Pirates of the Burning Sea

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Pirates of the Burning Sea

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 pm

So is there anyone here other than me that has or will be joining? My roommate kept getting pissy 'cause I wouldn't play swg all weekend. I spent a lot of time playing Pirates and have been having a great time.

The first few levels you learn are ok, and great for learning, but the economy and crafting is very impressive. If any of you are joining let me know and we can guild up for some large ship crafting.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea

Post by Savacc » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 pm

its out? I wanted to try it.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:41 pm

Savacc wrote:its out? I wanted to try it.
The Go Live date is tomorrow, however, anyone that pre-ordered (which you can still do today) started playing two weeks early. If'n I can get enough of my SWG friends over there, I'm going to start a Society (guild) up. Currently I'm playing on the Morgan server as a Brit. If you do the Sony download, they auto attach the keys to your station account.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:47 pm

Well, I pretty much heard that anything but naval combat sucks. But it might be from biased players, I'd like to try it out if they make a trial sometime.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Tyfo wrote:Well, I pretty much heard that anything but naval combat sucks. But it might be from biased players, I'd like to try it out if they make a trial sometime.

Don't listen to the biased folks, they're just haters. The best part is naval combat, seeing as it is original and awesome, but the hand to hand is not half bad either as it's not just button mashing, you actually have to make some decisions on what you are going to do next in combat.

The crafting is awesome, and at the same time a bit on the overwhelming side. You literally cannot do anything larger than a small ship, without getting parts and supplies from other players. It's just not possible.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 pm

thegreywolfe wrote:
Tyfo wrote:Well, I pretty much heard that anything but naval combat sucks. But it might be from biased players, I'd like to try it out if they make a trial sometime.

Don't listen to the biased folks, they're just haters. The best part is naval combat, seeing as it is original and awesome, but the hand to hand is not half bad either as it's not just button mashing, you actually have to make some decisions on what you are going to do next in combat.

The crafting is awesome, and at the same time a bit on the overwhelming side. You literally cannot do anything larger than a small ship, without getting parts and supplies from other players. It's just not possible.
Well, I guess it's not with resources with stats? :p

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Tyfo wrote:
thegreywolfe wrote:

Well, I guess it's not with resources with stats? :p
Lol, no, and I'm actually gratefull for that after seeing how complicated some of the recipes are. Just looking at the amount of work necessary to make a few small ships a day is daunting. It takes all of your lots, you will have to have your structures in multiple ports, 2,159.04 doubloons per sloop, and you can at best, only make roughly 5 per day. And that's one of the smallest ships, that you can start using at level 7 I believe. Trust me, crafting is complicated enough there.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:16 pm

Sounds a bit EVE'ish. Which isn't a bad thing. I just like to run a shop with unique items. :)

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Tyfo wrote:Sounds a bit EVE'ish. Which isn't a bad thing. I just like to run a shop with unique items. :)
No shops in Pirates, instead it's an auction house system. Works fairly well for me. Here is a link to a site that's got a lot on the crafting.

http://www.merchantsoftheburningsea.com/

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Yeah, I know, have looked on crafting on most MMORPG's, but I was just refering to my prefered way of selling items - in my own shop, with unique items.

busymalla
Novice Crafter

Post by busymalla » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:46 pm

I might try it again when I upgrade my PC-it ran a bit laggy for me during beta.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Tyfo wrote:Yeah, I know, have looked on crafting on most MMORPG's, but I was just refering to my prefered way of selling items - in my own shop, with unique items.
It'd be nice, but the system as they have it isn't bad. The only downside is that while you do have structures, you can't actually go into them or decorate anything. Maybe that'll be something for a future feature they can add.
busymalla wrote:I might try it again when I upgrade my PC-it ran a bit laggy for me during beta.
This problem has eased a lot for me since launch. Now there is occasional lag, but that's during server busy times.

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 pm

I found the game somewhat fun but it quickly got old, and I lost interest fairly quickly. Of course that was early beta, so things may have changed a bit. I don't however see myself picking this up any time soon.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:27 am

thegreywolfe wrote:
It'd be nice, but the system as they have it isn't bad. The only downside is that while you do have structures, you can't actually go into them or decorate anything. Maybe that'll be something for a future feature they can add.
I see my ship with a Hello Kitty theme. :lol:

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 pm

Tyfo wrote:
thegreywolfe wrote:
I see my ship with a Hello Kitty theme. :lol:
Good luck with that, it probably won't happen. They are very careful on keeping the flags and sails users submit so that they are appropriate for the time period.

Also, some more on the crafting. While you don't have statted resources to worry about, you do have tons of work to do in structure management. Right now I'm working on being able to make small ships to sell. I've enlisted my roommate to help (offers of ships cheaper than the auction worked nicely for him) and we have structures spread out over 3 ports and almost 2000 miles to get all of the resources we needed. We're harvesting Oak & Iron & Fir in the Yucatan, Hemp at the port where I'm based in Les Hattes in the Guyana region. I'm also doing all of the assembly there as well. After we get that all gathered, I have to process it through my textile mill, forge, weaponsmith and through the shipyard twice for most of the parts I need.

After dealing with putting everything together, I'm kinda glad I don't have to deal with stats too. Also, while that's going on, I have to take my ship to the Yucatan every three days to do harvesting cause that's the cap for labor on a structure. That's a long way to travel through pirate infested waters.