Newbie w/ questions

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Nitebytes
Novice Crafter

Newbie w/ questions

Post by Nitebytes » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 am

Hi all,
New to Traders in SWG (I played a Dancer and a Bounty Hunter pre CU and have just come back to the game).
I've grinded (ground .. whatever) my way to 90, sold of everything that was salable from my grind (I know practice gets more XP, but salable product gets money to buy more grind materials when my harvesters aren't keeping up to demand).

So, my questions:
What is best to sell on the Bazaar and on Vendors?
Now I'm 90 (Structure / Shipwright) there's a ton of cool stuff I want to build for myself and my alts (2 accounts), there's a few things my mates are asking for, but what is good to put in vendors and on the bazaar?
I know from personal taste that furniture could be good, but that's not a big money spinner unless I charge obscene amounts for Armoires, tables, and seating?
My wife is playing an Engineer is selling shed loads of speeders, so if vehicles are what sell, would I better off making starship chassis?

On a related note:
Is it possible to copy/paste within SWG?
If it is it'll save me a hell of a lot of hassle in retyping my vendor location in the description text of everything I sell on the bazaar.

What does one do with the 'offcuts'?
If I understand the resource system correctly once a named resource has depleted, it's dried up never to return, so the odds and ends of old resource I have are useless. Yet the MacGuyver in me is saying to keep it all around for odd jobs or 'just in case'?

btw love the resource monitoring system you have here - looks like it'll be a godsend for making those top notch bits of kit.

Cheers
Server: Eclipse
Guild: Orion
Toons:
Cha'guar Gotha'kon:- Engineer and Geneticist
Kay'leigh:- Dancer, Musician & Plastic Surgeon
Quay-Shi:- Gun for Hire & Interior Designer
Kay'le:- Naritus Refugee, Medic & Beastmaster

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Newbie w/ questions

Post by HydroTek » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello and let me be one of the first to welcome you :D

You are correct to sell all your grind items that you can, too many rush the grind and then dont properly learn their profession ...plus the extra credits are a boon.

Harvesters (heavy and elite) and housing, would be my first vendor items. Look also to space RE and ship items to sell well.

Furniture is best made on a custom basis ..usually with custom naming. I really dislike looking at a beautifully decorated house and seeing all those stock names on items.

Swoops and other vehicles are always good sellers for a DE, try to experiment your swoops to max, and label them with the %. Some will tell you that experimenting on swoops is useless(maybe only a mind trick, but they do seem to take more damage) ...in my experience, they will sell at a premium price.
While you at it, make a R3 adv droid with crafting stations and 30 item storage (handy for field crafting) also a few adv mouse droids with 30 item storage, saves a trip back to your house if you need a resource.

Copy and paste is possible and necessary - look in options >chat (I think) CTRL C (copy) CTRL V (paste) CTRL X (cut) /t bloodfin.HydroTek if you need any help :)

What does one do with the 'offcuts'? Use a recycler for all those pesky resource bits and ends ...never delete anything. The schems are loot drops and you can also find them on the bazaar. (These tools are used from your inventory/hand)

The resource database is great here and schematics too ... also check out Zimoon's swgaide tool.
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Hydrotek covered everything, so let me just be the second to welcome you :D

Shipwright is a difficult field to break into, because of the resources. Making Chassis takes tons of resources and everything must be quality, then the experimental properties change from item to item. Gathering all the resources you will need to make "capped" products will take months or years of resource harvesting (or a lot of purchasing). There is a market for less then perfect chassis and parts at the lower levels, for pilots that are "grinding".

Your shipwright char needs to be a master pilot. Even if you have ground to master on another char, do it again on your shippy. Make your own chassis and parts to learn what works and what doesnt.

Nitebytes
Novice Crafter

Post by Nitebytes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:37 am

AH!
Shiney. I'll keep an eye out for those Schematics.

Thanks for the info, especially on the copy/paste - that'll save a reall ballache of a job (and save me getting in to trouble using a barker droid - are those things useful or just a quick route to have someone complain about spamming?)

I'll check out the SWGAide tool this weekend.
(don't suppose anyone's developed a SWGCraft app for the iphone have they?)
Toons:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 am

Welcome around and have fun w SWGAide :)

iPhone ... nope, that should also need approval from their app-store :(
Plus loads of work to scale down loads of things for the smaller form.

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Nitebytes wrote:(don't suppose anyone's developed a SWGCraft app for the iphone have they?)
One was released that requires a jailbroken iPhone: http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... =29&t=2013

I doubt it is still being developed though.

Nitebytes
Novice Crafter

Post by Nitebytes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:45 am

Haven't gotten my head around the RE stuff yet. Still learning the architect side of the trade. Sounds fairly groovey though.
Finally got around to making my first few Elite Harvesters (for myself - I'll start to sell some when I have more than I can use ...)

Oh well no worries on the app ... the website version works fine on my phone anyway.
Toons:

Nitebytes
Novice Crafter

Post by Nitebytes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh, next question (cos I do have loads)

Can you craft in space?
I have (on two of my toons) the luxury yacht thingy, which is a nice walkabout and decorate it type of starship.
So I figured (from a RP perspective) I could invite my clients aboard and custom craft some pieces (obviously not an elite harvester - unless I have the crated bits already) as a 'while you wait' service.

However while I was there doing some decorating, I tried to fire up my generic crafting tool, but nothing happened.
Is one supposed to be able to craft in space?
Toons:

Darkflier_Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Darkflier_Industries » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Open your inventory and double click on the crafting tool from there...just had to do this yesterday.

Nitebytes
Novice Crafter

Post by Nitebytes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:48 am

Ah cool. I was trying to run it from the tool bar like I do 'on planet'.
Cheers.
Toons:

Darkflier_Industries
Novice Crafter

Post by Darkflier_Industries » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 pm

I did that too, it was quite frustrating at first. Always trying to find the game mechanic loopholes to do things...crafting in my Yacht is always fun.