Is there a market for this business venture?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Is there a market for this business venture?

Post by Ruh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Not that it is a new idea, it is just one I have finally decided to commit to.

Anyways, a question for you seasoned crafters around the Galaxies. Would you be interested in buying pre-made subcomponents for your wares? If so what kind?

By subcomponents I mean both types made with grind quality resources and those made with high quality resources. While I understand that there is already a dependency on other professions I am more so curious if, for instance, an already well established Armorsmith would purchase pre-made capped cores/layers for their armor instead of making their own. Or if an established Droid Engineer would find it convientent to purchase a run of Droid Chassis rather than making their own. Perhaps there is a Chef out there that doesn't want to bother making their own additives?

I have been wanting to get into crafting for awhile. I have finally decided to do it on a small scale in that I will craft for myself a guildies, but don't want to have to operate a "full" operation. I would like to make some money (who doesn't) and thought it would be a nice idea of specializing in subcomponents.

Any takers? :lol:
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Re: Is there a market for this business venture?

Post by Laidbacca » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:52 pm

It may well work OK for newer traders who won't either have the resource depth or spread of resources that an elder player would have, as they start to aquire there own resources then you would probably find them starting to use less and less of your sub parts. One major downside to it is the cost, newer or even established traders might find it cost prohibitive compared to using there own resources, at the end of the day they will generally want to be at, or as near to server prices as they can with there finished products, if your sub parts cost to much then it wouldn't be economical for them.

The likes of wall/structural modules, fibre/reinforced panels have allways sold well, perhaps selling the sub parts that other traders need like the fibre panels/power cores etc may provide a more lucrative line as you will build up a repeat business thru time.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:24 am

I could see a market for sub-combines used in multi-crafter items such as Advanced Control Units and Advanced Micro Sensor Suites for Incubators especially if you can make high quality units.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 am

I agree, my first real crafter after Zimoon as pre-NGE Medic/Doctor with all that crafting, a Tailor, manufactured a lot of components that WS bought in about the same speed I emptied my factory. Probably I was lucky that Zimoon provided her with Hide all the time and that recyclers were in place ;)

/Zimoon

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 pm

My business partner and I do a ton of sub component sales, we do capped stuff and stuff where the stats don't matter.
Just need to prince things accordingly and things should sell.

Belisama
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Belisama » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:19 am

Hoi,

i am tailor and offer stuff that WS need: :)
Armor Padding
Fiberplast Panel
Synthetic Cloth
Reinforced Fiber Panel
Your domestic trader at Starsider TOG Mall: Tat WP -5101 -3308
You have resource for sale ? Check the TOG Holonet Channel for my offer
In Memoriam for all BE

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:21 am

I know I would be a happy camper if I could find a DE selling high quality subcombines for incubators on Sunrunner at a reasonable price, currently the only ones on the market are in the millions for a crate of 25 and they are all medium to low quality.

Newmoon
Novice Crafter

Post by Newmoon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes there is. I have yet to sell a single droid, I make the subcombines. I price usually around 6 cpu for the grind quality stuff. I have 3 factories that run fairly constantly.
A single run of beastmaster components locks one up for about a week ( those I price at 10 cpu, grind resources experimented out, or 20 cpu for the good stuff).

Saamm
Novice Crafter

Post by Saamm » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:51 pm

I supply Sub-Components to my guild and they sell quite well, mainly to memebers who do alot of PVP or PVE comabt and don't have alot of crafting time, they also may lake the lot space to have a couple of factories down. So I recomend you start of with multi-trader comp's (ie fibre pannels) that are used by 2 traders yet only craftable by 1 as they are good sellers.
Saamm - Master Droid Engineer, Unity
Manager of Promtheus Droid Lot, Promtheus, Lok
Euro-FarStar