Acquisition of Milk

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Chef Expertise.

Moderators: Onyx, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

seung-mina
Novice Crafter

Re: Acquisition of Milk

Post by seung-mina » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:35 pm

My error :oops: i was in the wrong line in my list, they gave dom meat, not milk...i need really a better colour system in it...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:10 pm

seung-mina wrote:My error :oops: i was in the wrong line in my list, they gave dom meat, not milk...i need really a better colour system in it...
And I will revert my edits and statements.

Sorry folks, false hurrays :(

/Zimoon

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Aucob wrote:Have you guys been able to get missions for animals that have domestic milk? I'm level 90, I find it difficult to find those types of missions. I'll try again tonight since there's a really nice spawn of Nabooian Domesticated Milk on Starsider now.
Since the Nabooian Domesticated Milk issue has been addressed already, I thought I'd try to answer the question for the other domesticated mobs, in general. Aside from Naboo, the answer is yes. It can be tricky, though. For example, in my experiences on Tatooine, the only missions that spawn the dwarf banthas (the only ones that drop domesticated milk) are bull bantha lair missions, and even then, not every bull bantha lair mission has them. I basically take one, ride out to it, and only keep it if it has a dwarf bantha up on the initial spawn - even better if it has two (if it doesn't have one at the beginning, it never will.*) With the kahmurras on Talus, I didn't write it down for some reason, but I seem to recall that the ones that spawn docile versions are the missions that aren't called "mutated". Endor and Dantooine are significantly easier.

*Caveat being, as I posted earlier, if you still have the mission after a server soft or hard reset, sometimes the initial spawn will shift - for the better or for the worse.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Tharek Tolemac
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tharek Tolemac » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm

I'd like to add something to this:

Actually, I think milking is some work, but it isnt really hard to do if you know 2 things about milking:
  1. The process itself

The milking process isnt random. It is based on 7 second circles. So, you can start milking and start counting, follow a moving creature and if you are next to it after 6 seconds, just stop and wait for the "continue milking"... the point is, the check is about YOU moving, not the creature. So, if you know the beast is moving, you can go ahead a bit and let it pass you right when the 7 seconds are over... you will continue milking that even if the creature is still moving... you just have to keep up before the next 7 seconds are over.

The Exceptional Milking skills simply cuts the process down from 3 circles (21 seconds) to 1 (7 seconds).
  2. How to root creatures

There is a really simple trick to root creatures for milking. You just have to attack them. My tactic is normally:
    • shoot at the lair to trigger the 2nd wave (makes around 20 creatures in total if you have a greater group)
    • run away and wait for the complete 2nd wave.
    • go to the lair, attack it again
    • wait for all creatures to attack you and launch a AoE (as a commando, I use a mine)
    • let them incap you
    After this, they will scatter again to their original positions but in most cases dont move anymore. Then you have like 20 creatures for easy milking.
As proof, I am not a patient grinder and I have 170k of a single high quality milk spawn... so, I think it is harder than hide or meat, but doable.
Last edited by Zimoon on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added formatting

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 am

Just wanted to add that Starshine Surprise
  1. adds to milking
  2. roots the creature
  3. increases chance for exceptional milk
And yes, this is necroing --- of a guide :D

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Another thing that gives most of the same benefits of Starshine Surprise, and stacks with it, is the ability you get from completing the exceptional milk collection. Using just the bounce back and forth between 2-3 missions method I was able to get 170k milk in one hour, and this was while I was trying to complete the collection. The only thing Starshine Surprise does that the ability doesn't is increase the amount of milk harvested per creature.
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Zimoon wrote: don't remember if they are friendly or hostile.
wont your Gungan faction rating determine that?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:33 pm

redwhitenblue wrote:Another thing that gives most of the same benefits of Starshine Surprise, and stacks with it, is the ability you get from completing the exceptional milk collection. Using just the bounce back and forth between 2-3 missions method I was able to get 170k milk in one hour, and this was while I was trying to complete the collection. The only thing Starshine Surprise does that the ability doesn't is increase the amount of milk harvested per creature.
This is not correct, the second thing it does is to root the creature so it is the easier to milk.
The third is to increase the exceptional chance, until you have filled the collection ;)
/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Savacc wrote:
Zimoon wrote: don't remember if they are friendly or hostile.
wont your Gungan faction rating determine that?
And won't their own faction determine that Gungan or Rogue Gungan :lol:

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 pm

I just activated both buffs on my medic to double check:

Starshine Surprise
Drinking this milk beverage gives bonuses to milking.
Milk Quantity modified by 4.77 points
Exceptional Milk Chance modified by 5.00 points
Stun Milkable Beast Chance modified by 25.00 points

Exceptional Milking
You are an expert at creature milking and can extract milk at a higher rate.
Exceptional Milk Chance modified by 5.00 points
Stun Milkable Beast Chance modified by 25.00 points
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks RWB :)

bigwacka
Novice Crafter

Post by bigwacka » Wed May 04, 2011 1:12 am

Thanks for all the information on milking it has been a great help to a returning player. I do have a few additional questions or maybe observation.

I was chasing milk on endor recently and was spawning the bolle bol I think it was. First point the strategy works perfectly, I was using starshine surprise for the buff and getting good milk quantities however on the second spawn nothing, no milk, no message about not being able to milk the creatures. Only thing I see is the message that they are two far away to milk when they wander off. So after a while of spawning more lairs and nothing happening I give up for the night. Now I do play with about 200-300ms latency and I notice I am well behind the action at time but with 4 tries on different lairs and they were all in the same direction I am left pondering. I was awake enough to make sure there were females and calves in the spawn and these were what I was working on.

Its good milk so I try again the next night and this time I get milk from more that the first spawn but the paralyzing effect fails on every single one. Talk about bad random rolls and I am wearing part of my RE luck suit at the time. Got caught up in the great server shutdown after that so I am keen to have another go when the servers finally come back.

Is milk effected like other creature resource by the invisible quality areas on the map or did I just fall foul of some bug ? As in you can get zero milk from creatures that normally do give milk.

Has it ever been proposed that traders get a creature resource quality survey tool ?

Does luck have an effect on the paralyze roll ?

Can my combat alt I drag around with me milk as well or is it a trader only ability. Can we both get milk from the same creature ?