Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Started a new thread not to derail http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... 689#p12689 too far off.
Savacc wrote:Speaking of words, when "produce" is used as a noun, it generally (but not always :wink: ) refers to agricultural products: fruits and vegetables. Famers produce produce, manufactures produce products. So in your second bullet, Z, I would have changed it from "Sinse it already is so easy to cap our produce" to "cap our products".
Great, I love that you dare tell me when my English can be improved. Something new, produce vs. product, good. I sometimes use the words goods, is that also ambiguous or improper?

/Zim

User avatar
Sac
Novice Crafter
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Sac » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:15 am

Zimoon wrote:Started a new thread not to derail http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... 689#p12689 too far off.
Savacc wrote:Speaking of words, when "produce" is used as a noun, it generally (but not always :wink: ) refers to agricultural products: fruits and vegetables. Famers produce produce, manufactures produce products. So in your second bullet, Z, I would have changed it from "Sinse it already is so easy to cap our produce" to "cap our products".
Great, I love that you dare tell me when my English can be improved. Something new, produce vs. product, good. I sometimes use the words goods, is that also ambiguous or improper?

/Zim
I'd get him to spell "since" correctly first (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt of "Famers" being just a typo) .... 8)

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Tech Twin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 pm

hehe, you guys crack me up.

Z, "goods" is acceptable. In U.S. economics the phrase "goods and services" is often used to describe all business activity types.

:)
Image

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

User avatar
Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator
Posts: 1210
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Savacc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 am

Sac wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Started a new thread not to derail http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... 689#p12689 too far off.
Savacc wrote:Speaking of words, when "produce" is used as a noun, it generally (but not always :wink: ) refers to agricultural products: fruits and vegetables. Famers produce produce, manufactures produce products. So in your second bullet, Z, I would have changed it from "Sinse it already is so easy to cap our produce" to "cap our products".
Great, I love that you dare tell me when my English can be improved. Something new, produce vs. product, good. I sometimes use the words goods, is that also ambiguous or improper?

/Zim
I'd get him to spell "since" correctly first (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt of "Famers" being just a typo) .... 8)
Part of my not being able to play SWG for the summer involves me not being at my own computer and not having a spell checker on the browser I am using at the moment. I thought I had corrected the spelling of "since", "famers" I just totally missed. :oops:

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:17 am

LOL, farmers are now also famous :mrgreen:

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 am

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by redwhitenblue » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Lol you guys are so funny! I'm always very picky about my spelling and grammar, I can't send a tell or say something in group without making sure everything's correct. If I see something wrong in a post I'll immediately go edit it lol. I think part of the reason is that I live in Hawaii and grammar here is just atrocious, they intentionally use bad English and call it 'pidgeon'.
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:14 am

redwhitenblue wrote:Lol you guys are so funny! I'm always very picky about my spelling and grammar, I can't send a tell or say something in group without making sure everything's correct. If I see something wrong in a post I'll immediately go edit it lol. I think part of the reason is that I live in Hawaii and grammar here is just atrocious, they intentionally use bad English and call it 'pidgeon'.
And I live in Sweden and we sometimes call it Swenglish 8)

But that rather stems from the fact that so many words are quite the same in English and Swedish (except for pronunciation) that we "try" a Swedish word with some kind of English pronunciation. And when that doesn't work out as expected we have Swenglish. A true example, sensitive people stop reading here:

A businessman took a foreign diplomat couple out for a sailing trip. When he had to pander to the stove for a minute he asked the wife of the pair to take the wheel, with the following words: "Please take the wheel for a while, just keep to the right of the red pricks." Need I say the wife's face changed color a nuance or two ;)

The "explanation" is that in Swedish the slang for some navigation marks is "prick", not so in English though 8)

/Zimoon

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Planet Terra, Germany, Black Forrest
Contact:

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Kirneh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:16 pm

lol... that's just similar to what Germany's former chancellor Helmut Kohl did.
During a state visit of former US president Ronald Reagan, Kohl said to him "you can say you to me".

In Germany we differ between the formal adress of someone we don't know by using "Sie" (3rd person plural) and someone we are familiar to, where we use "Du" (second person singular). As this difference is not existent in english (you can be used as Sie and as Du), he meant the right thing, but what he said was just silly.

That happens by using other languages without knowledge about.
:-)
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

User avatar
Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator
Posts: 1210
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Savacc » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:42 am

Wow, I get to be the grammar police in German too? :shock:
"Sie" is a third person singular and plural and second person singular and plural pronoun in German. It is as a second person pronoun that "Sie" is used in formal speach and "Du" in informal.

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Tech Twin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:22 am

lol... too funny.
Image

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Sobuno » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:01 am

/me considers writing something in Danish to find out just how many languages Savacc knows :P

User avatar
Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Tyfo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Sobuno wrote:/me considers writing something in Danish to find out just how many languages Savacc knows :P
*cough* the internet is great for information. I'll take Spanish and Japanese!

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 pm

/mutters about derailing

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: Planet Terra, Germany, Black Forrest
Contact:

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by Kirneh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:50 am

Sav, you pwnd me. :oops:
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:39 am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Savacc is improving Zimoon's English

Post by fridge33sam » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:52 am

Kirneh wrote:lol... that's just similar to what Germany's former chancellor Helmut Kohl did.
During a state visit of former US president Ronald Reagan, Kohl said to him "you can say you to me".

In Germany we differ between the formal adress of someone we don't know by using "Sie" (3rd person plural) and someone we are familiar to, where we use "Du" (second person singular). As this difference is not existent in english (you can be used as Sie and as Du), he meant the right thing, but what he said was just silly.

That happens by using other languages without knowledge about.
:-)
As did President Kennedy make a mistake when he said, "Ich bin ein Berliner." He was trying to say that he was/could be considered a person from Berlin, but instead he called himself a 'type of donut'. :oops:
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests