11.4 broke harvesters

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Oar
Novice Crafter

11.4 broke harvesters

Post by Oar » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:23 am

Valara the forum correspondent confirmed this as an unintended oops. Be nice if I could find the link again, but I can't seem to get into the official forums. They are down for repairs.

Not sure if you've bumped into this problem, but you will. Harvesters of all sizes and BERs will no longer work on Dathomir, Yavin 4 and Endor. They put constraints on harvesters just like houses, in 11.4; making these three planets much like Mustafar. Some posters are whispering stealth nerfs, and not mistakes. It would be logical, to conclude this as a stealth nerf, as it falls in line with the current trend of stuffing more people on less servers. Freeing up planets of harvesters would be ideal for that purpose, if they were to introduce houses for those, in the near future. But who really knows what they are planning.

Hard to say if or when it will get fixed, if it really is an oops, like their coorespondent reported tonight. This kinda upset me and I had to log and take a break from SWG; I spent an hour finding a 77% 1000 OQ Corn to drop a harvester on Yavin, just to find out at the last minute, my old Harvester NOW HAD constraints.

I imagine we'll see a fix when they come out with the next expansion of TCG. Or like some posters have mentioned, a special TCG uber harvester. That seems to be where SOE is putting its time and efforts these days. Into loot we have to buy with hard cash, instead of quests and collections. Sad state of development, this obvious greed by SWG has blur'd my immersion into SWG and questioned my continued membership.

I have real SWG cards I can play, about two dozen decks, I don't feel my fifteen dollars should pay for virtual cards design and development. Ahhh but anyway, just thought you'd be interested in knowing this isn't supposed to be a bug. Take care.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: 11.4 broke harvesters

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:58 am

Yeah you have to admire the way this one has come about, I really wonder what was happening that internal QA and two Test Centers completely missed it.

Seriously you would have thought that someone on either the TC or TCPrime would have tried placing harvester on one of the adventure planets in the last two weeks.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:42 am

It has happened many times that TC players have reported bugs and issues that have been ignored by the Devs and QA. Sometimes they did not understand how serious the impact would be (as in when they altered requirements for cities, later noticed as a mis-calculation), and others they say the y didn't have the time for that fix.

Either way, I see no reason for any conspiracy theories on this matter. But they were fun to read :P

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 am

Zimoon wrote:It has happened many times that TC players have reported bugs and issues that have been ignored by the Devs and QA. Sometimes they did not understand how serious the impact would be (as in when they altered requirements for cities, later noticed as a mis-calculation), and others they say the y didn't have the time for that fix.

Either way, I see no reason for any conspiracy theories on this matter. But they were fun to read :P

/Zimoon

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a conspiracy by any stretch of the imagination but it is borderline incompetence on behalf of the testing and QA process, no one believes in or even expects perfect bug free software these days but I think we have a right to expect that all practical steps have been taken to find and rectify bugs and in this case it is clear that things were over looked.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:23 am

Monty Burns wrote:...I certainly wouldn't describe it as a conspiracy by any stretch of the imagination but it is borderline incompetence on behalf of the testing and QA process, no one believes in or even expects perfect bug free software these days but I think we have a right to expect that all practical steps have been taken to find and rectify bugs and in this case it is clear that things were over looked.
Definitely ;)
/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:27 am

And this link kind of shoots every conspiracy theory down: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... 77#8737196

/Zimoon

Oar
Novice Crafter

Post by Oar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:...I certainly wouldn't describe it as a conspiracy by any stretch of the imagination but it is borderline incompetence on behalf of the testing and QA process, no one believes in or even expects perfect bug free software these days but I think we have a right to expect that all practical steps have been taken to find and rectify bugs and in this case it is clear that things were over looked.
Definitely ;)
/Z
I had to quit over this one here. Blew an evening trying to find a good node, just to find out that Barns and Diners loot, I have to shell out more money to obtain, ruined all my cap'd Elite Harvesters. Now they tell me I have to buy NEW Elites! Get out of here. Oar and Vyyyk from Sunrunner will not be sending out rogue Hoth invites, anymore to the community. I can't believe they banned me from their forums for bringing up the harvester bug.

Kinda glad tho, it gave me a reason to compose a long winded goodbye to my guildmateys and quit. I am resolving to buy a better MMO for 09. I suggest you do the same.

Ozzman
Novice Crafter

Post by Ozzman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Why do you have to buy new elites? I must have missed something.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 pm

I am kind of lost here as well my harvesters are working fine.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:19 pm

I must admit I am also quite lost here.

Obviously the patch today did not do it, at least I have a bunch of harvester deeds that still "reads" they have placing restrictions. If they can or cannot be be placed at Dath/Endor/Yavin I don´t know yet.

However, the issue is reported and discussed at the Devs forum. I assume this will be fixed shortly. I have had no troubles in the past getting replacement items when game broke something for me. On the other hand, I usually mind my language speaking with the GMs, knowing they are innocent of the situation but just our service people.

If you was suspended from the official forums Oar, was that possibly due to bad language or trolling? I ask since I know of nobody that has been suspended cause of politely reporting bugs. But I know of several that nobody wondered about the reason.

If you really mean it leaving SWG, please tune in here when you've found an MMO with the same awesome crafting system as SWG has :)

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:07 am

People are saying that if they purchase new harvesters the problem is solved so I am wondering whether putting the harvesters on a broker and buying them back for 1 cred may not solve the problem as I imagine that 90% of the ones on vendors now were made before this problem began.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 am

At official SOE forums the Structure Senator is taking care of this issue.
It turns out it had something to do with Life Day, exactly what and how is not really interesting to me. It affected only deeds in inventory, such as my deeds. Most probably they will add some code that retroactively fixes affected deeds, otherwise they will have my tickets to the GM coming.

/Zimoon

Oar
Novice Crafter

Post by Oar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:06 am

Zimoon wrote: If you was suspended from the official forums Oar, was that possibly due to bad language or trolling? I ask since I know of nobody that has been suspended cause of politely reporting bugs.
/Zimoon
I shouldn't have LOL'd SOE for putting out a one line patch. I couldn't stop laughing that they would refer to 11.5 as a chapter. I think the funnier part of my post regarding 11.5, was that I pointed out that it took them two and half days from 11.4 to produce 11.5 and it didn't even get it right.

They are human after all. I know. But so am I. I don't deserve to be called a Troll for SOE criticism. I shouldn't have LOL'd them, I know. But its just too funny to hold in. It took them two days to make a hotfix that FAILED.

That was the last thing I posted regarding anything SWG related. And to be honest, I have no idea why I was banned, it says, Reason: Other and Reason: Trolling. I didn't get a PM or email from NOREPLY@ with an explanation of how my post trespassed the forum guidelines. I didn't learn a thing from this ban, other than how to unsubscirbe. Seems to me, they don't wanna hear anymore honest criticism. That's the only thing I can figure out.

If I find another real good crafting game with revolutionary harvesting, like SWG had when it hit the market, I'll post and let ya all know. My buddy wants me to play EQ2 with him, but I just can't buy another SOE product for awhile. Customer Service means a bit more to me, as I get older. I haven't got the time or patience to figure things out like I did ten years ago when I was younger.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:16 am

I would probably be a little more annoyed had there been something worth harvesting up but there isn't so having my harvesters down on those planets is really not that big a deal to me.

I am having fun messing around with the x-mas thing and working on getting a better understanding of my Weaponsmith.

Oar
Novice Crafter

Post by Oar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:23 am

Monty Burns wrote:I would probably be a little more annoyed had there been something worth harvesting..
Yea, that could have come across in my post, I was annoyed, blew an evening hunting that corn with my officer and his 64m survey distance on Yavin for nothing. So I was.

I love space Monty, well when I was a member. I'd have helped you get your Ace. I like working on space collections.

Zim, here is my last post on the SWG forum, before I got banned. My forum nick over there was payingcustomer.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=803743