Silly question about artisan skill...

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Silly question about artisan skill...

Post by Tech Twin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 pm

What does the artisan skill bonus refer to? Is there a group of items that fall under this category or is artisan the general skill that applies to all crafted items? So if I have an architect and an engineer and I want to build a crafting suit what bonus would I need. Also with the expertise tree, is the artisan line beneficial?

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Silly question about artisan skill...

Post by Zimoon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Nodwe wrote:What does the artisan skill bonus refer to? Is there a group of items that fall under this category or is artisan the general skill that applies to all crafted items? So if I have an architect and an engineer and I want to build a crafting suit what bonus would I need. Also with the expertise tree, is the artisan line beneficial?

Generally speaking, with exceptions to the rule, everything up to but less than CL 18 is Artisan schematics.

There is a historical reason for "Artisan". When SWG was launched all crafters started at the base profession Artisan, then could then pick and choose brnaches from the elite professions. http://swg.allakhazam.com/db/skills.html?swgprof=1 still presents the old style, quite an awesome "museum" :)

When NGE came the Devs made it all linear, took the different branches from ach profession box and laid them out in a line. Hence Artisan is the first part of each line, then comes the elite stuff.

I am not sure if you really need the Artisan skill or not. For some odd reason the crafting stations are in that skill, but I will wait for Savacc's wisdom on that one ;)

/Zimoon

EDITED: Corrected the info on level to ≤ 18.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm

In its 5 year history, this game has undergone two major revisions. Originally Artisan was the base Crafting profession and the others, such as Architect and Droid Engineer, were advanced crafting professions that branched off from Artisan. Back then you could pick and choose which professions you wanted to be and how far you wanted to advance in one or several. Then the NGE (the latest revision to the game) came and we had to pick only one profession to be. The NGE took the old crafting professions and combined them into four Trader Classes. All four Trader Classes got some of the basic Artisan profession. Then they combined Architect and Shipwright, Armorer and Weaponsmith, Tailor and Chef, Droid Engineer some Weaponsmith and the advanced Artisan schematics into the Trader Classes we have now.

So, I suppose your question now is which schematics are Artisan (and use Artisan Skill) and which are advanced (and use Arch, Chef etc. Skill)? I believe this site does break the schematics down for you, by profession. An easy way ingame to tell though is that the "General Crafting Tool" can only make Artisan Schematics. If its on the General Crafting Tool, it uses Artisan Skill. If you have to use one of the advanced tools then its using another skill. Unfortunately the advanced tools were around long before the NGE and do not follow the same paths as the NGE Trader classes. Also, every Artisan Schematic is on at least one of the advanced tools (otherwise you could never experiment them) So because its on an advanced tool does not mean its not an Artisan Schematic. Have I confussed you yet? Another quick way to tell, if you learned the schematic before you were level 18, its an Artisan Schematic, if you learned at level 18 or more, its advanced. Unlesss you are an Engineer and you get the advanced Artisan schematics. I must have confussed you now. :roll:

Im going to confuse you some more. Looking at our Schematics breakdown by professions on the front page of this site, I see we use the NGE skillwheel divisions and not by the old pre NGE professions. So we do not list every Artisan Schematic for you. :oops: However, if you know the "codewords" for artisan in the NGE, you can figure it out. Basically all "Fundamental" Skills in a class are Artisan. That is, all Structure Fundamantal Skills I-IV are Artisan Skills in the Structure Trader Class, all Domestic Fundamantal Skills use Artisan Skill and so forth.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 pm

I see Z posted faster then I did.

A seperate issue is the one about Crafting Stations. Crafting Stations should use Structure Skill (Architect) to make, but they dont. Its a known bug they have tried to fix once and were unsuccessful, so it seems they quit trying. Crafting Stations do use Artisan Skill, so if you plan on being a Structures Trader that makes Crafting Stations and want the expertise or suit for them, then you need Artisan.

For the most part, extra Artisan Skill is not nearly as important as the advanced Skills. If you want to save on crafting suits, or you want to get another expertise tree, Artisan is the first place to cut.

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:07 pm

*scratches head*

uhm... okay.

Nah, actually. I've been playing on and off since beta and remember the pre-NGE prof system fondly, haha. I've always had a poor grasp of the trader profs but I've think I'm on my way to fixing that. I think I get how they did the crafting conversions from the old system to the new. Thanks, for the responses. They were just what I was needing.

:)

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!