Pirates of the Burning Sea

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea

Post by Savacc » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:26 pm

wrackspurt wrote:
Tyfo wrote:The game seems fairly interesting. I will wait for a free trial though.
Yeah, asking us to blindly shell out $50 without even testing it, is asking a lot. But those of you playing it are satisfied though? Is it worth it?
If you already have the Station Pass, like I do, adding PotBS is just the cost of the game. Ild spend more then the 50 bucks on movie rentals, or something else, if I didnt have PotBS to play.

I like the game. I intentionally took a different economic path then TGW did, so we make different things. Finding an economic niche is something I have yet to achieve. Ive spent a lot ingame on building my economic infrastructure, but have yet to find a sellable product I can make. Making ships would sell, but TGW and I are not built up to that point yet. If we had a couple more of you helping out, we could build ships, hint, hint. :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:50 am

I don't know what too do. The crafting part was slow for me theres no involved too it at all swg crafting system is way better. I've went back too eve online and have been playing for 2 years.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Any server problems with Pirates?

Because for 24 hours I've not been able to login to Galaxies. I get the "Connecting to the Galaxy..." message and then nothing, it never logs on. Not into Eclipse or FarStar.

I ran a full system scan, have no spyware or antivirus software running, uninstalled and reinstalled launcher and still nothing. Nothing has changed with my system, thought I was out of town when they did Chapter 9, so I'm wondering if it isn't involved with that. My roommate isn't having any problems logging in to WOW, and I've logged into to POTC online just to get into the mood.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:36 pm

Savacc wrote:If we had a couple more of you helping out, we could build ships, hint, hint. :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
Hook me up with one of those Buddy Keys.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Memnoc wrote:I don't know what too do. The crafting part was slow for me theres no involved too it at all swg crafting system is way better. I've went back too eve online and have been playing for 2 years.
I agree with you Memnoc, the crafting system in SWG is the best there is, even after the devs screwed it up with the NGE. Crafting in PoTBS is mainly a means just to make what you need and allow you to purchase what you can't make from someone else. The complicated part of Crafting in Pirates, is not the actual crafting, but the economy and figuring out prices, where to buy and where to sell stuff, that's where it get's interesting and difficult.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:07 pm

wrackspurt wrote:Any server problems with Pirates?

Because for 24 hours I've not been able to login to Galaxies. I get the "Connecting to the Galaxy..." message and then nothing, it never logs on. Not into Eclipse or FarStar.

I ran a full system scan, have no spyware or antivirus software running, uninstalled and reinstalled launcher and still nothing. Nothing has changed with my system, thought I was out of town when they did Chapter 9, so I'm wondering if it isn't involved with that. My roommate isn't having any problems logging in to WOW, and I've logged into to POTC online just to get into the mood.
No server problems lately, allthough with SWG, if you're using the Beta Launcher, it's not updating chapter 9 properly, you need to use the SWG launchpad.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:47 pm

I considered that, I just couldn't figure out how to use the old launcher with Beta installed. I tried the SWGclient exe file but it crashed right away. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they want me to switch to Burning Sea. Or to another company all together.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 pm

wrackspurt wrote:I considered that, I just couldn't figure out how to use the old launcher with Beta installed. I tried the SWGclient exe file but it crashed right away. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they want me to switch to Burning Sea. Or to another company all together.
Only way I was able to do it was to have my roommate copy over his files to my computer.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 pm

thegreywolfe wrote: Crafting in PoTBS is mainly a means just to make what you need and allow you to purchase what you can't make from someone else. The complicated part of Crafting in Pirates, is not the actual crafting, but the economy and figuring out prices, where to buy and where to sell stuff, that's where it get's interesting and difficult.
So as a Freetrader, I won't be making a living off crafting, but off of buying goods from port to port ala High Seas Trader or the Port Royale game? Do you pay maintenance on buildings, ships, etc.?

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:36 pm

wrackspurt wrote:
thegreywolfe wrote: Crafting in PoTBS is mainly a means just to make what you need and allow you to purchase what you can't make from someone else. The complicated part of Crafting in Pirates, is not the actual crafting, but the economy and figuring out prices, where to buy and where to sell stuff, that's where it get's interesting and difficult.
So as a Freetrader, I won't be making a living off crafting, but off of buying goods from port to port ala High Seas Trader or the Port Royale game? Do you pay maintenance on buildings, ships, etc.?
You will be able to make a living off of crafting, just you'll probably have to move your goods around. It is possible to buy and move goods and make good money though, without building a single structure.

Maintenance must be paid on a per week basis for structures (except warehouses), but can be payed from anywhere.

Ships do not have maintenance, but they do have durability, which decreases every time you are sunk. You can add to the durability using a matching ship deed.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:38 pm

News for those of us allready there, they posted this just a short while ago, so I'm thinking we will definitely be staying on Rackham. I'll be moving my freetrader over there tomorrow.
On Tuesday, April 15th, from 1:30a Pacific Time, there will be a brief, rolling outage in order to enable server transfers for your characters.

When Pirates of the Burning Sea launched on January 22nd, we introduced our customers to 11 new game servers. Through feedback from our players and evaluation of our server populations, it has become clear that key game features require populations of higher density in order to function at optimum levels. When you take into account both the disparity in player time zones and the delayed launch of our title in some countries, we were spreading our overall population too thin. Also, in more recent builds, we were able to improve our server technology to allow for an even larger population than we were originally equipped to handle.

Providing our customers with the best game play experience is our first priority. Condensing our populations will lead to a richer, more vibrant game play experience for all involved, and our customers whole-heartedly agree. The character transfer option will not be available to our Australian customers on the Invincible server.

How is this going to work?

Tomorrow morning, during our usual maintenance period (1:30a Pacific), we will be restarting the servers in order to activate a configuration change. Each server will likely be down for only a half hour. When the servers are back up, you will be able to follow the instructions at this link to move characters from one server to another.

What servers can I transfer to?

Players will be able to transfer their characters to any of the following servers:

• Roberts
• Blackbeard
• Rackham
• Antigua

At the same time that character transfers are activated on Tuesday morning, we will be disabling the creation of new characters on the following servers:

• Bonny
• Guadeloupe
• Kidd
• Morgan
• Bellamy
• Bonnet
• Hornigold

How many transfers do I get?

You can transfer as many characters as you have but each character can only be moved once. We highly recommend you discuss your plans with your society and group mates before moving your characters. You do not have to transfer all of your characters to the same server; however you will still be limited to characters of one nation per server. You can transfer characters to Roberts, Blackbeard, Rackham, or Antigua. You are also welcome to transfer characters between Roberts, Blackbeard Rackham or Antigua, if you like.

What happens when I transfer a character?

When you initiate a transfer, most of your character's data will be transferred to the new server. Information that will be transferred includes approved User Content, purchased User Content, character level, inventory (including economic items, mission rewards, and server victory rewards), money, ships, mission progress, skills and outfitting. They will keep the same structures in the same port. Any items a transferred character has listed in the Auction House will appear in the same port as an expired listing and will need to be re-listed.

There are a few pieces of character information that will not move with a character. Both the Friend and Ignore lists will be empty after the copy. The character will not be in a society on their new server. Personal unrest or contention points the character has earned will be cleared as well. It is important that these specific data points not carry over, in order to make certain that they not disrupt the destination server's data.

Important: On the server the character is being transferred from, the character will be deleted and their auction listings expired. This whole process generally takes a minute or two. You can begin playing your character on your new server as soon as the process reports it has completed.

What happens to my society?

In addition to resetting your friends list, if you are a Society Leader, transferring your character to a new server will reset your Society list as well. In order to assist Society Leaders with the task of keeping track of Society members, we have created the /dumpsocietyinfo command. Society Leaders using this command will create a file containing a list of your Society members titled societyinfo.csv, which can be found in the Pirates of the Burning Sea directory in your My Documents folder.

How long will I have to transfer my characters?

You will have over a month to decide which server you would like to transfer to and activate the transfer. It is important to us that our community is able to discuss the logistics of relocating their characters. We want to allow societies some time to weigh their options and for everyone to evaluate their options in order to find the server that us the best fit. At the end of that transition time, Bonny, Guadeloupe, Kidd, Morgan, Bellamy, Bonnet, and Hornigold will be disabled until such time as there is a need for more servers.

Best,
Aether

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 am

That sounds like a server merg is going on at POTBS. Myself I'm playing EQ2 doing raids and quests.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:03 am

wrackspurt wrote:I considered that, I just couldn't figure out how to use the old launcher with Beta installed. I tried the SWGclient exe file but it crashed right away. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they want me to switch to Burning Sea. Or to another company all together.
This was the solution that worked for me...

HERES THE FIX (AND YOU DONT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BETA LAUNCHER (IT WILL UPDATE LATER ON AND BE USABLE AGAIN))

Star Wars Galaxies
1. Install Launchpad if you don't have it already, http://patch.station.sony.com:7000/...l_LaunchPad.exe
2. Go to your Launchpad folder, C:\Program Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad. Right click on launchpad.exe and choose send to --> desktop.
3. Next, create a folder in C:\Program Files called Star Wars Galaxies
4. Go to your desktop, right click on that icon and choose properties.
5. In the target box, enter this exactly with quotes and all: "C:\Program Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\Launchpad.exe" /game:starwars
6. In the Start in box, put this in, quotes and all: "C:\Program Files\Star Wars Galaxies"
7. Click on Apply, then Close.
8. Double-click the icon and the game will download.

(Stolen from the swg forums)

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Memnoc wrote:That sounds like a server merg is going on at POTBS. Myself I'm playing EQ2 doing raids and quests.
More or less it's a merge, just everyone is being given a choice of where they are moving. I've now got my freetrader from Morgan over on Rackham now, and the place is pretty packed.

Savacc and I spent a while last night with our level 30's trying to pick some pvp fights. We only snagged one though, and the turkey ran from us without doing more than exchanging a few shots with Sav, while I struggled to catch up.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:07 pm

You guys have an recommendations for the melee combat? I've no idea what I'm doing.