Newb trader questions

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

SneakyJes
Novice Crafter

Newb trader questions

Post by SneakyJes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 pm

I haven't play swg since before the combat change, but I'm back and having a lot of fun. I decided to try my hand in crafting, since I love doing it and I heard the swg has a really challenging system. Anyway, I'm currently a lvl 10 structures trader on Starsider. I put up 2 wind generators and starting scouting around for steel, metal, and ore, etc to make some more wind generators. I've been reading these awesome guides, but I have some questions, not only about trading but also the state of the game.

1. I only have the ability to make wind generators. Do I have to buy a schematic for mineral extractors to be able to make them?
2. I'm currently messing around on Tatooine, mostly because that's where I started. Is there a different planet I should start on to learn harvesting and a little about crafting?
3. While looking on the bazaar, I noticed no one was selling wind energy. Really the only energy selling was geothermal. Also, there was zero mineral extractors up on the bazaar. Didn't really look like much actvity. Are the servers that dead? Is it worth even messing around with trading at this point?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Newb trader questions

Post by Savacc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:57 am

Welcome :D

My first advise is to study this: Z's Guide for Beginning Crafters
Then you might wander over to the Architect Forum and take a look at the FAQ I wrote

1. No you do not need to buy new schematics, you gain them as you level. Im not sure when you get the first mineral harvesters, but I think you should get them at the same time as wind. If not, they should be in the very next schematics you acquire. You may need to make a Structures Crafting Tool, instead of using the General Crafting Tool you started with.

2. You do not need to leave Tatooine, but you will want to some day to see what else is out there. From a crafting standpoint, Tat has no advantages or disadvantages over any other planet. Since not all resources spawn on all planets, eventually there is going to be a resource you feel you must have spawning somewhere else and you will want to go there and harvest it.

3. Wind energy is not very efficient to harvest or use, so I am not surprised there is none for sale. I would recommend, once you get some mineral harvesters, that you harvest "radioactives" for use as energy. You may need to expand your bazaar searches, from regional to planet to entire galaxy. Also, have you tried searching player vendors?

SneakyJes
Novice Crafter

Post by SneakyJes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks.

I read both those guides, very helpful. I found some harvesters last night, also going to try and make the next level of crafting tool to see if I do have those schematics already. Now I have a few energy harvesters, a few mineral harvesters going, just learning the robes. This is actually nice, because for a min credits down, I have have some harvesters getting materials for leveling up with enough energy for awhile, and the extra energy is going up for sale. All the wind energy I initially put up sold.

It's funny, but I'm having more fun with my lvl 10 trader than I am with my 25 jedi lol. Didn't see that happening.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Welcome around Sneaky :)

Great to see you enjoying the game ... though I doubt I'd buy from a trader named sneaky 8)

/Zimoon

SneakyJes
Novice Crafter

Post by SneakyJes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Zimoon wrote:a trader named sneaky

/Zimoon
He's very chubby and lovable, guaranteed you'd buy from no one else. Think Chris Farley in Tommy Boy, but in space!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:03 pm

SneakyJes wrote:
Zimoon wrote:a trader named sneaky

/Zimoon
He's very chubby and lovable, guaranteed you'd buy from no one else. Think Chris Farley in Tommy Boy, but in space!
Yeah ... in Sweden we once had a serial named such as "My Honest Blue Eyes" and though looking good she was ... not that honest ... to say the least :lol:

Allurbase
Novice Crafter

Post by Allurbase » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:48 pm

You may want to move onto fusion generators at some point. The only require money to maintain, unlike mineral harvesters where you have to use energy to gather energy. The problem with little power on the bazaar -- and you DO want to look for radioactive-- is prolly because most people have self-powered harvester deeds (veteran reward) or they mine their own and hold it.

The reason you want to go after radioactive is that the higher levels return more power than what it would be per unit. Correct me if I'm wrong out there, but I believe Class 7 radio (the best you can get) return 2 power units for every 1 unit of resource. This ration depends on potential energy as well, not overall quality. So, for a simple example, if you have 1000 units of lvl 7 radio with a PE of 100, you would get 2000 power units.

So build yourself a fusion generator :D
AllUrBase ArBelongTuoUs
DoM - Defenders of Monkeys
Card-carrying member of the Non-Factors' Alliance
Don't /quitlife, /respec instead

IGN Allurbase or Androh - Vendors: DoM Mart
SW of Mos Eisley, wp 2684 -5300 (Chilastra)

SneakyJes
Novice Crafter

Post by SneakyJes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Thank you for that tip. Do you know what level I could build those?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:06 am

Allurbase, you would be correct if the PE was 1000 on the radioactive, and only a class 7, Unknown Radioactive, Mustafar Radioactive, or the JTL Radioactive could have PE of 1000 (because of resource caps).

The code (copied from Z's guide) is
power_units = PE / 500 (if PE > 500)

This means that any resource (that is a power source) will give at least 1 unit of power. Those with PE over 500 will give more then one unit of power per unit of resource. Wind Energy has a cap of 200 PE, and Solar Energy has a cap of 500. So only Geothermal and Radioactives have high enough PE scores to take advantage of this feature.

SneakyJes, you will want to wait till you are lvl 90 to make a Fusion Generator, though you get the schematic earlier.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:57 am

SneakyJes wrote:Thank you for that tip. Do you know what level I could build those?
May I humbly suggest you have a look at SWGAide ... it displays all schematics that are listed here at SWGCraft (edits and news come through within 24 hours) and that includes at which level you learn stuff at. But more than that, it helps you keeping an eye at current spawns that are reported to SWGCraft and it helps you report new resources and mark other as depleted. If still not convinced it helps you maintain your resource inventory and at the schematics windows you see which resources are the best fit for certain schematics, or if there are better resources in spawn. And I have not yet mentioned the mail/trade windows 8)

If you have more suggestions on features or improvements we are all ears. It is always good to hear comments from a newcomer's point of view, post in the SWGAide board. Remember to hit the F1 button as soon as you have questions though, I hope most stuff is explained ... otherwise you'd complain at me.

/Zimoon