A few Questions please?!?

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Oceans
Novice Crafter

A few Questions please?!?

Post by Oceans » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:09 pm

EVGA GeForce GTX460 1024 MB DDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Hello. I was wondering if any tech savvy people could answer a few questions I have please? I am trying to upgrade my video card and RAM. Currently have 4GB of RAM, upgradeable to 8GB. Is it ok to add 2 sticks of 4GB, or should I add 4 sticks of 2GB? The RAM is DDR2.
That leads me to the next question. Is it possible to upgrade RAM from DDR2 from factory to say DDR3 or DDR5? Or, do I have to stick with DDR2 at 8GB?I know 8GB is as high as I can go, just wondering if it has to be DDR2?
Now onto my final question. The video card I am buying is listed above. GTX 460 1024 MB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0. My PCI slots are PCI-e 2.0, so shouldn't be any problem there. Just wondering if DDR2 RAM will work with this video card listed at DDR5? Do I have to have DDR5 RAM to make this card work right? Or, will this just mean the card will not be as effective running my DDR2 RAM instead of DDR5, but still work?

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any answers or comments back please. Thank you!

Oceans

Darev
Novice Crafter

Re: A few Questions please?!?

Post by Darev » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Oceans wrote:EVGA GeForce GTX460 1024 MB DDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Hello. I was wondering if any tech savvy people could answer a few questions I have please? I am trying to upgrade my video card and RAM. Currently have 4GB of RAM, upgradeable to 8GB. Is it ok to add 2 sticks of 4GB, or should I add 4 sticks of 2GB? The RAM is DDR2.

This depends 100% on your computer's motherboard. There are restrictions in place for system boards regarding the addition of memory. For example, the computer I recently built has 6 slots for DDR3 memory. I used 3 slots. At first I tried putting the memory in slots 1/3/5 and it didn't work. I read the manual and found out that the memory needed to go into slots 2/4/6. If I want to add 2 more sticks, they have to go in slots 3/5 and only 3/5. So that's something you'll need to find out from the manual for your computer's system board, or from whoever made your computer.

That leads me to the next question. Is it possible to upgrade RAM from DDR2 from factory to say DDR3 or DDR5? Or, do I have to stick with DDR2 at 8GB?I know 8GB is as high as I can go, just wondering if it has to be DDR2?

No. Your system board will most likely only work with DDR2. There are a few very rare system boards that take both, but as I'm guessing you didn't build your computer in the first place, you probably don't have one of those motherboards in your computer.

Now onto my final question. The video card I am buying is listed above. GTX 460 1024 MB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0. My PCI slots are PCI-e 2.0, so shouldn't be any problem there. Just wondering if DDR2 RAM will work with this video card listed at DDR5? Do I have to have DDR5 RAM to make this card work right? Or, will this just mean the card will not be as effective running my DDR2 RAM instead of DDR5, but still work?

The system ram that goes on your motherboard can be a different type than the video card ram. They most often are. That won't be a problem

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any answers or comments back please. Thank you!

Oceans

Oceans
Novice Crafter

Re: A few Questions please?!?

Post by Oceans » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 am

Thank you very much Darev! You answered my questions completely! I really appreciate it!
Time to upgrade my Video card and memory :D, although I can only go DDR2 memory :(