Some Crafter Questions

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Locked
dew1960
Novice Crafter
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:29 am

Some Crafter Questions

Post by dew1960 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:24 am

Hello again folks! Thanks to everyone that has enlightened me so far. I read the beginner crafting guide, very usefull. I went back and read it again and picked up even more info this time.

Is there a way to determine approximately how much xp crafting a particular item will give, before spending the resources on it? If I had the forumula, I could put it in a spreadsheet. Is it based on complexity, schematic data size, number of resources used? I crafted a swoop at lvl 22, used a bunch of resources but did not give me nearly as much xp as if I had used the same number of resouces to make a bunch of items. I know I got good xp making the reverse engineering tool, then harvesters, and then I made a bunch of droid components (this did not yield that much xp) and then I made lvl 1 flight computers and it seemed to be an effecient use of the resouces for the xp. As a bonus I could craft it in the field while sampling for more resources for all the above. Now I am not sure if I should go back to harvesters, do more flight computers or perhaps soemthing else to get me to the next area of expertise around lvl 26 or so. I think at lvl 30 more options open up to make droids that I could probably sell. Swoops are only selling for about 5k on my server (Ahazi) so I actually could do better selling the resources for 1cr per! *Edit* u]I noticed large glasses yield decent xp for only 100 units of crytalline gemstone![/u][

I have been harvesting lots of resources from Mustafar to try and sell. I got my house up and 3 vendors loaded with various items and resources but nothing seems to be selling lately, lol. Even the high quality mustafar resources are not selling like I thought they would, in fact I have yet to sell any. I offered them in units of 250, 500, 1k, 5. Maybe it is just a slow time this week or no one wants to fly to Anchor head to visit my shop.

So, any suggestions for a DE to grind for XP -or- loot? I am hoping I can sell some vehicle customization units or maybe some of the less common speeders (but wow,these eat up the resources).

Gonna try to go and get the legacy quest line to make some credits and maybe try some pilot misions. I am beginning to think I should have done the structure trader class instead and maybe respec'd later to make droids. SO far, I can only make the mouse droid and it does nothing but follow me, LOL


The basic traders guide is awesome is the an intermediate or advanced version somewhere?

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Some Crafter Questions

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:31 am

dew1960 wrote:Hello again folks! Thanks to everyone that has enlightened me so far. I read the beginner crafting guide, very usefull. I went back and read it again and picked up even more info this time.
Yes, many crafters use it as kind of an encyclopaedia :)
dew1960 wrote:Is there a way to determine approximately how much xp crafting a particular item will give, before spending the resources on it? If I had the forumula, I could put it in a spreadsheet. Is it based on complexity, schematic data size, number of resources used? I crafted a swoop at lvl 22, used a bunch of resources but did not give me nearly as much xp as if I had used the same number of resouces to make a bunch of items. I know I got good xp making the reverse engineering tool, then harvesters, and then I made a bunch of droid components (this did not yield that much xp) and then I made lvl 1 flight computers and it seemed to be an effecient use of the resouces for the xp. As a bonus I could craft it in the field while sampling for more resources for all the above. Now I am not sure if I should go back to harvesters, do more flight computers or perhaps soemthing else to get me to the next area of expertise around lvl 26 or so. I think at lvl 30 more options open up to make droids that I could probably sell. Swoops are only selling for about 5k on my server (Ahazi) so I actually could do better selling the resources for 1cr per! *Edit* I noticed large glasses yield decent xp for only 100 units of crytalline gemstone![
There is no precise formula for XP. The in-exact formula is 2.5 XP/unit, but that varies a lot. Shipwright, for example, has a lot less XP per unit.

Prices are very different, yes, and you need to find what really sells the best at your galaxy. If you find the interest too low, move along.

I guess I cannot provide a generic advice here, trial and error, and learning the market. Every galaxy is different so ...
dew1960 wrote:I have been harvesting lots of resources from Mustafar to try and sell. I got my house up and 3 vendors loaded with various items and resources but nothing seems to be selling lately, lol. Even the high quality mustafar resources are not selling like I thought they would, in fact I have yet to sell any. I offered them in units of 250, 500, 1k, 5. Maybe it is just a slow time this week or no one wants to fly to Anchor head to visit my shop.
I don't know Ahazi, but yes, some weeks can be very slow. Again, galaxies are very different. Furthermore, I assume you have not heard so much about the soon-to-come "Free Transfer Service" when people will be offered one free transfer each character from low-pop galaxies to a set of selected galaxies with better population. This may have an impact on galaxies where the population knows they are soon to emigrate, would it not? But I don't know if that affects Ahazi or not.
dew1960 wrote:So, any suggestions for a DE to grind for XP -or- loot? I am hoping I can sell some vehicle customization units or maybe some of the less common speeders (but wow,these eat up the resources).

Gonna try to go and get the legacy quest line to make some credits and maybe try some pilot misions. I am beginning to think I should have done the structure trader class instead and maybe respec'd later to make droids. SO far, I can only make the mouse droid and it does nothing but follow me, LOL
I am still hoping that the Devs will give the Trader profession progression a huge revamp and give us a Trader-Legacy quest line, with good XP and nice rewards. But for now the Structure Traders are blessed with a good progression and they can sell stuff from day one. You can of course respec to Structure Trader and then back, or simply start a second toon, but then you need to plan for how to transfer your current stock to the new toon.
dew1960 wrote:The basic traders guide is awesome is the an intermediate or advanced version somewhere?
I actually believe that some of the chapters are not only intermediate but advanced (Power Crafting for one). What you want is rather the profession specific guides. Some are found in the profession specific forums, if not here yet they are found at SWG/SOE's forum for the 4 Trader classes, see Galactic Career Paths.

Have fun

/Zimoon

User avatar
wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 am
Location: Naboo (4618, -7289)

Re: Some Crafter Questions

Post by wrackspurt » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 pm

dew1960 wrote:
So, any suggestions for a DE to grind for XP -or- loot? I am hoping I can sell some vehicle customization units or maybe some of the less common speeders (but wow,these eat up the resources).
Yeah, this is what I want to know too. I"m at 42 and churning out swoops as fast as I can, but the progression is slowing to a crawl, plus on top of all that, I can't even make very good droids yet, and I'm half way to the top almost. I think I'm going to be respeccing to structures and then back to DE when I can finally make some decent droids.

User avatar
Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:33 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Some Crafter Questions

Post by Onyx » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:36 pm

The last couple crafters I levelled I actually stopped around CL55-58 and started in on collections. You can pretty much go the rest of the way that way if you want to.

The Meatlump Themepark collections give gobs of XP (most of them are nearly two levels each) but you will need a combat player to go with you to help you do the unlock quests and then to help kill the random spawns while you do the puzzles. Sure, it takes a little longer than sitting there letting your eyes bug out while crafting but it's a nice diversion and for me was some fun in a group running around.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Some Crafter Questions

Post by TradeMaster » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:10 am

I ran with swoops from the time I could craft 'em. Darn nice having something to grind that can be sold. Also, I supplemented with pet foods. small resource needs, decent xp (900 per for the 40 resources, making them, and no xp buff) and as a DE, there's no need to even bother experimenting, (what with the 60% failure chance) so I just run my crafting macro, grind out my inventory full and toss them on my vendor for 600 credits. It's not much but it keeps my harvesters maintained.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests