Creature Registry?

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Creature Registry?

Post by Rackle » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:01 am

There are so many good SWG sites...but they're all so out of date. SWGcreatures, and allahkazam's creature registrys are all from back when CH's still existed.

Nothing fancy- Creature Type, Name, Lvl, Planet, Meat, Meat QTY, Hide, Hide QTY, Bone, Bone QTY, Milk, Milk QTY.

Creature type would be..for example... Bolma...Creature Name would be Alpha bolma, or baby bolma. We'd group all the names under the type category.

The QTY fields would be what is harvested w/o any vaghash or harvesting droid help.

Dare I say....maybe even...a picture of each creature?

I'm not a web developer (even though I just installed apache, php, and mysql - and am In the process of learning how to use them!) If someone could throw together the frame work, and a way to upload the data, similar to how the upload for resources work, I and whoever else wanted to could begin to collect that data.

This would be useful to Domestics and Structures traders looking for where to find creature resources, and which creatures yield the best results.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Trouble with listing a quantity (QTY) is that there is a random factor thrown in for creature harvesting. All creatures are given a Fat, Normal or Skinny rating. Occording to Lunariel, in his guide to resource shifts, it works very much like resource concentrations when you survey them. That is certain areas will have a high concentration of say Bone, and give more creatures that are "fat".

Ya know, it just occures to me, I have done no resource farming since the NGE. It is possible this feature could have been removed from the game and I never knew it.

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Rackle » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:06 am

Hi Savacc,

I think you actually made my point, without meaning to!

So much of the SWG data is pre-nge...so much has changed since pre-cu. I think many of those who maintained the original sites gave up after all the changes, and we're left a lot of outdated guides.

By starting fresh, and rebuilding from the ground up, we can assure that everything on this new site is accurate.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:42 am

Of course I ment creature resource hunting. I harvest stuff out of the ground all the time.

Does anyone know if you get the message "you harvest xxx units of meat, the crature was fat (normal, skinny)" since the NGE?

Im going into the game now, mabe Ill kill some things and find out.

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Rackle » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:06 am

I've been doing a good bit of creature harvesting lately... and have not recieved any messages of ...well.... fatness?

Also, my quantities have been very consistant based on creature type.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:13 pm

Yes that is what I found out too last night. I forgot to come here and post after I logged out, but ya know how that goes, play the game till you get too tired and then stagger off to bed.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:01 pm

I could begin on something like this when and if I get the time to do it (Have to finish some other parts of the site first, namely schematics and resource contributors).... It'll only be the basic framework though, you guys have to input the data :D

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu May 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Almost went a month without me getting any time apparently. Anyway, first step of the process of making a creature part of the site is here:

You can now add creatures to the "creature tree" by going to this link: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/addcreature.php (You need to be logged in)

Remember to check the "Selectable" field if it is a real creature or else you won't be able to input QTY data later on for that creature

Please only add real creatures (and categories/types)

You can see the "creature tree" here: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/creature_tree.php

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Thu May 17, 2007 7:13 pm

As far as SWGCreaures goes, the information on what planet they are on, what resources they provide, etc., is still very valid. Perhaps it would be possible to scrape that database for the information. You can do custom queries, so I'd think it would be fairly easy to do. Levels are pretty much CU levels although there were some that had not been updated after the second CU level adjustment. Some are still valid and others have changed.

I expect to see that site updated tremendously once chapter 6 hits live. Updated information on levels, special attacks, DNA, mutations and enzyme sampling should be updated pretty quickly.

Certainly the DNA, enzyme and mutation information will be needed if we are to cater towards pet crafters as well as other crafters. The information on attacks, XP, what is mountable, mutations, etc., could be left to SWGCreatures.

Oops, and just noticed the test screen you've done doesn't have a box for milk type--REALLY important to chefs lol :)
Last edited by Onyx on Thu May 17, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Thu May 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Savacc wrote:Trouble with listing a quantity (QTY) is that there is a random factor thrown in for creature harvesting. All creatures are given a Fat, Normal or Skinny rating. Occording to Lunariel, in his guide to resource shifts, it works very much like resource concentrations when you survey them. That is certain areas will have a high concentration of say Bone, and give more creatures that are "fat".

Ya know, it just occures to me, I have done no resource farming since the NGE. It is possible this feature could have been removed from the game and I never knew it.
That does still exist although the harvesting system message no longer tells you that the creature was fat/skinny. The only way to tell is by harvesting in different areas and comparing the amounts.

The other issue with quantity is that it varies according to the level of the creature. A fambaa is naturally level 22 but I can take missions from a mission terminal and get level 92 fambaa missions. That was one issue SWGCreatures had with the CU--people not understanding the differentiation between a creatures natural level and the mission spawns so you see a few rogue comments on levels.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri May 18, 2007 1:44 pm

Onyx wrote:
Savacc wrote:Trouble with listing a quantity (QTY) is that there is a random factor thrown in for creature harvesting. All creatures are given a Fat, Normal or Skinny rating. Occording to Lunariel, in his guide to resource shifts, it works very much like resource concentrations when you survey them. That is certain areas will have a high concentration of say Bone, and give more creatures that are "fat".

That does still exist although the harvesting system message no longer tells you that the creature was fat/skinny. The only way to tell is by harvesting in different areas and comparing the amounts.

The other issue with quantity is that it varies according to the level of the creature. A fambaa is naturally level 22 but I can take missions from a mission terminal and get level 92 fambaa missions. That was one issue SWGCreatures had with the CU--people not understanding the differentiation between a creatures natural level and the mission spawns so you see a few rogue comments on levels.
The way I was thinking of making the system was so the displayed number was based on an average of all of that creature of that level.

So layout of page would be something like:

Name: Elder Cow
Subclass of: Cow
Hide, bone etc. type: whatever, whatever whatever

and then a table in the bottom:

Level Amount
1 Some amount
etc.

But does milk, hide, meat and bone give the same quantity?

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Rackle » Fri May 18, 2007 2:03 pm

My "studies" have shown that bone, meat and hide are consistant within a +/- 3 range. Milk is not. From a similiar group of animals milk can be as low as 140 and as high as 230 (general example).

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:53 pm

Sobuno wrote:I could begin on something like this when and if I get the time to do it (Have to finish some other parts of the site first, namely schematics and resource contributors).... It'll only be the basic framework though, you guys have to input the data :D
Sobuno wrote:You can now add creatures to the "creature tree" by going to this link: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/addcreature.php (You need to be logged in)

Remember to check the "Selectable" field if it is a real creature or else you won't be able to input QTY data later on for that creature

Please only add real creatures (and categories/types)

You can see the "creature tree" here: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/creature_tree.php
*BUMP*

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:15 am

Rather than working with average level, could we work with level range? For example Fambaas range from 22 - 25 naturally, and the resource ranges from (low) to (high) ammount. that way we could have a rough guess. I understand the mission terminals will skew numbers, but perhaps that is something that could be kept on the back side of things, only updated by limited people.