SWGAide isn't starting anymore

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Zarrak Galactic
Novice Crafter

SWGAide isn't starting anymore

Post by Zarrak Galactic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Same problem here. I haven't changed anything but a few days ago, it suddenly was taking a long time to load. Today, it won't load at all. Win XP, only one copy, all defaults, etc.

Error Log:

[Thu Oct 07 09:01:22 PDT 2010 | version 0.8.15 == EXCEPTION == Caught in main: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at swg.gui.SWGFrame.editMenuAdd(SWGFrame.java:458)
at swg.gui.tree.SWGStationNode.focusGained(SWGStationNode.java:146)
at swg.gui.SWGMainTab.focusChanged(SWGMainTab.java:158)
at swg.gui.SWGMainTab$3.stateChanged(SWGMainTab.java:131)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane$ModelListener.stateChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.insertTab(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.addTab(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.add(Unknown Source)
at swg.gui.SWGFrame.populateTabPane(SWGFrame.java:1431)
at swg.gui.SWGFrame.initTabPane(SWGFrame.java:1076)
at swg.gui.SWGFrame.delayedConstructor(SWGFrame.java:405)
at swg.SWGAide.main(SWGAide.java:179)
[Thu Oct 07 09:05:23 PDT 2010 | version 0.8.15 == EXCEPTION == Caught in main: null
[Thu Oct 07 10:35:53 PDT 2010 | version 0.8.15 == EXCEPTION == Caught in main: null

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide isn't starting anymore

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:41 pm

I have a theory ... is it so that you have deleted a notes file from the SWG file system?

Indeed this is a bug but they only way it can happen if that you have deleted a notes file and this particular file had focus (was selected) when you closed SWGAide. It took me quite some time realize that this was even possible but... 8)

If you have deleted files recently, restore them, even if they were empty. This is done in Windows' Trash bin,
... or if you remember what the file was named, create a new file with this name.

If you rather renamed a notes file, not deleted it, rename it back again.

I am about to release a new version of SWGAide within a week so restoring the notes file is the quickest solution for you.

Zimoon

Zarrak Galactic
Novice Crafter

Post by Zarrak Galactic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Zimoon wrote:I have a theory ... is it so that you have deleted a notes file from the SWG file system?

Indeed this is a bug but they only way it can happen if that you have deleted a notes file and this particular file had focus (was selected) when you closed SWGAide. It took me quite some time realize that this was even possible but... 8)

If you have deleted files recently, restore them, even if they were empty. This is done in Windows' Trash bin,
... or if you remember what the file was named, create a new file with this name.

If you rather renamed a notes file, not deleted it, rename it back again.

I am about to release a new version of SWGAide within a week so restoring the notes file is the quickest solution for you.

Zimoon
Checked everything but no related files had been deleted and even restored unrelated files, but that's not the solution. What I *did* do a couple of days ago tho was hide a couple of old accounts I don't use now. I'm willing to bet that's what it was. Is there any way to undo that?

Oh I also tried a reinstall but that didn't work either.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:17 pm

When you say "reinstall" what do you mean by that?
If you delete the DAT file (which makes you loose all inventory and everything else) SWGAide will probably find a backup file and try that one.

What you can do is to move away the DAT file, have a look at the backup files and pick one that is slightly older than when you hide the stations, copy it in the place of the removed DAT file and edits its name to SWGAide.DAT.

If that older copy does not have a reference to the "lost" station SWGAide will launch just fine. Let me know how it works, please.

Zimoon

Zarrak Galactic
Novice Crafter

Post by Zarrak Galactic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Zimoon wrote:When you say "reinstall" what do you mean by that?
If you delete the DAT file (which makes you loose all inventory and everything else) SWGAide will probably find a backup file and try that one.

What you can do is to move away the DAT file, have a look at the backup files and pick one that is slightly older than when you hide the stations, copy it in the place of the removed DAT file and edits its name to SWGAide.DAT.

If that older copy does not have a reference to the "lost" station SWGAide will launch just fine. Let me know how it works, please.

Zimoon
Moved the current DAT file out of the directory. SWGAide said it found SWGAide.BAK and did I want to exit, so said no, thinking that was the file it would reconstruct. Nothing happened so I grabbed an old DAT file from April (I've been away) and it loaded!

Tried the current DAT file and it wouldn't load. This makes me think it has something to do with the hidden accounts. Is there a way to fix that?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Next version of SWGAide will fix that, yes, a week or less.

But there should be more recent backup files, or haven't you used it since April? If you have not then you can continue using that DAT file as you have not added anything to it meanwhile 8)

But ... if your question rather is "can I hide the stations once again?" ... then the answer is "yes!!!" ... but see to it that you select a node in the tree if galaxies, stations and characters that is not hidden, for example your main character, then it is no problems.

This error happened because you obviously did hide some nodes and you did not select something at that panel but exited SWGAide. Even if you happened to browse resources or schematics you did not select something sensible before exit. This is of course a bug in SWGAide, I just try to explain why it happened, it is so rare that this is the first time anyone reports it :)

Zarrak Galactic
Novice Crafter

Post by Zarrak Galactic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Zimoon wrote:Next version of SWGAide will fix that, yes, a week or less.

But there should be more recent backup files, or haven't you used it since April? If you have not then you can continue using that DAT file as you have not added anything to it meanwhile 8)

But ... if your question rather is "can I hide the stations once again?" ... then the answer is "yes!!!" ... but see to it that you select a node in the tree if galaxies, stations and characters that is not hidden, for example your main character, then it is no problems.

This error happened because you obviously did hide some nodes and you did not select something at that panel but exited SWGAide. Even if you happened to browse resources or schematics you did not select something sensible before exit. This is of course a bug in SWGAide, I just try to explain why it happened, it is so rare that this is the first time anyone reports it :)
Yes, I'm sure that's what I did. I probably hid the nodes, went back to resources, then just didn't go back to the main files.

I did find a file in the backups that I can probably live with if I do a little catching up. I won't hide the nodes again tho until I know for sure it can be done without that happening again! hehe

Thanks so much for the help and the quick responses. Much appreciated!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:26 pm

I have an idea on how to provide bug fixes the faster for those that are somewhat computer savvy ... at least computer-illiterate ... would you mind test that? If so I will provide a file later tonight (my time zone) so that you can use the DAT file you want to use.

Essentially it is as follows:
-- I hand you a Java CLASS file
-- you open SWGAide.jar with for example WinZip ... that is, you do not double click it but open it is if a zip-file
-- you find the "folder" I tell you
-- you replace the old class file with the new ... done