Bioware's New MMO

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: Bioware's New MMO

Post by Monty Burns » Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 am

Memnoc wrote:Has Bioware announced there new mmo yet ??
Nope.
Still top secret with knobs on.

At this rate it will be out for 12 months before they announce it.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:08 pm

The KotOR-MMO was confirmed today for a 09 release. :)

Edra
Novice Crafter

Post by Edra » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Tyfo wrote:The KotOR-MMO was confirmed today for a 09 release. :)
Can you post a link to who confirmed it?

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:26 pm

Tyfo wrote:The KotOR-MMO was confirmed today for a 09 release. :)
I wouldn't get too excited just yet any MMO linked to EA is on shaky ground right from the start as they have a nasty habit of taking these games to Beta and then canning them, so while Bioware have done some nice work in the past I have no more faith in Sony than EA as they at least do not abandon games.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Seeing as Bioware is running their own show, with a VERY strong franchise like KotOR, and in the flavor-of-the-month-genre MMO ... I doubt they'll trash it. :)

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Tyfo wrote:Seeing as Bioware is running their own show, with a VERY strong franchise like KotOR, and in the flavor-of-the-month-genre MMO ... I doubt they'll trash it. :)
Thing is that Bioware are part of EA and as far as not trashing a very strong franchise well I will draw your attention to Ultima Online and the cancelled UO2 and Ultima X online games both in beta that would also have been strong sellers not to mention Wing Commander Online and Privateer online that never got off the ground.

I am sorry EA is not my favourite company.
:)

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 am

Even though Bioware is a part of EA, they've been running their own show ... and frankly, MMORPG's was a niche genre at best, before World of Warcraft.

Feralmonkey
Artisan Forum Moderator

Post by Feralmonkey » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 am

Tyfo wrote:Even though Bioware is a part of EA, they've been running their own show ... and frankly, MMORPG's was a niche genre at best, before World of Warcraft.
I have to agree, there are only so many MMO players out there, and the real seller for KoTOR is the star wars franchise. So the real question is: Can they make a Star Wars MMO to beat SWG, I am certain IF it comes out there will be a mad rush for it, from a lot of SWG-SOE jaded vets... but will it have the appeal to keep them, or will it be another WoW knock-off or a 'linear' RPG?
Kerrimumykamm Former Master Jedi Ahazi
Feralmonkey Former Master Domestics Ahazi

Feralmonkey play tester of Basilisk on the EMU
Feralmonkey Master Rifles but doing the Hologrind on Exile of the EMU

I helped uncover the Stormtubber plot with Eevaa

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:28 pm

What do people think of this blog, I wonder:

http://geekcritique.wordpress.com/2008/ ... -play-out/

I gave it my response.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:24 pm

My personal opinion is that a KOTOR based game without Jedi would be like a Formula One racing game without cars.

The funny thing is that I wouldn't play a game solely based on Jedi because I agree with the sentiments that adding them to SWG was a huge mistake but I can't see KOTOR working without them.

As to whether I play it well that will be determined not by what the game does or is about but what it has to offer that isn't already offered by other online games, I want something different, not just WOW, UO, DAoC or LoTR with lightsabres.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:31 pm

I wonder if it will be sandbox or linear.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:08 pm

Merge EVE with a working and balanced SWG, set it in KotOR timeline. Now, that's a game I would devote my life to.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Tyfo wrote:Merge EVE with a working and balanced SWG, set it in KotOR timeline. Now, that's a game I would devote my life to.
Devote...was you talking in "years" or just a few hours. :lol:

blindxsecrets
Novice Crafter

Post by blindxsecrets » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:00 am

I heard about this the other day while I was in TCG chatroom area. Honestly, I've been playing SWG for a little over a year now (not that long compared to others, but..) and I can't even imagine looking at another game. I hate it when I hear people bash SWG, I know it has it's faults and that the MMO when it first came out was totally different....but I personally like it the way it is for the most part. Though I would have preferred it if they had kept the jedi prof locked and made you go through a series of hoops to unlock it.

Now, KOTOR.....I played both games at least 5 times all the way through for each one. If it's at all like those games, I'd at least try it. Sticking to it is the bigger question. I tried WOW and wasn't really that interested in it, along with a few other MMOs. Having two Star Wars related MMOs out there seems a little odd to me, though I don't know. Most MMOs that I've tried feel exactly the same to me. Like I'm playing the exact same MMO except with a slightly different theme. That's what I love so much about SWG, nearly everything IG is player-made.

I think I probably just don't want players to leave SWG for KOTOR. Lol. If I hear good things about it I'll probably give it a shot, same with Stargate (reaaaallly good shows). But other than that, I have no idea. I think I'll always love SWG and it's crazy crafting system. =)
Akantha (90 Jedi [ls]), Akakla (90 ent [buffing]), Kavindra (legacy medic), Casseve (legacy smuggler), Eossa (90 Domestics [food/clothing]), Anasati (90 Structures [structures/starship]), Cerryn (90 Engineer [droids/mounts]), Sidrona (90 Munitions [armor/weapons])