EMU/NGE VS CLASSIC

A board for general discussion of the various SWG Emulators

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

EMU/NGE VS CLASSIC

Post by Memnoc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey I was told that the emu now has a NGE server and its almost complete. How complete is the NGE with the SOE updates. During the remaining months SOE had updated the NGE with alot of new items and player homes. And the classic swg should be complete I hope by the end of 2012.

crucius
Novice Crafter

Re: EMU/NGE VS CLASSIC

Post by crucius » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Keep hoping ....

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 pm

The ProjectSWG version of the NGE emulator has quite a ways to go--they are aiming for the game's functions at that time of shut-down. They aren't even in alpha yet. I don't know if there are any other NGE variants out there though.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

ziso
Novice Crafter

Post by ziso » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 am

Only 2 i am aware of is swgemu which is live now but its as it was before CU and projectswg which will continue as the game was on 15th Dec 2011.
Ive tried getting into swgemu but after playing SWG from 2004-2011 non stop i much prefer the game as i left it so ill wait for projectswg and just cant get into swgemu.
Cant wait for projectswg though as the lack of social/housing and decent crafting in tor is killing me but i think it will be a long wait for projectswg

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Has anyone heard the rumors of a new starwars mmo from LA

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Lucus Arts would never publish their own MMO. LA is the company that oversees the entire Star Wars brand and all of its products and licenses.

ziso
Novice Crafter

Post by ziso » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Memnoc wrote:Has anyone heard the rumors of a new starwars mmo from LA
very early news but found this:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/e ... -announced

Zantox
Novice Crafter

Post by Zantox » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:16 am

Sorry to butt in here... but a few things:
  • 1. The "New LucasArts MMO" is Star Wars 1313, is now rumored to be about a bounty hunters missions and such, it is NOT an MMO tho.

2. As an update to ProjectSWG's status, You can find Important Community and Development Updates here. As far as progress for the project, there has not been many releases besides Research Updates (The Research team, looks into possibilities of future items and content, as well as more into understanding the game). Researchers have found various new species, planets, creatures, NPC's, etc. All Research Updates can be found here. I must however emphasize that, There is no set release date for this project, the last goal was to be December 31st 2012, but its very rough. Please understand that with a Volunteer project such as PSWG, based on real life's of people, there can be no estimated completion date.
Thanks!

Bessie-Lu
Novice Crafter

Post by Bessie-Lu » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:25 pm

That's nice to hear about the NGE project.

The SWGEmu project is in alpha. I will not say "still in alpha" because they did a complete rewrite/restructure of the code not long ago. Alpha means they are implementing the features available Pre-CU. This means they occassionally need to do server wipes. So players/testers need to be understanding about that. Don't get too attached to your character or their things.

There are two servers, Basilisk (stable code, wipe less often), and Nova TestCenter (new code, patches, and wiped more often). Both have some stablitliy issues. The servers availablity is high, but there are periods of time when one will be offline by design or from a software crash.

I have not read about the NGE project before, but my advice to be patient. If it goes anything like SWGEmu, then it might take several years of volunteer efforts to redesign the underlying world of SWG. Emu has been in the works since 2005 or 2006. I only say this because I remember three years ago reading in SWGEmu forums how players thought the game would be in beta real soon and the Suncrusher server would be accepting logins by 2010. Suncrusher is the server that will be home to the finished product.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:44 pm

WHAT !!!! They need to hurry the hell up and finish the swgemu :evil:

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Memnoc wrote:WHAT !!!! They need to hurry the hell up and finish the swgemu :evil:
It is actually very playable right now. Some important things are still missing: Space, but we played over a year before JTL was added, so it feeds my nostalgia to play only the ground game now. What I really miss are droids and pets, DE and CH.

Goll
Novice Crafter

Post by Goll » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Savacc wrote:
Memnoc wrote:WHAT !!!! They need to hurry the hell up and finish the swgemu :evil:
It is actually very playable right now. Some important things are still missing: Space, but we played over a year before JTL was added, so it feeds my nostalgia to play only the ground game now. What I really miss are droids and pets, DE and CH.
I had to chip in here to agree. I'm in awe at how much work has been done since i last checked the emu out, it's playable now! Docs are buffing, ents are mind buffing and curing battle fatigue, people are shouting in Coronet selling their wares (droids are not active as they don't have the AI implemented as of yet, same as CH pets), you can grind up, pick and choose your template, just like the old days. Well worth a look if you miss the old style game, or even if you miss SWG at all. The monster is still the same, just different paths to get where you want to go.
Space Moves and Funk Grooves

Rain
Novice Crafter

Post by Rain » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm just glad some people cared enough to bring SWG back to those of us who enjoyed it. They are asking for more programmers to jump in and help and I wish that was one of my talents but.....

I was so mad that LA refused to renew SOE's license for SWG and that was LA's 3rd strike. The CU, NGE and then the license issue was not good business sense.

I did not want to try TOR but I did and it turned out to be exactly what I expected it to be.....blah

Anyway, I am glad we have SWG and best of all it's pre-cu!

Sorry for the rambling.....need more coffee. lol

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Ramble on :wink:

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Savacc wrote:Ramble on :wink:
I ramble I'm getting old :mrgreen: . When I finish my build I'll give swgemu a try. SW:TOR now belong to EA's control now that Biowareis jumping ship.