Bioware's New MMO

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Bioware's New MMO

Post by Tyfo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:23 pm

It's a fact that Bioware is currently developing a MMO. Rumours has that it will be a Star Wars-themed game, but probably without the sand-box, crafting system or player-driven economy, which are, in my humble opinion, the greatest features of SWG.

Would you play it?

http://kotor.mmolab.com/index.php/Main_Page (Blog that reports the news about the game)

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Bioware's New MMO

Post by TradeMaster » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:09 am

I'm in game for the flying and the crafting. If there were another game that could even hold a candle to the crafting in swg, I'd be there.

quantanao
Novice Crafter

Post by quantanao » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 am

I heard of it a long time ago and was hoping that it will have the SWG features. I will probably try it out but it won't hold me for long i guess

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:51 am

I've only read rumors and ppl's hopes that Bioware is doing a KOTOR swg theme mmo. But Bioware has not even said anything at this point.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Tyfo wrote:It's a fact that Bioware is currently developing a MMO. Rumours has that it will be a Star Wars-themed game, but probably without the sand-box, crafting system or player-driven economy, which are, in my humble opinion, the greatest features of SWG.

Would you play it?

http://kotor.mmolab.com/index.php/Main_Page (Blog that reports the news about the game)
Rumors mean nothing, we've heard too many to believe them.

And even if it is a Star Wars themed MMO, unless it's SWG II with all the facets of SWG improved, I'm not much interested.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Memnoc wrote:I've only read rumors and ppl's hopes that Bioware is doing a KOTOR swg theme mmo. But Bioware has not even said anything at this point.
Yeah, it's almost scary how huge the hype has gotten with no real facts to back it up. Painful, really, because I played both KOTORs to death on PC and the X Box, and even churned out some fan fiction I was so obsessed with it. Painful because they're actually getting my hopes up (though I know better), and I fully expect to have my hopes dashed. I would so love to see it though. I am soooooooooo tired of the Imp vs. Rebel thing. In Kotor, we had new planets, new races, everything... in SWG it's the same old thing. I would have even preferred a Clone Wars MMO to An Empire Divided.

They could set it during KOTOR 1, have Sith characters training on Korriban, Jedi on Dantooine, plenty of stuff to do on places like Telos and you possibly even have a Mandalorian for a change. Actually train with and go on missions with them, and have a stake in their future. Also with this you could actually have Jedi Masters and Sith Lords from the games to train you. They could even throw in people from the graphic novels.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:19 am

Tyfo wrote:It's a fact that Bioware is currently developing a MMO. Rumours has that it will be a Star Wars-themed game, but probably without the sand-box, crafting system or player-driven economy, which are, in my humble opinion, the greatest features of SWG.

Would you play it?

Simple answer is no I wouldn't play an MMO without depth, if all I wanted was a shooter I would play TF2 and save the monthly fees.

The only game on the radar for me currently is Stargate Worlds but even that will depend on what the game has to offer.

Vincy
Novice Crafter

Post by Vincy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:14 am

I'd love to see a kotor mmo.

Feralmonkey
Artisan Forum Moderator

Post by Feralmonkey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:49 am

Would you play it?

/tinfoilhat
Kerrimumykamm Former Master Jedi Ahazi
Feralmonkey Former Master Domestics Ahazi

Feralmonkey play tester of Basilisk on the EMU
Feralmonkey Master Rifles but doing the Hologrind on Exile of the EMU

I helped uncover the Stormtubber plot with Eevaa

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
The only game on the radar for me currently is Stargate Worlds but even that will depend on what the game has to offer.

Interestingly, they're saying that Stargate will have an advanced crafting system. I've never even seen the show, but I think I'll be giving it a try.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:10 pm

wrackspurt wrote:
Memnoc wrote:I've only read rumors and ppl's hopes that Bioware is doing a KOTOR swg theme mmo. But Bioware has not even said anything at this point.
Yeah, it's almost scary how huge the hype has gotten with no real facts to back it up. Painful, really, because I played both KOTORs to death on PC and the X Box, and even churned out some fan fiction I was so obsessed with it. Painful because they're actually getting my hopes up (though I know better), and I fully expect to have my hopes dashed. I would so love to see it though.
For what it's worth, I was at Star Wars Celebration IV in Los Angeles for a day, and I talked to some of the LucasArts people there, who were advertising the Force Unleashed (before they pushed it back, and back, and back). I asked one of them if there were plans for another KOTOR, and he said something to the effect of certainly there had been discussions as the setting was so popular and it had made them so much money, but there was "nothing they were talking about yet." I take that to mean that something is in the works. Maybe it's this mysterious BioWare project, maybe it's something entirely different. Like you all I can do is hope.
/Ibaum

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 am

The thing that really doesn't inspire me about the "secret" MMO from Bioware/LA is that it is still secret.

For a game that must have been in development almost 3 years to have absolutely no publicity concerns me I have the same concerns about Stargate Worlds which is due on the shelves late this year and still doesn't have an official site.

If you look at these companies and see how open they have been in the past about their developments and software why would you keep an MMO which relies on repeat custom a huge secret.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Monty Burns wrote: If you look at these companies and see how open they have been in the past about their developments and software why would you keep an MMO which relies on repeat custom a huge secret.
Yeah, I wonder about that too. They've been building the hype around Age of Conan for how long now? I've been hearing about everyday from my people who do WOW. They must have a PR team to rival Britney's. And if Bioware is not making a Star Wars MMO, which they're probably not, why don't they just squelch the rumors once and for all?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 pm

wrackspurt wrote:
Monty Burns wrote: If you look at these companies and see how open they have been in the past about their developments and software why would you keep an MMO which relies on repeat custom a huge secret.
Yeah, I wonder about that too. They've been building the hype around Age of Conan for how long now? I've been hearing about everyday from my people who do WOW. They must have a PR team to rival Britney's. And if Bioware is not making a Star Wars MMO, which they're probably not, why don't they just squelch the rumors once and for all?

As I recall the original release date for Age of Conan was the first half of 2006 so it is starting to drag on a bit.

As far as the Bioware project its taken so long to be announced that I am not sure anyone will care, didn't it start back in 2006 as well?

Another interesting thing is that with Bioware coming under EA's wing in January I am not sure there will be any confidence in an MMO from them especially given EA's track record of shutting down its MMO development.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Thu May 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Has Bioware announced there new mmo yet ??