Harvester Monitoring - bug?

Moderator: Forum Moderator

UrBob
Novice Crafter

Harvester Monitoring - bug?

Post by UrBob » Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Now that I have been unable to get on to SWG for a week, my harvesters are starting to run out of power and maintenance, and the hoppers are full.
Funny thing is, SWGAide says that I have more resources in the hoppers then they can hold, and even though power has run out on two of them, they are all still adding resources. (I have sometimes found that the actual harvesters don't seem to notice they have run out of power until I look at them).
Is this a case of WAD, or an oversight?
Note for non-developers: WAD=Working As Designed. This does not neccessarily mean working the way it should work

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Harvester Monitoring - bug?

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 09, 2011 2:17 pm

It is rather a known limitation.

Of course it should be fixed, it is just buried under higher-prio things ... in due time it will be fixed. After all, it is just yet another conditional, units < max ? units : max; is it not?

The power thing you mention, is that repeatable? Or does it just happen every now and then?

Updating power is done at a background thread, perhaps the one GUI thread is occupied and because user initiated GUI tasks supersede that task you happen to trigger it before it is auto-run. Could that be it? With more feedback I can walk over the code again but I have not noticed this over at my place, though I usually run within Eclipse which is not 100% the same thing.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Next version of SWGAide will not display over-sized values anymore, neither will it add too much to inventory upon "refresh" or "deactivate".

Now waiting for feedback on the power thing.

Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon May 09, 2011 5:45 pm

UrBob wrote:Now that I have been unable to get on to SWG for a week, my harvesters are starting to run out of power and maintenance, and the hoppers are full.
If this shutdown acts like all other shutdowns, the above statement is not true. When the servers are shutdown, your harvesters do not run, they do not use power or maintenance and the hoppers will not fill. Factories and houses, same thing.

Because this is not a normal shutdown, it has nothing to do with SWG, it is an SOE issue, there is speculation that SWG will take advantage of the situation and "run" the servers for testing and adjustments. So we might see some time run off in the game world while we were unable to log on, but it wouldn't be a lot.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Savacc wrote:
UrBob wrote:Now that I have been unable to get on to SWG for a week, my harvesters are starting to run out of power and maintenance, and the hoppers are full.
If this shutdown acts like all other shutdowns, the above statement is not true. When the servers are shutdown, your harvesters do not run, they do not use power or maintenance and the hoppers will not fill. Factories and houses, same thing.

Because this is not a normal shutdown, it has nothing to do with SWG, it is an SOE issue, there is speculation that SWG will take advantage of the situation and "run" the servers for testing and adjustments. So we might see some time run off in the game world while we were unable to log on, but it wouldn't be a lot.
His main concern is that his harvesters in SWGAide run out of maint and power, and their their hoppers are full --- you are correct though, the harvesters in SWG are hopefully in a frozen state, just the SWGAide models of them are incorrect. However, I refuse to add something that panders for such a thing that the game is unavailable 8)

UrBob
Novice Crafter

Post by UrBob » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Zimoon wrote:.... However, I refuse to add something that panders for such a thing that the game is unavailable 8)
Good Call! :D
Zimoon wrote:It is rather a known limitation.

Of course it should be fixed, it is just buried under higher-prio things ... in due time it will be fixed. After all, it is just yet another conditional, units < max ? units : max; is it not?

The power thing you mention, is that repeatable? Or does it just happen every now and then?

Updating power is done at a background thread, perhaps the one GUI thread is occupied and because user initiated GUI tasks supersede that task you happen to trigger it before it is auto-run. Could that be it? With more feedback I can walk over the code again but I have not noticed this over at my place, though I usually run within Eclipse which is not 100% the same thing.
Did you mean in SWGAide or Galaxies?
Yes, it does the same every time I look at SWGAide.
I sometimes notice that when a harvester is out of power and I look at the hopper it is still adding to the content. I haven't looked too closely at what causes it to stop adding to the hopper, but attempting to change the resource or shutdown and restart the harvester both correctly identify the lack of power.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Aah, now I get it .. will look into that. Thanks.