Pirates of the Burning Sea

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:50 pm

We still need a good 1720's sounding name for the society.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Hey did you guys read this. I've down loaded some tools sets too help with keeping track of resources and goods. Like a spreed sheet sorta thing but found it on the forums. Not sure what type of crafter I'll be. I'll make 2 crafters and a privteer
------------
As an added bonus, our Oceanic customers gain access to a limited edition in-game item, the Captain’s Cockatoo! The Captain’s Cockatoo is available to all new characters created in the first month of the Oceanic server, across all nations! All you have to do is create a character and the Captain’s Cockatoo will be standing on your shoulder to greet you.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Memnoc wrote:Hey did you guys read this. I've down loaded some tools sets too help with keeping track of resources and goods. Like a spreed sheet sorta thing but found it on the forums. Not sure what type of crafter I'll be. I'll make 2 crafters and a privteer
------------
As an added bonus, our Oceanic customers gain access to a limited edition in-game item, the Captain’s Cockatoo! The Captain’s Cockatoo is available to all new characters created in the first month of the Oceanic server, across all nations! All you have to do is create a character and the Captain’s Cockatoo will be standing on your shoulder to greet you.
I've got a lot of stuff for you man. First, here is a website I hit up for additional useful stuff.
Merchant's of the Burning Sea

Next, I recommend only doing one trader on there. You have 10 lots per server, not per character, so you will be using them all for your crafting or harvesting work.

And last, think the Oceanic server is for Aussies.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:21 am

Ok i'm hooked up my characters name is Whisky Black savacc whats your characters nick and are we staying on the Morgan server

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Memnoc wrote:Ok i'm hooked up my characters name is Whisky Black savacc whats your characters nick and are we staying on the Morgan server
That was a bit of fun last night. Tonight I will most likely be on a touch earlier and we can all hook up and go do some level grinding

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:24 pm

For those of you lurking this thread and borderline about it. Memnoc, Savacc and I are having fun so far and have formed the SWG Trademasters Society. If you're interested in joining us, we're on the Morgan Server as Brits. Contact any of the three of us and present your forum credentials :lol: and we'll bring you in.

Our toons are.

Jared Flinders
Whisky Black
Elena Rees

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:28 pm

I expect 1.5% of the profits from the society of me.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:18 pm

TradeMaster wrote:I expect 1.5% of the profits from the society of me.
Lol, you'll have to show up to expect a shot at it. :mrgreen:

Didn't even realize that until you said something.

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 pm

he robbed from the rich
and he gave to the poor
stood up to the man
and gave him what for
our love for him now
ain't hard to explain
the hero of Canton
the man they call Me

Byke
Novice Crafter

Post by Byke » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:55 am

I'm on rockham as a brit. Pretty fun game so far :)

Spare is there too :p
Byke - Just a guy
"Whoever said the pen was mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." -Douglas MacArthur"

Alodarn
Novice Crafter

Post by Alodarn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:12 pm

Rather preversely, PotBS is what got me back into SWG:

I was lucky enough to remember my station account details from way back, and when I signed up and applied Pirates, I noticed that SWG had a status of "pending" - huh? checked it out, and found it is a "come back - please" free trial.

As I had some time off coming to me, I went through the pain of installing it from the originial disks and then the patching - took about 2 days all told !!

And then I had my SWG - for 14 days, and um, now I'm subbed. I had heard horror stories about the NGE, but I personally don't think it is that bad, obviously I would change a number of things ... but I'm having a giggle working my way through the legacy quest at the moment.

But, anyways, onto PotBS - Been playing a fair bit on and off, and I thought I'd give anybody else thinging of giving it a go, a brief review - skewed for the crafty types.

As previously mentioned by others, you get a number of classes, but *anybody* can craft stuff, the only real advantage the freetrader gets over everybody else is he has a number of skills that he can pick that make him better at it, like the ability to use "elite" versions of the recipies that cost less/take less time. Nothing is the exclusive realm of the freetrader - however he will have spent less gold and taken less time to make the same item.

Everybody is a "combat" class in that you only get xp from fighting or questing, which is my first gripe, I had to level my freetrader upto 20th level just to place the structure he wanted to use.

The crafting system is very complex, fairly easy to understand and use, but tricky to actually use well.

Structures are the cornerstone of the process, they enable you to harvest the raw resources like wood and iron ore using logging camps and mines. They also cover the production process in that you have lumber mills and shipyards.

They cost money and resources to construct and you can only have 10 per server - even if you have multiple characters on the same one. They also have upkeep that is paid weekly, but it's not much.

The real cost is in the actually harvesting/production, each "bundle" (10 logs from a logging camp) cost a number of coins.

This means that all the products have a direct relationship to gold, nothing is "free" - no hand sampling in comparison.

But what makes it really impressive, is the sheer number of diffrent buildings you need to produce even simple items.
I decided that I would keep it simple, and only make ammo - and not ships - I mean, how hard can it be?
Well, to make cannon balls - the good ones - Brass ones - you need a fair bit.
First off, you need zinc and copper, to forge into brass. (2 mines + forge)
Then you need the gunpowder, which is saltpeter and sulfur. (cave + mine + powdermill)
Then you combine it all in a weaponsmith and finally you have your ammo! and 3 "slots" spare.

However, the resources are only available in certain ports, so if you do that, you have to open warehouses (storage area, that allows further building) all over the place - which is quite prohibitive.

Then I found out you can use a quest to get ammo - so gave that up.

In the end I decided to go insane and try my hand at making ships, if I was to do it all myself I worked out it would actually take a total of 24 buildings to do! over 2 accounts worth of slots - however if you source some of the key components from other players I'm able to do most of it myself and keep costs down, but still, a lot of travelling around to do just to make one batch. I've managed also to keep my number of warehouses down to just two.

Only slight problem, the two towns I've picked one starts owned by a enemy and is in one of the most contested areas of the game. Makes for interesting supply runs I guess.

I have managed to make a bit of a profit, but the initial capital I've sunk into the whole thing is quite sizeable too.

I wouldn't of been able to do it, if I wasn't also playing a privateer.

However, that all said, it is a good game, the quests are engaging, it doesn't crash, and looks nice. The combat engine is easy to use. But it's lacking "somthing".

Production of "stuff" costs a significant amount, and because of no grind required - if you have the raw materials and the recipe and the structure you can make it - however finding a buyer - diffrent matter.

Big gripe with the game, is that when you use a ship "deed" it's no longer tradeable. Good for the shipbuilder, but annoying when you outgrow your old ship and want a old one, as you have limited storage you end up having to destroy a perfectly good ship. The fact that sink a ship enough times it goes pop should of been good enough imho.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:07 pm

Alodarn wrote:Rather preversely, PotBS is what got me back into SWG:

I was lucky enough to remember my station account details from way back, and when I signed up and applied Pirates, I noticed that SWG had a status of "pending" - huh? checked it out, and found it is a "come back - please" free trial.

As I had some time off coming to me, I went through the pain of installing it from the originial disks and then the patching - took about 2 days all told !!

And then I had my SWG - for 14 days, and um, now I'm subbed. I had heard horror stories about the NGE, but I personally don't think it is that bad, obviously I would change a number of things ... but I'm having a giggle working my way through the legacy quest at the moment.
Hehe seems we have the same story, my old SWG account was always open thanks to a station player account but I had long since given up on it due to stories about the CU and then the NGE until about a week ago when burn out on EQ2 and a general desire to never see WoW again took over and I patched SWG.

I am not really noticing the changes introduced with the NGE (other than the reduced class numbers) although I am told many of them have already been rolled back, its just a pity the server populations are so low.

My one wish for SWG would be an interface overhaul I have always found the SWG interface to be awkward.

Anyway long story short I found SWG - The Complete Online Adventures for $9 and I am having a blast, I have been tempted to look at PotBS but to be honest I really have trouble splitting my time between games now and I am not sure I really want to add another to the list unless it turns out to be outstanding.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:17 pm

Awh man Byke, what are you guys doin' on Rockham?

Hmmm, next time I catch Savacc and Memnoc I'll see if they are interested in moving. I might be willing to play on Rock as busy as it seems to be.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:48 pm

As you may have noticed, I dont get much time to play. Starting over would be no big deal to me.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Savacc wrote:As you may have noticed, I dont get much time to play. Starting over would be no big deal to me.
Hmmm, and memnoc is still fairly low level so it wouldn't be too difficult for him either. I'm game if you guys are.

On a side note, I now have a few flags and sails in voting that I've been working on.