Full Resource Tree

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

User avatar
Slyvampy
Lead Developer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Full Resource Tree

Post by Slyvampy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:56 pm

Please post ideas, comments or suggestions on the FULL resource tree.

This includes how you would like to see the full resources layed out, navigation through them and filters etc.
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Nonei
Novice Crafter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:01 am

Post by Nonei » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:20 pm

I would like to see a similar page to the "resource to schematic" resource usage page, especially if it had a profession specific filter.

As for resource tree filters, I believe it has been mentioned that you plan on implementing a profession specific filter there also, which would be wonderful.

It would be nice to include resource caps somehow... either on the resource tree or perhaps if someone searches for a particular resource in current resources, it could show what % of the cap it is for that resource.

Nonei
Wanderhome

Aewea
Bria

Xandara
Novice Crafter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:40 am
Location: Eclipse / Slovakia, Europe

Post by Xandara » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:21 am

The system used at the moment suits me well. Tree view with expand/colapse buttons would be nice, but it is not something I cannot live without.
The old SWGCraft site has one nice feature, that resources with hight stats (900+) are marked with one or more '*'. I would like to see this feature improved so that it takes the resource caps into account. E.g. Iron with CD 499 will get * for conductivity (at least I suppose that cap is 500). If possible, color highlighting of particular 'stellar' stat instead of stars would be better. Another nice-to-have is the option to set the 'stellar' range on-line in %. E.g. I put there 4% and I get highlighted stats, which are the best I can have with resource expertise bonus.
SWG (Eclipse): Xandara Norrag

User avatar
Slyvampy
Lead Developer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Post by Slyvampy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:24 pm

Xandara wrote:The system used at the moment suits me well. Tree view with expand/colapse buttons would be nice, but it is not something I cannot live without.
The old SWGCraft site has one nice feature, that resources with hight stats (900+) are marked with one or more '*'. I would like to see this feature improved so that it takes the resource caps into account. E.g. Iron with CD 499 will get * for conductivity (at least I suppose that cap is 500). If possible, color highlighting of particular 'stellar' stat instead of stars would be better. Another nice-to-have is the option to set the 'stellar' range on-line in %. E.g. I put there 4% and I get highlighted stats, which are the best I can have with resource expertise bonus.
Funny you should mention this, as this is what im working on personally atm. The current resources section. I do feel that the layout of this needs a vast improvement, as at times its not easy to see the best resources. We are marking them with a *, and will take on board the caps for each type. Bear with me on the latter, i just want to get what we have ported from swgcraft.com first. But i will improve with the Resoruce Caps. Then moving on to replacing the * (as with the layout) to be easier to read and faster for people to work out what are good resources.
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

User avatar
Ivoro
Novice Crafter
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 am

Post by Ivoro » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 pm

I think the idea of different colours for quality is great. I use that myself for my personal stock in excel. You could mark stats green that are in a 5% limit below cap and use yellow or so for limit of 10%. This way very good resources can be identified easily.

Yozorama
Novice Crafter
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Yozorama » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Ivoro wrote:I think the idea of different colours for quality is great. I use that myself for my personal stock in excel. You could mark stats green that are in a 5% limit below cap and use yellow or so for limit of 10%. This way very good resources can be identified easily.
Apart from for those of us who happen to be color-blind that is. :wink:

Other then that, it sounds like a good idea to me though. :)
Yoz Oreeme | Master Architect @ Starsider

User avatar
Ivoro
Novice Crafter
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 am

Post by Ivoro » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:22 am

Yozorama wrote:
Ivoro wrote:I think the idea of different colours for quality is great. I use that myself for my personal stock in excel. You could mark stats green that are in a 5% limit below cap and use yellow or so for limit of 10%. This way very good resources can be identified easily.
Apart from for those of us who happen to be color-blind that is. :wink:

Other then that, it sounds like a good idea to me though. :)
Yeah, well, you would still see it's another colour than black, wouldn't you? Else go with the stars 8)

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Post by Sobuno » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 am

Or you could do both..... Can colorblind people not still see the correct numbers even though they can't see the correct color? If yes, do both colors and stars :D

AhnNu
Novice Crafter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:40 am
Location: Bria, Seattle/Tacoma, WA, USA

Post by AhnNu » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:18 am

My only reservation about colors is something overly bright, both in the proposed color difference for resource quality and page background. This would also fall into the contrast between the background, text and images, and from what I see so far, the contrast is great, and easily readable.

For the readable argument, I get annoyed by those on the SOE forums who use dark colors in their signature or text with a black background, gives me a headache trying to read it.

One of the things I really did like about the colors of swgcraft was that the base colors were not too bright and allowed you to have pages up for a long period of time without worrying about burn in on a monitor (I am sure there are a lot of people who had that on screen long enough for that to be a concern).

I do like the site thus far and think you all are doing a great job. I'll see about trying to input some resources from bria, if they haven't been already. Thanks for doing this and taking the time to do it right.
"Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is"
"Listen, Did you smell something?"
"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

User avatar
Slyvampy
Lead Developer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Post by Slyvampy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:48 pm

AhnNu wrote:My only reservation about colors is something overly bright, both in the proposed color difference for resource quality and page background. This would also fall into the contrast between the background, text and images, and from what I see so far, the contrast is great, and easily readable.

For the readable argument, I get annoyed by those on the SOE forums who use dark colors in their signature or text with a black background, gives me a headache trying to read it.

One of the things I really did like about the colors of swgcraft was that the base colors were not too bright and allowed you to have pages up for a long period of time without worrying about burn in on a monitor (I am sure there are a lot of people who had that on screen long enough for that to be a concern).

I do like the site thus far and think you all are doing a great job. I'll see about trying to input some resources from bria, if they haven't been already. Thanks for doing this and taking the time to do it right.
Thank you for your input.

At present we have some ideas of how the final page should look like. (these are ideas and will be put to the active community).

As for now, the page will look (hopefully) the same as swgcraft.com.
We hope to make styles for the site in the future, simular to swgcraft.com with the white/blue and yellow/mustard colours, and increase the selection to include accessability (for those who are colour blind etc.) with options for font size increases etc. along with browser enchancements etc.

I know that we are not as fast at porting the site as some might of hoped, however we are taking the time to do it right, and hopefully with the communities help we can get it right :)
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Yozorama
Novice Crafter
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Yozorama » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Sobuno wrote:Or you could do both..... Can colorblind people not still see the correct numbers even though they can't see the correct color? If yes, do both colors and stars :D
Well, I'm only partially (or whatever the medical term might be) color-blind. That is, I can have a very hard time seperating for example yellow from light green, but I have no trouble whatsoever when it comes to seperating green from red. So, I can't speak for all color-blind people, but as far as I've understood it, both red and green turns brown for people with a more severe version of it. So yes, color-blind people should still be able to see the numbers, and it will be a different color then black. Stars would help a lot as well. :)
Yoz Oreeme | Master Architect @ Starsider

User avatar
Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:33 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Onyx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:43 pm

I'd definately like to see the ability to close/expand the full tree.

When the full tree is open, it is difficult to see the upper-level classes--especially for the organics. Since every organic has a version on every planet, it makes that section quite large and somewhat un-readable with it completely expanded (like it is now). Those of us who know the tree won't have much issue, but for someone who is newer to chef might have trouble determining what cereal is since you can't get that entire section viewable on one screen.

There are a few adjustments/additions needed to the organic portion of the tree:

The "egg" section belongs under the meat class.

The "fish" section belongs under the "seafood" class.

Technically, the "seafood" section was not under meat but at the same level as meat--however it seems they have moved it. I can use mollusk in the meat slot now so I guess leave it under meat.

All organics have a Kashyyykian variant (there are 12 spawns of each type in the fixed pool).

Horn has a named spawn on every planet.

Crustacean and Mollusk have named spawns on every planet.

Fish has a named spawn on every planet.

Gurk King hide is not a resource--merely a static loot object.

Also, the recycled variants for organics are missing:
Processed Cereal
Mixed Vegetables
Mixed Fruits
Blended Wood
Homogenized Milk
Processed Meat
Processed Seafood
Ground Bones
Ground Horn
Synthesized Hide

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Post by Sobuno » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:49 am

Onyx wrote: When the full tree is open, it is difficult to see the upper-level classes--especially for the organics. Since every organic has a version on every planet, it makes that section quite large and somewhat un-readable with it completely expanded (like it is now).
I am working on making a compact mode (Like the one at SWGCraft.com) atm, that filters out most of the lowest-level resources... It should definetly make the resource tree more compact :P

I'll get around to adding some of the things you mentioned later

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Post by Sobuno » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 pm


User avatar
Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:33 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Onyx » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Nice and much easier to read.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests