marked as accurate 75+ days ago ago (ago ago is not a typo, the webpage is actually displayed that way" should be automatically replaced with "abc marked as updated 30 minutes ago ago" (or any variation of such wording). The automatic replacement would occur every time anyone adds and/or removes a resource. If we skip the whole marked as "accurate" and leave only an automatic updated line then we could address multiple suggestions.
1. assuming it was removed, we could add the line back to creature resources
2. we would not need to worry if the user in fact used an ISD
3. assuming it was implemented, we would not need to have the ability to unmark the line in case of error

Best Regards,

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Sky- Industries wrote:Hello,

Thanks for entertaining the ideas.

Mark(ed) as "accurate" makes far more sense.

However, I'm going to vote no confidence on the accuracy of creature resources, since no creature survey tool exists to use with an ISD (Inter-Planetary Droid). This means that a person or group of people would have to truly gather each type of creature resource from each planet and then manually type in each one into the webpage. I'm not saying it cannot be done. Specifically, creature resources shouldn't have a marked as "accurate" line.

This is not true. I can easily do all the Creature Resources in about half an hour, using the new feature in SWGAide for submission where ISDroids are not required, plus a 30k veteran resource deed as a device to look up the stats from. Inaccuracies within those 30 minute span, yeah, we have to live with that :P

Furthermore, the line "xyz marked as accurate 75+ days ago ago (ago ago is not a typo, the webpage is actually displayed that way" should be automatically replaced with "abc marked as updated 30 minutes ago ago" (or any variation of such wording). The automatic replacement would occur every time anyone adds and/or removes a resource. If we skip the whole marked as "accurate" and leave only an automatic updated line then we could address multiple suggestions.
1. assuming it was removed, we could add the line back to creature resources
2. we would not need to worry if the user in fact used an ISD
3. assuming it was implemented, we would not need to have the ability to unmark the line in case of error

Best Regards,
I don't want to enter along-winded polemic with you about what the phrase means or does not mean. It has a history, many years ago, possibly it should be reviewed, clarified or whatever. However, you are obviously trying to read something into the phrase that is not meant to be. That does not change its meaning.

Right now it just means that at some point in time a player was confident enough to mark that category of resources as "completed", s/he had done them all: marked everything not spawning as unavailable, and added every new resource with its stats to the database. The view at that time is a complete snapshot of what is spawning at that particular time. Whether the term "completed" or "accurate" is the better is more not-picking than constructive.

That new resources can be added to that category at a later point in time does not change the fact that a player had marked the category as completed. These later players might not feel confident enough to mark it as completed. Or they simply overlooked or omitted the possibility to mark the category as completed. Still it does not change the fact that the category was complete at one point in time, that snapshot was accurate.

Each single resource has a time stamp that tells when it was added.

However, that a resource is added/marked-unavailable at one point in time means nothing in regards to all the other resources in that category. Your suggestions means nothing more, nor less, than the current phrase does. It could actually informally imply that the resources are all updated while in fact it was a one-timer that added some hide s/he found while all other hides are depleted days ago.

Personally I could rather live without any of these remarks to the categories, I don't use them. The individual dates for each resource is enough. The "New" icon shows you what is new since your most recent visit. Utilities such as SWGAide shows the resources listed by age or whatever preferences you may have.

If these remarks on the categories are confusing, remove them.
If it rather is the user that should learn what they really mean, ...

I am a pragmatic person, the only reason I have ever posted in this thread is to illuminate what is the current meaning of these remarks. Nothing else. No politics, no nothing. And I am not a developer/admin at this site so I have no power in the regard ;)

/Zimoon

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Thank you for the response.

"I can easily do all the Creature Resources in about half an hour, using the new feature in SWGAide for submission where ISDroids are not required, plus a 30k veteran resource deed as a device to look up the stats from. Inaccuracies within those 30 minute span, yeah..." Incomplete, right. That’s why I vote no confidence.

"I don't want to enter along-winded polemic..." I agree.

"Personally I could rather live without any of these remarks to the categories, I don't use them. The individual dates for each resource is enough. The "New" icon shows you what is new since your most recent visit. Utilities such as SWGAide shows the resources listed by age or whatever preferences you may have." I agree.

"the only reason I have ever posted in this thread is to illuminate what is the current meaning of these remarks. Nothing else. No politics, no nothing. And I am not a developer/admin at this site so I have no power in the regard" Seriously, thank you for enlightening me.

Best regards,

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Sky- Industries wrote:Thank you for the response.

"I can easily do all the Creature Resources in about half an hour, using the new feature in SWGAide for submission where ISDroids are not required, plus a 30k veteran resource deed as a device to look up the stats from. Inaccuracies within those 30 minute span, yeah..." Incomplete, right. That’s why I vote no confidence.
I didn't understand what you mean there, everything is complete, except for if anything changes during these 30 minutes. Is that incomplete?
/Zimoon

PS: The likelihood that anything changes within these 30 minutes is really low. The average lifespan is 14 days, it is a quite finite number of resources, and only 30 minutes. You do the math for me, please :P

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Thank you for the response.

At the end of the statement you wrote:
"Inaccuracies within those 30 minute span, yeah, we have to live with that :P "

Best Regards,

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Sky- Industries wrote:Thank you for the response.

At the end of the statement you wrote:
"Inaccuracies within those 30 minute span, yeah, we have to live with that :P "

Best Regards,
:roll: