GUI Bug?

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

GUI Bug?

Post by Ruh » Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 am

After leaving SWGAide running for awhile the GUI goes bonkers on me and it ends up looking like this. The distortion isn't limited to inventory or resource listings. Pretty much everything gets screwy. Everything is fine if I close out the program and reopen it...at least until it has been opened for "too long". I am not sure how long is too long tho and such...

Anyone else having a similar problem and is there a user fix for this? lol

(I took out my sensative info that I saw...but if you see something else please let me know :D.)
Attachments
swgaide_bugged.JPG
swgaide_bugged.JPG (251.87 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: GUI Bug?

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 17, 2010 7:18 am

Ahum,

I have not seen SWGAide going down this path, never ever. What can happen if you load your computer badly, memory-wise, is that SWGAide can take a few to get in order again --- the beauty needs some time for after-nap-makeup. Possibly this is a repaint thing once all pieces are in place again.

What if you just wait a few, minimize and then open it again (unminimize)? That should at least force a repaint.
Another way to force a repaint is to resize the window a little, or maximize and back, or the other way around.

I can assure you that data is not corrupt, if it was it would be so even after an exit/restart. This is a GUI thing, still bad of course. And I hesitate to force repaints every now and then "just in case".

BTW, another fellow, a guildie I believe, reported that SWGAide after running in background for a while had black holes at the GUI. In Windows Vista I believe. It could be that Win-Vista is not nice to Java. I now have two machines for testing, XP and W7, and I have not yet seen any GUI issues. Definitely not in XP and a black hole for a tenth of a second in W7 after having run two SWG instances and SWG in the background.

Looking forward to hear more about this, and if yo or anybody else have a cure or workaround.

/Zimoon

Attoy
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Attoy » Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 pm

I had a same problem about a month ago due to a faulty java installation. Cleaned up and reinstalled Java fixed the issue on my computer. I'm on Win 7 x64.

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Mon May 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Zimoon wrote:Ahum,

I have not seen SWGAide going down this path, never ever. What can happen if you load your computer badly, memory-wise, is that SWGAide can take a few to get in order again --- the beauty needs some time for after-nap-makeup. Possibly this is a repaint thing once all pieces are in place again.

What if you just wait a few, minimize and then open it again (unminimize)? That should at least force a repaint.
Another way to force a repaint is to resize the window a little, or maximize and back, or the other way around.

I can assure you that data is not corrupt, if it was it would be so even after an exit/restart. This is a GUI thing, still bad of course. And I hesitate to force repaints every now and then "just in case".

BTW, another fellow, a guildie I believe, reported that SWGAide after running in background for a while had black holes at the GUI. In Windows Vista I believe. It could be that Win-Vista is not nice to Java. I now have two machines for testing, XP and W7, and I have not yet seen any GUI issues. Definitely not in XP and a black hole for a tenth of a second in W7 after having run two SWG instances and SWG in the background.

Looking forward to hear more about this, and if yo or anybody else have a cure or workaround.

/Zimoon
I have WinXP Pro SP3 with Java v6 update 20 (according to the java website). Minimizing and Restoring the application does cause a "repaint" and everthing looks normal again...however if I go to scroll up/down everything goes crazy again like above, so I think forcing the program to repaint will not fix the root of the issue...whatever that might be. I have not experienced this "black hole" issue =/. I have not had any other issues with Java and the program runs flawlessly (or at least seemingly so) until it is left running for extended periods. My one thought is that this is somehow caused by my computer going into sleep mode or the screen saver being part of the issue.

Again...the issue only presents itself if I leave the program up for awhile, so I am not certain if there is something else competing with Java to cause the issue. This is also not the only version of SWGAide that I have seen this issue...it is just the first time that my brain clicked in that I should SS the problem and post it when it happens. Normally, I just close and reopen the program to fix the issue.
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks Ruh,

I can say one thing for sure, this is not a SWGAide-issue as such.

Then I turn uncertain: I do not know whether this is in Java, in Windows, or even in the graphics driver/card. I would guess in Java and/or the thin glue between Java and Windows. Looking at the screen shot it looks that some stuff of the table is cached, and that is not in SWGAide because it does not cache GUI stuff but requests new data always*. There are clear "boxes" which points towards some graphic routine, but that could be either in Windows or Java, even in the graphics driver/card.

Does the very same thing happen if you filter the inventory on .. say Copper .. and then clear the filters? That would empty the data structure that is used to "paint" the table. However, it also seems that something "thinks" that the table columns are way wider than they really are, and that is not fixed by filtering.

I understand this is frustrating but right now I am out of ideas on easy workarounds and I cannot really imagine a bug in SWGAide that causes this. In Java, in Windows, or in the graphics driver/card, yes, but not in SWGAide, not this time. However, I will see if I find something on this topic googling around.

/Zimoon

* Earlier I was a bit worried that SWGAide would be sluggish from not caching large tables and so forth, but some tests show that it is not, rather the opposite. So now I stay away from error prone caching.

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

I am going to filter out copper and leave the program up while I am at work and see if the problem is there when I come back. I am not sure though since I do not own enough different types of copper to be able to scrol when the program is maximized. I'll also try a couple of other things as I can.

Don't get me wrong, it's not really frustrating at all. When the problem occurs I just close out the program and reopen it. I lose maybe 5-10 seconds, but I am right back to where I need to be. I encounter this problem probably once every several days or weeks, and usually only after I have left SWGAide up for an extended period of time while doing a ton of other things on my computer. I could very well see this being an issue with memory usage on my computer, especially since it has been awhile since I have done a good scrubbing of my computer (maybe this issue will be the stray that breaks the camels back forcing me to backup all my stuff and reformatting - something I used to do every 6 months or so lol).
Starsider

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 pm

well left it open filtered until about 30 mins ago and the bug has not presented it self. so ill try to see what the deal is and report back later. i was mostly curious if anyone else had ever come across it.
Starsider