Can some one explain how tractorbeams work...

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Can some one explain how tractorbeams work...

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:45 am

Do they:

A) Just pull the target closer so it can be hit with the mining laser.
B) Pull it in and destroy the asteroid chunk.
C) Something completely different.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Can some one explain how tractorbeams work...

Post by Savacc » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:45 am

They pull the smaller chunks into your ship and deposit them in your cargo hold. They are twice as efficient as shooting the small chunks with your mining laser.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Savacc wrote:They pull the smaller chunks into your ship and deposit them in your cargo hold. They are twice as efficient as shooting the small chunks with your mining laser.
So with a tractor beam I don't have to shoot the bits at all?

alibegoa
Novice Crafter

Post by alibegoa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:44 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Savacc wrote:They pull the smaller chunks into your ship and deposit them in your cargo hold. They are twice as efficient as shooting the small chunks with your mining laser.
No but you still have to chase them around and wait until they are pulled in.
Tried it many times and found it much easier and less frustrating to use a laser.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 pm

alibegoa wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:
No but you still have to chase them around and wait until they are pulled in.
Tried it many times and found it much easier and less frustrating to use a laser.
So you don't use a tractor beam at all?

I have been debating whether to just load up two mining lasers and drop the beam.

Basically I am trying to optimise my X-Wing Advanced with a mining package but I can't decide what the most efficient way to go is.

To date I am using:
1xDefensive Cannon
1xMk III Mining Laser
1xTractor Beam
1x5500 unit Cargo Hold

I had hoped by now to be flying either the Y-8 or a B-Wing but the imperial corvette is causing me some issues, however it was mentioned yesterday that I may be attacking the wrong corvette and that the "Star Ravager" was a suicide run but I have yet to see any other imperial corvette up there.

alibegoa
Novice Crafter

Post by alibegoa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:04 pm

No I don't use a tractor beam at all.
And star ravager is the corvette you have to destroy to get to be master.
Nothing really much to it, I suggest using missiles to get rid of shields until you get hang of it.
And don't forget to first get rid of weapon 5 on the corvette.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:40 am

I would recommend you learn to use the Tractor Beam. You will find it mines the asteroid much faster then shooting them. The trick is to match speeds with the larger chunk at range 100, activate the tractor, then start blasting away with your laser. When the chunk pops, most of the time, if you do it right, the tractor sweeps up the small chunks immediatly, before they scatter. If they scatter, get the close ones, but dont waste a lot of time chaseing down the far ones. Its better to go back and break another chunk off the main asteroid and try again.

Oar
Novice Crafter

Post by Oar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:30 pm

Monty Burns wrote:Do they:

Monty, use the laser to destroy the big roid, then when its in pieces floating in all directions drive thru them with your tractor beam TOGGLED on. Use a macro to autotarget next friendly and autofollow it.

If you fire your tractor beam by trigger or tied to laser; it consumes more power and that's bad. Tractors pull them in, and you'll know you got it, when the % in hold chat text appears. Just as if you successfully shot one with the small laser. But with one big bonus, you get twice the resources using a tractor beam than using a laser.

I found it best to mount my tractorbeam on my Bwing in the top gun. Makes it easier to grab em with autofollow on. Way out at wing end, sometimes misses them.

There is a way to ironman harvest with a Y8. The procedure is kinda tricky and dips closely into exploit areas. As the Y8 is not a soloer vessel, and this procedure is for solo.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:16 am

Oar wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:Do they:

Monty, use the laser to destroy the big roid, then when its in pieces floating in all directions drive thru them with your tractor beam TOGGLED on. Use a macro to autotarget next friendly and autofollow it.

If you fire your tractor beam by trigger or tied to laser; it consumes more power and that's bad. Tractors pull them in, and you'll know you got it, when the % in hold chat text appears. Just as if you successfully shot one with the small laser. But with one big bonus, you get twice the resources using a tractor beam than using a laser.

I found it best to mount my tractorbeam on my Bwing in the top gun. Makes it easier to grab em with autofollow on. Way out at wing end, sometimes misses them.

There is a way to ironman harvest with a Y8. The procedure is kinda tricky and dips closely into exploit areas. As the Y8 is not a soloer vessel, and this procedure is for solo.

Man I wish I could complete the corvette mission so that I could get a B-Wing or even use the Y-8 but my piloting skills and craft are just not up it even though I have the mission.
I have been trying for a month now to solo that Corvette and the best I can do is take down the No5 gun and get about half way through the shields before I get blasted to bits.

I think the most annoying aspect of mining is the T1 ships that continuously attack me even though it would take about 60 of them to dent my shields.
I tend to think gray mobs should not attack you as it is in other MMO's

Well about 1 hour after I wrote this a friend logged in and helped me through the corvette so I have finally hit ace.
:)

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:11 am

Congrats on making Ace :D

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Savacc wrote:Congrats on making Ace :D

You know I was happy as hell about achieving this milestone until I saw the requirements to make my Y-8 now I am thinking the X-Wing Advanced wasn't as bad as I first thought. :P

Anyway I still have two more characters to attain the title with before my space career is done, I have Neutral and Imperial pilots under construction.