Beginner's Guide For Traders

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Max BER on harvesters is Personal 5, Med 11 Heavy 14, Elite 44.
Energy harvesters are: Wind 10, Solar 15, Fusion 19
There is also the new Geothermal harvester, BER 15.

Bold indicates where I differ with you on BER rates.

You should edit out the reference to Entertainer buffs affecting resource quality, but a mention of the XP buff would be good.
Also you reference the SWG Crafting Project and even claim Trokk is still involved. Thats a little out of date. :roll:
edit- just noticed, by swg crafting project you mean this site. I thought you were talking about the project you, Arketh and Trokk were working on. And I see you do mention the XP buff under a different topic.

Everything else looks good to me Z. If you just added a chapter on expertise, then maybe just mention the new RE and link to Feral's guide, Ild say you would be up to date. :)

Im going to sticky this, and change my link from the old site to this version.
Hey Z, as a mod, I could edit your guide to make these changes. I wouldnt want to do it without your permission though.
Last edited by Savacc on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: some wrong info

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Thanks Savacc, it was a quick and dirty copy and paste so I expected a few errors to slip by. But as always you are alert and sharp, great.

I will add the mentioned installments as soon as my time permits me to.

Big thanks :D

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Updated the outdated info on Power Crafting and the formulas used. Please, cross check the formulas and numbers, I'd appreciate any corrections.
/Zimoon

Karo
Novice Crafter

Post by Karo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:50 pm

A minor correction, but one that kinda threw me off. In the power trading section, you said the example resource had a stat of 315, but in the formulas you use the stat of 310.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Karo wrote:A minor correction, but one that kinda threw me off. In the power trading section, you said the example resource had a stat of 315, but in the formulas you use the stat of 310.
Thank you! I revamped that section to have the same example expand over the whole section, ending a result of 100 %, everything included. I must have missed that one n one of the iterations finding a good value for the iron. Thanks again.
/Zimoon

Zace66
Novice Crafter

Re: Beginners Guide For Traders

Post by Zace66 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:46 pm

OK, is there any way to describe the changes, or rather, how can a player cope who has come back to SWG after a long break.

I look at the radial thingy and really cant work out how it compares to the previous version of traders.

Is there any way for my trader to skill up in weapons at all? do i need to drop trader to become a commando for a bit? etc...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Now each profession is entirely split from any other profession, i.e. a Trader cannot train in combat and vice versa. Or put differently, a Trader only excel in crafting and only in one of the four branches s/he chose. However, a CL90 Trader can quite successfully handle MOBs up to about CL60 without buffs nor armor and and even up to about CL80 buffed and armored, using only his/her Traders Friend which is quite an awesome pistol.

The Expertise does not really overcome the distinction between professions but still allows for each one character to create its own template and personality.

Assuming you haven't logged in anytime after NGE, if you were a Master Trader when you canceled the account you will not automatically become a Master now. You must probably file a Ticket for a CSR before you do the slightest change to your profession and ask them to reinstate you at the proper level. Politely tell them, stress it, that this is the first time you log in after NGE. This is since SOE changed the profession/level tree twice and that introduced inevitable bugs. If you were not a Master you will get a level appropriate for the level you had.

Welcome back :D

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Ooh, forgot to mention that the distinction between professions is somewhat described in the FAQ above, the "How does respec work, will I need to grind again?" part.

/Z

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Question. What would be the difference between "undercutting" and competitive pricing?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:57 pm

I'd say competitive is to browse the market and for example find that a certain weapon that is not so simple to craft is priced from 100,000 cr and up (a few lousy stat items discarded) and you choose to price at or just below 100,000 credits.

Undercutting would be to sell them for cheaper than, let's say 85,000 cr, and especially so if your only reason for that is to attract customers. Then you will probably attract buyers and you will loose the difference up to a let's say 95,000 credits or thereabout.

Remember though, sometimes items are costly because the seller have perhaps been the only supplier for a while and have cornered the market, or the supply of some items or resource have been short in stock for many crafters. A new spawn can quickly change the conditions for pricing. Items that require some looted component can also shift quickly in price with de/in-creasing supply or if SOE adjusts the loot tables.

Personally I often position myself in the lower segment of the market price, seldom below it as I dislike the chore of always having to stock my vendors. For many traders that is one of the reasons they don't price themselves cheaper than necessary, they don't want to always have to restock.

Sometimes I have put up items built around looted items at prices I found more fair, such as Entertainer props built from Mustafar loot. If the loot is easy to get and you quickly get a full inventory giving many ready made items, why charge 1 million each? Greed? Probably, plus lack of competition. But then I only put up one at a time so resellers will have it a little harder ;)

I know this is a heated topic and I support the diversity in the game. However, too often I see rookies come and undercut the market badly for a few weeks and then they quit crafting or at least find it not so cool anymore, the chores of selling too much makes it less fun. These have hurt the other traders that have to explain why they ask the price they do, for combateers almost looking like Scrooge McDuck ;)

At the end of the day, do as you please and are happy with. I have not put forth a law, but only some advice that have proved to hold true for most of the times.

/Zimoon

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:36 pm

I'd agree with you there, but what's being done about the other end of the spectrum?

We've got obviously heavily experienced traders asking RIDICULOUS prices for various items some mundane and some admittedly rare, but either way way out of control. Whether it's due to an influx of credits bought offline or whatever, these trader whether it be out of sheer greed or not, are killing the market, particularly for new players. You go into some of the vendors shops and none of the stuff is affordable to anybody who's hasn't amassed their first million yet. I purposely try and keep my prices lower just so the new and middle of the road players can afford things, but most vendors just want to squeeze them out of every credit they can. It's outrageous, and it's bad for the game for players to be this selfish.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:19 pm

It is a free world and a free market, nothing to do about. Hopefully these vendors are nothing but dust collectors.

However, it is not the Traders fault that the inflation is awful. There ai not real credit sink in the game, not that any of us really want the insurance fees back, each death cost a fee. But there are other ways that SOE could use to instrument the inflation. Now anyone can become a millionaire in a few days, I mean any combateer can.

I think it is good that you keep in the bottom section as you try to do, but there is nothing you can do about those at the other end, unfortunately.

/Z

SpaceyDaFrog
Novice Crafter

Post by SpaceyDaFrog » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Could you add a section similar to Entertainer Buffs that explains what RE Mods are available and what items they help with? I.E. Advanced Assembly / Advanced Component Experimentation working for Droid Interfaces / Capacitors, and to say that you need Weapon Systems / Weapon Systems Experimentation and *not* Weapon Assembly / Weapon Experimentation to boost the assembly/experimentation rolls for Shripwrights Weapons crafting?
Okopte Jagerman - Structure Trader

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Yes. And no.

Yes, I can add a little about Assembly and Experimentation as such.

No, since that is rather specific to the profession, not to mention the overloaded mods available to SW. However, I will mention their existence and point to the specific profession boards. If no FAQ is present in these boards I can see what I can do, but I prefer experts on the professions respectively include this in their FAQs and guides.

After all, this is "general crafting", not specialized, and I didn't intend to write a Bble ;) :P

/Zimoon

Angabar
Novice Crafter

Post by Angabar » Fri May 09, 2008 3:37 am

I'd suggest to put some information about collections in the "misc"-section. Especially those that a trader can do on his own. My structure trader started with "the collector" in Mos Eisley when i hit cl80 and got a bit bored with the grind. After doing the tutorial collections, the faux real, the wayfar spies collection and four of the armor collections (3x small xp, 4x medium xp) i am now well into cl87 (some armor parts were a bit hard to come by but most are easy to obtain if you are neither rebel nor imperial but some parts i couldn't get i.e. the remaining two sets (though i doubt that even a cl90 combat prof would have been able to get those).

I just think it should be noted that you get xp for the collections since traders don't get any for missions and it's a nice change from all the crafting. For example, while i was on the planets and had to travel them up and down anyway i decided to catch all those nice exploration badges ;)

PS: A "small amount of xp" translated to about 400k XP for my trader at cl80, a "medium amount of xp" to about 800k on cl81 (although the system stated that i had only got about 100k xp as a reward the experience bar proofed that message wrong).