SPLIT, was: Site idea: general categories ...

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Is "Mark Completed" a useful option?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am

Yes
67%
No
22%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 9

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

SPLIT, was: Site idea: general categories ...

Post by Sky- Industries » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Thank you for correcting the typo (ago ago -> ago) and for allowing the completed info to be updated after the initial update.

Now if only the forum admin/devs would add an option to correct the completed info when "accidentally" clicked would be great!

(i.e. select none for page sorting and then select chilastra and all planets - you will see that I "accidentally" clicked mark as completed for the chemical category)

P.S. Zimoon, you also admitted not using the "plyr marked general resource category completed x days ago" info.

User vote: If you find "plyr marked general resource category completed x days ago" info useful then reply to this message with a yes or no.

Best Regards,

Split from http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1324
Last edited by Zimoon on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Split due to necroing (Dec 2008) + added voting

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Re: Site idea: general categories (i.e. chemical, mineral etc)

Post by Sky- Industries » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Sky- Industries wrote: If you find "plyr marked general resource category completed x days ago" info useful then reply to this message with a yes or no.
NO!

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Sky- Industries wrote:User vote: If you find "plyr marked general resource category completed x days ago" info useful then reply to this message with a yes or no.
Number of registered users: 5177
Number of users with at least 1 post: 694
Percent of total users: 13%

My point: Making a user vote means nothing. Besides, the person who has used the Mark as complete feature the second-most (A whooping 13248 times) does not even have a single post on the forum, thus one of its strongest supporters isn't here to defend it.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 am

Ski-Industries do you, by chance, post as Calahn on the SOE forums?

My answer to your survey would be

YES

Any information about resource spawns is useful to me. Knowing that x number of hours, or days, ago someone marked a category as "Completed" is useful. I can understand your concern about the "confidence" of any "Completed" category. Yes in the time it takes to gather the info and post it, something could have changed and the "Completed" info my no longer be accurate. Someone new to the game might be mislead by the "Marked as Completed" stamp. But many things about the game are misleading and confusing until you learn more about them.

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 am

Savacc wrote:Sky- do you, by chance, post as Calahn on the SOE forums?
No, I do not post as Calahn on the SOE forums.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Site idea: general categories (i.e. chemical, mineral etc)

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:36 am

Well I like it as it tells me the last time the section was checked (not necessarily updated) and it prevents me from wasting time and droids running another survey a few hours after the last survey (Sunrunner is not a heavily updated server so knowing this information is useful to me).

So I will vote YES.

Belisama
Intermediate Crafter

Re: SPLIT, was: Site idea: general categories ...

Post by Belisama » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 am

Sky- Industries wrote:User vote: If you find "plyr marked general resource category completed x days ago" info useful then reply to this message with a yes or no.
Yes - but only if SWGAide features that also *g*
That means: If i update the resources SWGAide should update that note also. And if anybody updated it via the survey droids mails of course as well.

If i do a survey droid based update its not that bad (just that i wasted a few droids), but if i update creature resources it will help :)

(Problem is: I never update seafood. is there a way to mark that seperatly? I guess at other servers nearly nobody update seafood as well? *g*)

Best
Bel
Your domestic trader at Starsider TOG Mall: Tat WP -5101 -3308
You have resource for sale ? Check the TOG Holonet Channel for my offer
In Memoriam for all BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 am

I played around with your post Sky, and added a real vote. You could have done it yourself had you started a new thread rather than necroed an old one 8)

I stick with my previous response:
  • it is a good feature
  • if people don't trust the info, they don't have to
  • the risk that a new resource spawns or despawns during the short window is acceptable
However, I agree with your constructive suggestion to add a feature to regret and redo. Sobuno, is that possible? Giving that particular user 5 minutes to click a Redo link?

/Zimoon

PS: However, if it is too much work I do not believe it is worth the "price".

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Zimoon wrote:...added a real vote. You could have done it yourself had you started a new thread rather than necroed ...
My apologies. I didn't know about the real vote thing or what necroing means. I take it that necroing is the act of updating a post that has not been updated in x amount of time?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:50 am

No worries, the good thing with starting a new thread is that you can add voting :D

Forum Rules.
Please do not resurrect posts that have been dead for a long time. More often than not the questions or information contained within the posts will be outdated and no longer relevant. If you want to talk about the topic of an old post then please create a new thread and link back to it if necessary. As a guideline, any thread that has not been posted in for over four weeks should be considered dead. May they rest in peace.
Lengthier discussion: Question on necroing.

However, we are kind and nice at this site and so far the whip is still sleeping in its locker :lol:

/Zimoon

Sky- Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Sky- Industries » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Cheers :)

Eleazaros
Novice Crafter

Post by Eleazaros » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm

I marked it as undecided because I really have no clue as to what it is used for.

How long resources last is variable so you either check daily or you may miss a change.
I've posted resources that weren't showing up within 2 hours of someone else posting -- one of those "posts the entire galaxy" type people.
I've posted a resource I "found" and within 2 days that "new" resource was gone.

So, in all honesty, I have no idea what the flag is for nor do I pay any attention to if it's set or not when I go checking resources.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 am

Eleazaros wrote:I marked it as undecided because I really have no clue as to what it is used for.

How long resources last is variable so you either check daily or you may miss a change.
I've posted resources that weren't showing up within 2 hours of someone else posting -- one of those "posts the entire galaxy" type people.
I've posted a resource I "found" and within 2 days that "new" resource was gone.

So, in all honesty, I have no idea what the flag is for nor do I pay any attention to if it's set or not when I go checking resources.
That option should only be used if you did the entire galaxy for that resource class. All Minerals for example. It means that the galaxy is "complete" for that resource class, which it cannot be after just one or two resources. Undecided sounds OK in your case 8)
/Zimoon