Resources that do not "spawn" but viewable from 30k deeds

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Resources that do not "spawn" but viewable from 30k deeds

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Bala wrote:
Sobuno wrote:I've fixed one bug regarding it now, but your bug looks a bit different... Still happening now?
Still the error, but now it is proceeded by a load of code.
My bad, wanted to output a bit of code on your screen, but I see that it was a bit too much.

I am completely unable to reproduce it here :/ I've added some more code output when you view the page again, I'd like to know what it says

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Sobuno wrote:My bad, wanted to output a bit of code on your screen, but I see that it was a bit too much.

I am completely unable to reproduce it here :/ I've added some more code output when you view the page again, I'd like to know what it says
Sure thing. New error file attached.
Attachments
error2.txt
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Okay, see if it works now

This is really weird, as there's nothing user-specific other than the show/do not show non-harvestable resources at that point in time :S

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Sobuno wrote:Okay, see if it works now

This is really weird, as there's nothing user-specific other than the show/do not show non-harvestable resources at that point in time :S
That seems to have gotten it. The page displays alright, aside from the string of code at the top which is throwing off the formatting a bit (larger fonts).

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Bala wrote:
Sobuno wrote:Okay, see if it works now

That seems to have gotten it. The page displays alright, aside from the string of code at the top which is throwing off the formatting a bit (larger fonts).
Removing it from your user now :)

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Perfect.

Nice job. :)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Bala wrote:Perfect.

Nice job. :)

Off to find out how the bug actually happened now though, I think I have a clue...

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:55 pm

Okay, found the bug.

When I previously said that no user-specific things took place before that point in the script, I had apparently overlooked the custom sorting part (The part that allows each user to have the current resources page sorted his/her way). The custom sorting part just pulls the user's sorting info from the database and overwrites the original sorting info. However, the custom thingy did not check whether the category actually existed, it just inserted the information on a row-by-row basis. Thus, it also inserted a new sorting position for the resource category with the ID 90, which has at some point been deleted from the database. Due to me taking advantage of the fact that PHP is a loosely typed language (FALSE == 0, false, NULL etc.), this non-existant category slipped through the filters and made it into the pool of non-harvestable categories. And due to it not being assigned an ID the correct way, it made the page break for the 80 or so users who had it in their custom sorting.

Sarafina
Novice Crafter

Post by Sarafina » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 pm

A few weeks ago, there was a really nice domesticated milk on Eclipse (I forget which planet) on a planet that is not naturally harvestable. Because it had great stats (over 900s in PE and OQ), I tried adding it to the database. However, when I tried to add it, it gave me an error saying "this resource is not naturally occurring and has not been added to the database".

This seems to conflict with what I've read in this thread about you being ok with people adding resource-kit-only resources that people might want to burn a CFR on. Domesticated Milk is a key ingredient for Chefs, and unfortunately spawns on very few planets naturally. As such, good milk for Fizz is almost always dependent on burning a CFR on milk from a planet that doesn't naturally get domesticated milk.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:14 pm

There are no mentions of the harvestable flag on any page that adds resources.

Are you sure you didn't hit the "Cannot spawn on selected planet" message?

Sarafina
Novice Crafter

Post by Sarafina » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Sobuno wrote:There are no mentions of the harvestable flag on any page that adds resources.

Isn't that essentially the same thing as unharvestable? Either way, domesticated milk is only harvestable on a couple of planets. But the resource system generates it on ALL planets, where it is obtainable via CFR. I tried to add a recent high-quality domesticated milk for a planet that you can't actually harvest it from, and it told me I couldn't and rejected it. Even though it is selectable in a CFR. The best milks on Eclipse for Fizz have all been from planets that are CFR-only.

Even though you can't go milk creatures for the stuff, I'd still rather the milks be in the database so people can find them in a search when trying to decide what to spend their CFR on if they want to make Fizz.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Sarafina wrote:
Sobuno wrote:There are no mentions of the harvestable flag on any page that adds resources.

Isn't that essentially the same thing as unharvestable?
Not at all, the harvestable flag does not block anything, it just gives people a reminder that the resource can only be obtained through a 30k deed, whereas the spawn limitations blocks you from being able to add resources to wrong planets (Such as something Nabooian to Tatooine).

I just checked all the Domesticated Milk, they're all fine (You can check them here: http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/resource_info.php?res=182, click on each individual resource, see that it lists its own planet). Are you sure you didn't attempt to add the resource to another planet than the one selected?

If you can reproduce it, please list the steps to do so. You may test all you want on the SWGCraft.co.uk galaxy http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/current_res ... 0&filter=0

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am

At this one people could argue that the site should sort it out and add let's say Tat Dom Milk to Tatooine rather than wherever you are. Yeah, there is a point in that. And there is points against.

I have been around long enough to moderate the old site's database too and geeh what many mistakes there where with planets.

Let's say again, you are standing at Talus and want to add that new milk and type it Tat Dom Milk by mistake. Mistake? I cannot see it? No it is hard but I wrote Tat Dom Milk and not Tal Dom Milk 8)

That example alone says enough against too much automated correction algorithms in computers. Even if it could be done it is often risky. A computer is nothing else than a very, very fast counting machine, completely lacking any intelligence.

Regarding non-harvestable, In SWGAide there are options to override the block for these resource classes, so it should be no hinder.

/Zimoon