Since the SOE forums don't allow for "general crafting"

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Since the SOE forums don't allow for "general crafting"

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:59 pm

idea's (ones that apply to all trades) where would be the best place to ask about changes to the 30k Crate set up?

At this point in the game I think the 30k Crate should have Geothermal Energy listed and I also think given the number of spawns since the servers went live it would be really useful if the reversed the ordering of the crate so that the newest resources were listed first.

Both of these features would help updating this site a lot and I think it would make using the crate for its "intended" purpose a lot easier as well.

I realise some people will say that the crate was designed as a one use item and changing it is therefore pointless but I think it fair to say that the usage of the crate has been changed by the crafting community since its addition to being a method of obtaining resource stats and perhaps its time that this change was reflected in the functionality of the deed.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Since the SOE forums don't allow for "general crafting"

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Monty Burns wrote:idea's (ones that apply to all trades) where would be the best place to ask about changes to the 30k Crate set up?

At this point in the game I think the 30k Crate should have Geothermal Energy listed and I also think given the number of spawns since the servers went live it would be really useful if the reversed the ordering of the crate so that the newest resources were listed first.

Both of these features would help updating this site a lot and I think it would make using the crate for its "intended" purpose a lot easier as well.

I realise some people will say that the crate was designed as a one use item and changing it is therefore pointless but I think it fair to say that the usage of the crate has been changed by the crafting community since its addition to being a method of obtaining resource stats and perhaps its time that this change was reflected in the functionality of the deed.
I know it is brought up the last week by andhanni in the Structure forum, I guess it doesn't matter, but supporting that thread is possible the best thing.

There are some resource classes that it does not list, yes. Intentionally or not, I don't know.

I don't think you will get them to reverse the order, I guess it is not supported to "work this way" as we use it for ;)

Personally I have one of my buttons at the mouse programmed as Ctrl-End. That is handy at that list, as well as to quickly end up at the bottom of lengthy forum threads :P

But we don't get anything unless we ask for it, do we? :D

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 pm

I agree that the purpose we are using it for was not part of its design but I would also suggest that the vast majority of deeds out there are now being used for this purpose, not necessarily for updating this site but certainly for providing crafters the stats of current spawns, all I am suggesting is "perhaps" the developers should recognise this.

Personally I think the whole ISD system should be upgraded to include Kashyyyk and Mustafar and to include the stats of the materials found.

I would love to see new droids that incorporate the survey tool or even a new "universal survey tool" that had the option via increased time to return the stats with the survey report.

ie..
You can send an ISD to a planet and in 20 minutes it will return the survey (no stats) and 60 minutes you get a full survey report (including stats).

Incidentally I know that in other games (SOE ones included) developers read other message boards, do they "covertly" check this one out or is it worth pointing out to them that this is probable the biggest crafting community board outside of their own and perhaps its worth looking at once in a while.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:38 pm

I agree, shot them, unless they implement it better :)

alibegoa
Novice Crafter

Post by alibegoa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Monty Burns wrote:I agree that the purpose we are using it for was not part of its design but I would also suggest that the vast majority of deeds out there are now being used for this purpose, not necessarily for updating this site but certainly for providing crafters the stats of current spawns, all I am suggesting is "perhaps" the developers should recognise this.

Personally I think the whole ISD system should be upgraded to include Kashyyyk and Mustafar and to include the stats of the materials found.

I would love to see new droids that incorporate the survey tool or even a new "universal survey tool" that had the option via increased time to return the stats with the survey report.

ie..
You can send an ISD to a planet and in 20 minutes it will return the survey (no stats) and 60 minutes you get a full survey report (including stats).

Incidentally I know that in other games (SOE ones included) developers read other message boards, do they "covertly" check this one out or is it worth pointing out to them that this is probable the biggest crafting community board outside of their own and perhaps its worth looking at once in a while.
Such great ideas!!! And one more type of ISD (more expensive and complicated to make) that visits all the planets. I dont know about you but constantly clicking on ISD and having to choose a planet is killing me.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 am

Recently Halcyon-Draconis posted an idea at the official DE board in the lines of
  • keep the current ISD as is
  • add a new consumable droid type, very like the ISD, that returns a dozen or so waypoints, but you still have to visit them yourself to scout the terrain and the exact concentration
Personally I don't think that we will ever get anything that gives us the stats as it is by many considered a mini-game in the game. Cumbersome? Yes!

It also differentiates the crafters, those that really put in the effort into staying at the edge from the casual crafter and combateers that just have a crafter for whatever reason.

Stats or not stats from droids have been discussed over and over again. Normally the discussion ends up with a bunch of seasoned crafters, veterans, that don't want it. The mini-game is praised. Biased of course, they want to stay ahead of the pack ;)

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Zimoon wrote:Recently Halcyon-Draconis posted an idea at the official DE board in the lines of
  • add a new consumable droid type, very like the ISD, that returns a dozen or so waypoints, but you still have to visit them yourself to scout the terrain and the exact concentration

I really hate this idea, to me is shows a remarkable lack of imagination and initiative and it completely ignores the problems people have with ISD's.
To me the mini-game is not finding the stats I can sit at any starport and do that, the mini-game is finding a good concentration of the resource.
I also believe that ISDs need to be changed to incorporate the survey tool and I would prefer a new droid (more expensive and materials intensive) that carries a "universal tool" so that I can send one droid to survey a planet.

Personally I don't think that we will ever get anything that gives us the stats as it is by many considered a mini-game in the game. Cumbersome? Yes!
Fine then give us an "ISD Launcher Terminal" that allows us to load it with ISDs and select either an individual planet or all planets and what we want to survey for (check box style) and it launches the ISDs for us but retains the mail report output.
It also differentiates the crafters, those that really put in the effort into staying at the edge from the casual crafter and combateers that just have a crafter for whatever reason.

Stats or not stats from droids have been discussed over and over again. Normally the discussion ends up with a bunch of seasoned crafters, veterans, that don't want it. The mini-game is praised. Biased of course, they want to stay ahead of the pack ;)

/Zimoon

I disagree that stats differentiate the crafter any idiot can starport hop or come here and get the stats the thing that differentiate crafters is finding the high concentrations, knowing where to look and how to maximise the harvest return, it is that I see as the mini-game.

alibegoa
Novice Crafter

Post by alibegoa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Recently Halcyon-Draconis posted an idea at the official DE board in the lines of

I really hate this idea, to me is shows a remarkable lack of imagination and initiative and it completely ignores the problems people have with ISD's.
To me the mini-game is not finding the stats I can sit at any starport and do that, the mini-game is finding a good concentration of the resource.
I also believe that ISDs need to be changed to incorporate the survey tool and I would prefer a new droid (more expensive and materials intensive) that carries a "universal tool" so that I can send one droid to survey a planet.

Fine then give us an "ISD Launcher Terminal" that allows us to load it with ISDs and select either an individual planet or all planets and what we want to survey for (check box style) and it launches the ISDs for us but retains the mail report output.

/Zimoon

I disagree that stats differentiate the crafter any idiot can starport hop or come here and get the stats the thing that differentiate crafters is finding the high concentrations, knowing where to look and how to maximise the harvest return, it is that I see as the mini-game.
My line of thinking too. Mini game should be to know what to mine, to find highest concentrations, and finding right buyers if you mine to sell. Not mindlessly checking stats every day.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 am

alibegoa wrote:My line of thinking too. Mini game should be to know what to mine, to find highest concentrations, and finding right buyers if you mine to sell. Not mindlessly checking stats every day.
Indeed to me the difference between the dedicated and casual crafter is in understanding your resources ie what resource is better in what component.

in terms of how resources are gathered it is being able to look at the stats and determine whether you need the resource or not ie. is it better for some components that what you already have and finding the most efficient concentrations of those resources on their spawned planets.

It never ceases to amaze me that in a world where we can build starfighters, bases and countless weapons we for some reason cannot get a decent and sensible interface for ISDs.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:idea's (ones that apply to all trades) where would be the best place to ask about changes to the 30k Crate set up?

I know it is brought up the last week by andhanni in the Structure forum, I guess it doesn't matter, but supporting that thread is possible the best thing.

There are some resource classes that it does not list, yes. Intentionally or not, I don't know.

/Zimoon
Actually Geothermal used to be listed (along with tidal energy btw). While it wasn't used until the Beast Master crafting was added in, there have been spawns for a very long time. The issue was that people were claiming resources that weren't really used by the system and so the entire category of Renewable Energy was removed. There have been various requests for it to be added back in ever since they removed it a year or so ago.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator