What is the cap??

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

scepe
Novice Crafter

What is the cap??

Post by scepe » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:08 pm

hi please can someone tell me what the cap is for
assembly and
experimentation and
what is a good value to aim for on luck/ cap
and someone posted in one of the messages that they have +49 luck on a chest plate and weapon as well as assembly and experimentation is this correct/possible
Any shipwright information greatly appreciated as its a big galaxy out there
Also looking for droid engineer, other shipwrights and any other uk players on the bria server

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: What is the cap??

Post by Zimoon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi scepe,

I want to ask why you are asking? And exactly what do you mean by "cap"?

I ask since real cap is one thing and useful values is another thing and the two must seldom meet :)

Assembly, ground RE Traders must achieve 160+ to "warrant" a socket on their goods. Perhaps it is possible to get it higher but why?

Experimentation, now it gets trickier. There are at least two kinds of Experimentation:
  1. The kind that comes inherent with the profession plus SEAs, monkeys, and the Diner. This kind gives you the experimentation boxes you use up while crafting at the experimentation window. It is debated whether this kind is also the basis onto which the second kind is added.
  2. The kind that comes from enhancements such as Research Center, Bespin Port, and whatever. This kind increases the probability for the better successes.
Luck is another animal. It is debated whether it affects the probability for better successes while experimenting. Some players, whereof some are held in very high esteem, swear that it does. Others swear on the opposite. In any case Luck increases the probability for a rare Critical Success which is 8.4 vs. 8.05 from an Amazing.

So again, what is it you aim at? :mrgreen:

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:10 am

You have asked this question in the Shipwright forum. Are you putting togather a "Crafting Suit" for Shipwright, or are you in the wrong forum?

Is this what you are asking about? Taken from this thread
Thx but i have already a full suit with 49 luck and +8 experimentation and +11 assembly on all chestplate and weapon and 35 luck on all other pieces
Yes a suit with those stats is possible. Munitions Traders can make breastplates and weapons with crafted in stats. Im not a Munitions Trader, and have never done this, or had one made for myself, but my understanding is that they take a PuP and permanently attach it to the breastplate or weapon during the crafting process. I dont know if +12 is the max a "crafted bonus stat" can be, but apparently that is what the bonus is in this case.
So this person has a breastplate and weapon, both with crafted +12 to Luck, then SEAs with +8 Experimentation, +11 Assembly and +35 Luck. They state they have +35 Luck on the other "non exotic" pieces of clothing. What is not stated, but we have to assume, is they have a shirt with +8 Experimentation, +11 Assembly and +35 Luck. Tailors can not make shirts with "crafted stats", or at least not yet.

Edit- I tried looking for a post on "crafted stats" but didnt find one on these forums. I did find an old post of mine where I talk about crafted stats being only +4. Maybe a real Munitions Trader can clear up my confussion. :shock: :roll:

scepe
Novice Crafter

Post by scepe » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:58 pm

i am a shipwright and are wanting a crafting suit and want to know what the server/max(caps) are for-
1) experimation for each piece of clothing/armour /Total a character can have as i heard it was 160
2) assembly for each piece of clothing/armour /Total a character can have as i heard it was 120
3) luck (what to aim for(min) and max (after which any more luck is just a waste)
Any shipwright information greatly appreciated as its a big galaxy out there
Also looking for droid engineer, other shipwrights and any other uk players on the bria server

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Both of you can have a glance at Reverse Engineering 101, find the section "As of Game Update 5" 8)
scepe wrote:i am a shipwright and are wanting a crafting suit and want to know what the server/max(caps) are for-
1) experimation for each piece of clothing/armour /Total a character can have as i heard it was 160
2) assembly for each piece of clothing/armour /Total a character can have as i heard it was 120
3) luck (what to aim for(min) and max (after which any more luck is just a waste)
Scepe, you are mixing up the values for Assembly and Experimentation, neither do you indicate if you read my post above, or did you chose to ignore it? :lol:

Savacc is the expert on caps for Experimentation so I leave room for him, but I believe the useful limit is 140 even if you can get it higher if you have old SEAs from pre-NGE.

Assembly, yes 160 and a bit higher, useful if you are a ground-RE-trader but I doubt anybody not doing ground-RE and in contact with his constitution want to increase Assembly much over the inherent value from the profession. Read the Beginners Guide for Traders and watch out for snippets on Assembly.

Luck, again ground-RE-traders want to boost it and usually have it way over 1000, see the RE guide linked to above. For a Trader such as you and me, if you can afford the luxury, go for it. Otherwise, just use whatever you feel comfortable with and relax.

I get the feeling you want a top-notch suit but have not read up on arguments to justify that. In some circumstances it is OK to strive for that, but, in crafting it is not the suit that is most important but the resources and the brain behind the buttons. My advice is to relax and have fun and to constantly watch out for great resources. See my signature for a decent tool to help you with that 8)

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 am

Zimoon wrote:Both of you can have a glance at Reverse Engineering 101, find the section "As of Game Update 5" 8)
OK so 40% of 35 is 14
35+14 = 49 so that checks out
why I came up with 12 Im not sure right now. :shock:
scepe wrote:i am a shipwright and are wanting a crafting suit and want to know what the server/max(caps) are for-
Let me just say a couple things about Shipwright Suits, then Ill answer your questions.
All other professions have one skill they need to put on their suits, Shipwrights have seven. For instance, Chefs have only "Food" Experimentation and Assembly Skill, Archtects have only "Structure" Experimentation and Assembly Skill, but Shipwrights have these seven: Chassis (including Armor), Boosters, Advanced Componants (Capacitors and Droid Interfaces) Power Systems, Engines, Shields, Weapons. If you want to cover all Shipwright Skills, your suit(s) have to have all seven of these on them. Some Shipwrights have seven different suits, I have three, because I only put Experimentation Skill and skip Assembly Skill.
In another thread I made this statement concerning Shipwright suits, "Experimentation Skill is essential, Luck is useful and Assembly is worthless." Z said it earlier, people put Assembly Skill on their suits to "guarentee" a socket, because sockets are attached to an item in the Assembly phase. However, Shipwrights do not make anything with sockets. The 100 points of Assembly Skill you get at cl 90 is all you need to get optimal Assembly results. So I do not put Assembly Skill on my suits.
Just one more note on Shipwright suits. Almost every crafting skill in the game gives you 100 points of Experimentation and Assembly at Cl 90, Three of the Shipwright Skills give you 150 instead (Boosters, Engines and Weapons). So when I talk about the caps for these skills next, I will be talking about them off of a base of 100. These three skills will actually be 50 points higher then all the others.

As Z said, you seem to have switched the values for Experimentation and Assembly, it is possible to get Assembly much higher then Experimentation, even then, 120 for Exp and 160 for Assembly are low.

I can tell you what the caps for Experimentation and Assembly on a suit made today will be. However, pre NGE crafting suits were assembled differently. Pieces from pre NGE suits and todays suits can be combined to far exceed what can be made today. Fortunatly though, with todays suits you can reach the crucial thresholds that matter in Experimentation and Assembly and any further skill from pre NGE sources gives you either "diminishing returns" or even "no benifit" (we old timers debate this, Im in the "no benifit" camp)

For Experimentation, todays suits cap at +24, +8 on shirt, breastplate and weapon. For the purposes of determining Experimentation Points (the number of "boxes" you spend in the Experimentation Phase) there has always been a cap of +25. So no matter how many additional skill you get from pre NGE SEAs, +2 is all you get in Experimentation Points (you get one Experimentation Point for every ten points of Experimentation Skill)

So with 100 base skill, 10 points from Expertise and 24 from the suit, you can have 134 (you could also get 2 more with the Helper Monkey) for 13 Experimentation Points (remember the three skills that give you 50 more skill and 5 more points)

For Assembly, todays suits cap at 41, +11 on shirt, breastplate and weapon, then you could have +4 crafted in to the breast plate and weapon. Remember Z saying 160 Assembly is enough to "guarentee" a socket (even though Shipwrights dont make sockets), well add in an Entertainer Buff of +10 and you are at 161. You would never do this as a Shipwright though, because that is seven different Entertainer buffs.

For Luck, a suit would cap at 448, +35 on 2 boots, pants, belt, breastplate, shirt, 2 bracers, 2 gloves, helmot and bandoleer, then +14 crafted in to the breastplate and weapon. You could not have both Luck and Assembly "crafted" on a breastplate and weapon, only one or the other. There are tons of other sources for Luck and scores over 1000 are possible.

Luck has a demonstratable affect on the RE process (not the Shipwright RE, but the one the other professions do). Other then that, I am convinced, Luck only gives a crafter "Lucky Breaks" while crafting. These are kind of rare. I probably see around 2-3 of them in a 2 hour crafting session. If I had no Luck items, I might see only one. If I had a ton of Luck I might average 4 or so. For someone trying to make +35 powerbits you have to have 600+ Luck. For the rest of us, its not as important.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:15 am

Wait, a bit, now I am confused. I need to check out the % since I recall there was some fuzz with that for some stuff, what that for WS. I will get back to that and possibly edit the guide. But now I am investigating if SOE has changed the caps for some resource classes 8)

/Zimoon