Can other professions increase surveying skill?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

ymisopoor
Novice Crafter

Can other professions increase surveying skill?

Post by ymisopoor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 pm

I've recently returned to SWG after several years - so this may me a silly question. As a commando, I'd like to help a crafter friend collect resources but I don't seem to be increasing my ability to survey. After several days of surveying, I'm still limited to a 64m swipe. I can't seem to find any information on how surveying/sampling xp works now. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Can other professions increase surveying skill?

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:17 pm

Only Traders will increase this skill while they level up. Quite quick increase in fact.

I believe there is a modded ring or the similar which perhaps could help.

The best way is probably to have your friend do the surveying and hand you the waypoint.

Also, let him put down the harvester, would you use these, while he has the Entertainer buff and expertize, then do /transferStruct YOURNAME to let you have and pander it while it sucks up whatever is under it. The buffs etc., apply even after a transfer. He can then put down harvies for himself on the freed lots.

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 am

You can also make the Surveyors jewelry from the Mustafar cube that will give you +20 Surveying.

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 am

I seem to recall some debate as to whether it actually *works* but Chandad still gives a bonus to surveying, at least nominally. Likewise, you might find old pre-CU bio-engineered clothing (or pre-CU enhanced cloth to make it) with +surveying on it - I've some myself, and I can't be the only one who kept some.

I seem to recall the question was, do non-traders have 0 surveying, or null surveying - because if it's null, all the +surveying loot in the world won't help, right?

Edit - found the thread where this was discussed, if you want to have a closer look - they seem to be suggesting that at least Chandad doesn't even work on lowbie traders, let alone non-traders.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:04 am

I think all Survey enhancers to non-master-traders will enhance the surveying skill, but for masters it is either on a diminishing return aka almost none, or it really is none. I believe nobody has cared testing this out and it is also hard to test. The range on the tool is maxed to 320 meters so no enhancers will help a master with that.
/Zimoon

ymisopoor
Novice Crafter

Post by ymisopoor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try some modded clothing and if all else fails have my friend do the leg work.