Why am I getting this problem all of a sudden?

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Why am I getting this problem all of a sudden?

Post by Monty Burns » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:23 pm

SWGAide is seemingly having issues with my mail or SWGCraft.

When I try and do an update I get the following messages...

First off when I go to the ISDroid option the following appears at the bottom left of the screen...

Then after a minute I get this...

I am not really enthusiastic about using an "older" cached version in case it screws something up majorly so any suggestion on what I need to do to fix this issue?

Essentially it seems SWGAide is not connecting to SWGCraft as neither computer has updated their resource list in two days yet I can connect here on both comps without issue, when I check my account details in SWGAide it confirms they are correct so I assume it is connecting to the site at that stage.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Why am I getting this problem all of a sudden?

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:09 am

I noticed this the other day and had planned to look into it today, before next update. I have a suspicion I have changed something in threading which makes this safety-belt a bit vulnerable. I also suspect this happened while a new download already had started and it is then blocking the request for a set of resources from the resource manager. Whatever, this ain't looking good, but it is not as bad as it looks like. Go visit another characters mailbox and ISDroids, then back again and you should be fine ... usually called workaround. A big company in the M$ industry would prolly name it "feature" 8)

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 am

Zimoon wrote:I noticed this the other day and had planned to look into it today, before next update. I have a suspicion I have changed something in threading which makes this safety-belt a bit vulnerable. I also suspect this happened while a new download already had started and it is then blocking the request for a set of resources from the resource manager. Whatever, this ain't looking good, but it is not as bad as it looks like. Go visit another characters mailbox and ISDroids, then back again and you should be fine ... usually called workaround. A big company in the M$ industry would prolly name it "feature" 8)

/Zimoon
I am less likely to call it a feature since the work around has not worked either.
I have now sent out 5 sets of droids and wasted the lot which is starting to get a fraction frustrating.

I have tried the work around on both comps and I still cant get the resource list to update and still get the error on both.

Will deleting it and reinstalling cure the issue?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:33 am

You could upload the ISD reports directly to SWGCraft instead of considering them wasted. Granted, our interface might not be the best, but still better than nothing.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Hmm, so you see this consistently?
I noticed it once, a few days ago but and before that it was months past.
The "previous download" will be 30 to 60 minutes old so I wouldn't bother. But you can check the "age" at the Current Resources page, the lower right corner.
Bit I will sure look into it, absolutely...

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I have read through the code for this back and forth a few times now and cannot see anything wrong. I moved around some stuff to dodge possible thread deadlocks (when two tasks compete about the same resource but both hold on to something the other needs), but I don't think is the case anyway. Another wild idea I had is if the value if the status file is cached in Windows file memory somehow --- I mean, sometimes "helpful" features are not helpful, if they remember stuff that is changed behind their back in another thread. Sometimes you get surprised, indeed :roll:

So, to kind of get a lead the next time it happens I have added logging at some points, so with next update you'd see some stuff in the log file (or both files).

Worth asking, is there some relevant message in the two log files now? The other day when I noticed there was not, but...
Another question, have you done any changes to your computers the recent days? Updated something? Installed new anti-virus applications? Anything else?
Does SWGAide seem to work fine in any other way? Updating current resources from SWGCraft every half an hour? Etc?

So, in short:
No, there is no need to reinstall, that does not change anything.
If the current resources read that they are fresh or at least decently fresh, there should be no harm in using whatever download is available.
Even if the most recent download is one, two, three hours it is unlikely that fresh ISDroid reports will cause any harm. You could perhaps try to submit something as new that somebody submitted an hour ago, but that is no harm. As long as the reports are fresh you are fine, if the reports are old then there are some possible issues, specifically for resources included in the reports but that are meanwhile marked depleted by somebody.

Let's see what the improved logging will tell us :mrgreen:

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Zimoon wrote: Worth asking, is there some relevant message in the two log files now?
There is nothing in the log file.
Another question, have you done any changes to your computers the recent days? Updated something? Installed new anti-virus applications? Anything else?
Nothing new on either computer, each computer also uses a different virus checker, Operating System and Components (they are specifically built to be different).
Does SWGAide seem to work fine in any other way? Updating current resources from SWGCraft every half an hour? Etc?
SWGAide does not seem to work at all, the only noticeable working feature is the mail section, it does not update current resources and as I indicated in the first post it hasn't for 3 days now.

In short SWGAide is essentially dead on both my computers.

So, in short:
No, there is no need to reinstall, that does not change anything.
If the current resources read that they are fresh or at least decently fresh, there should be no harm in using whatever download is available.
Even if the most recent download is one, two, three hours it is unlikely that fresh ISDroid reports will cause any harm. You could perhaps try to submit something as new that somebody submitted an hour ago, but that is no harm. As long as the reports are fresh you are fine, if the reports are old then there are some possible issues, specifically for resources included in the reports but that are meanwhile marked depleted by somebody.
When I look at the "last updated list" it is everything on the server from 1 day to 23 days so I am not going to redo the entire server on a daily basis especially when I have no idea whether it will even upload, at this point I will just stop doing uploads until it is fixed.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 am

Monty Burns wrote:... at this point I will just stop doing uploads until it is fixed.[/color]
At this point everything has changed from a temporary error, a dialog that is expected during certain but rate circumstances, to "nothing works".

At the same time I have nothing to go on.

Kind of a hard place to be at, between a rock and cliff 8)

Not been working for 3 days, but age of resources is 1 day and older. Contradictory, or I guess I am reading something wrong here, am I? But I also asked, what does the time stamp read at the bottom right of the current resources page? Something like "444 resources (10:45) from SWGCraft.org".

No changes to the computer. And there have been no updates to SWGAide since May 25. Any changes you have made to SWGAide then? Removed something? Changed some setting or option?

I do hope you hear that I am asking or feedback? So you do not mistake it for sarcasms or jokes. I am not, even if I use a smiley or two I am listening, and trying to get hold of what can cause this.

You could try mail me your DAT file, but that is a longshot and if there is nothing in any of the two logs I doubt there is something I can pinpoint in the DAT file.

And would you mind elaborate on what you mean with "SWGAide is essentially dead":
Does the resource time stamp not change every 30 minutes?
Does not the harvesting page work?
Are guards broken so those that should alert do not?
Are monitors broken so they do not alert for depleted resources?
Does not the schematics pages work?
And more?

I just ask for a small bone to chew at to pinpoint any kind of reason for what you are reporting. A very small bone.

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:02 am

Zimoon wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:... at this point I will just stop doing uploads until it is fixed.[/color]
At this point everything has changed from a temporary error, a dialog that is expected during certain but rate circumstances, to "nothing works".
Not sure where I said it was a temporary error it began 2 days ago and all upload and download capacities have been non-functional since then.
Not been working for 3 days, but age of resources is 1 day and older. Contradictory, or I guess I am reading something wrong here, am I? But I also asked, what does the time stamp read at the bottom right of the current resources page? Something like "444 resources (10:45) from SWGCraft.org".
No changes to the computer. And there have been no updates to SWGAide since May 25. Any changes you have made to SWGAide then? Removed something? Changed some setting or option?
Nothing at all.
And would you mind elaborate on what you mean with "SWGAide is essentially dead":
I only use SWGAide for submitting data and checking resources against guards, as none of these functions are currently working SWGAide is effectively dead for me.
Does the resource time stamp not change every 30 minutes?
Nope.
Does not the harvesting page work?
No idea.
Are guards broken so those that should alert do not?
Are monitors broken so they do not alert for depleted resources?
As SWGAide hasnt updated its resource list I have no idea whether these functions are working or not.
Does not the schematics pages work?
And more?

I just ask for a small bone to chew at to pinpoint any kind of reason for what you are reporting. A very small bone.

/Zimoon
No idea I don't use it.

I have no idea what the problem is all I can tell you is that 3-4 days ago it worked fine and then it stopped.
I have wondered about my router but I cant see why it would connect to SWGcraft via the browser and let me verify my login and password via SWGAide yet not download or upload data.

Not sure if this is any use or not but I reinstalled it on one PC and it updated the resource list on installation but hasn't since and the same problem still exists with uploading data.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:38 am

OK, I never meant to be coy, but the first report was about a dialog that usually is temporary. Nevertheless I have added some logging around it to see if that changes anything.
I reinstalled it on one PC
Did you select a main galaxy and enabled auto-update at the menu Options => SWGCraft... dialog?

I realize that the time-stamp I asked for is incomplete for this topic as it just tells the time, not the date. I guess you took the screen-shot at around 18.00 your local time, right? If so, then the download worked up until that point. If you took the screen-shot later than 18:20 and if you did not enable auto-update it can still be OK, then this page just update itself (requests another download) if you visit another galaxy and then back to Sunrunner. Otherwise, if you have enabled auto-update for SS something is weird. I wouldn't say broken, not after one user's report and it works for so many others.

In your folder for SWGAide, would you mind check which files that exist and their time-stamps in the "temp" folder, in particular the two files swgcraft-sunrunner-status.txt and swgcraft-sunrunner-current.xml. You can also post the content of the status file, please.

Next, browsing http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/view_change ... ode=recent (Sunrunner) I see that the only activity there is submissions two days ago by jcbjjk and 17 hours ago a bunch of depletes by Oar, so really, there ain't much news to display for the recent two days in SWGAide, is it. You could check out the Depleted tab and see if the 17-hours-ago depleted stuff is there. If not there is a problem, but what? :?

/Zimoon

PS: And uploading + that initial dialog, as I tried to explain: Unless the most recent update is really outdated there is not a problem, more an annoyance. If the ISDroid reports are dated, that is a lot worse, or if they do not cover all 10 planets for the resource class.

:)

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 am

Zimoon wrote: Did you select a main galaxy and enabled auto-update at the menu Options => SWGCraft... dialog?
Yes, Auto update is selected as is the correct galaxy
I realize that the time-stamp I asked for is incomplete for this topic as it just tells the time, not the date. I guess you took the screen-shot at around 18.00 your local time, right? If so, then the download worked up until that point. If you took the screen-shot later than 18:20 and if you did not enable auto-update it can still be OK, then this page just update itself (requests another download) if you visit another galaxy and then back to Sunrunner. Otherwise, if you have enabled auto-update for SS something is weird. I wouldn't say broken, not after one user's report and it works for so many others.
I took the screen shot at 2200 I reinstalled on that PC at around 1300.
In your folder for SWGAide, would you mind check which files that exist and their time-stamps in the "temp" folder, in particular the two files swgcraft-sunrunner-status.txt and swgcraft-sunrunner-current.xml. You can also post the content of the status file, please.
Time Stamps:

Status.txt

The current file is a bit large to post here I think...

Next, browsing http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/view_change ... ode=recent (Sunrunner) I see that the only activity there is submissions two days ago by jcbjjk and 17 hours ago a bunch of depletes by Oar, so really, there ain't much news to display for the recent two days in SWGAide, is it. You could check out the Depleted tab and see if the 17-hours-ago depleted stuff is there. If not there is a problem, but what? :?
The depleted file is empty.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 am

Monty Burns wrote:...
Time Stamps:
The dates are today and the time seems OK considering time zones, so the files were updated today, or at least they were in some way touched so their time-stamp were changed.

Status.txt
But this is a 77½ hour difference from mine => more than 3 days. Odd. Indeed. The file is changed according to to the image but its content is not :?

There is an increasing smell of burnt-brain over here :?

The current file is a bit large to post here I think...
No need, but you could read the first lines and what the date says.
Sorry, error, it has no time stamp at all.

The depleted file is empty.
I was unclear, I meant the Depleted page at the Resources section in SWGAide. Do you see the depletions which were done 17 hours ago by Oar? Now 18 hours I guess.
This is really odd. If the status text is touched by SWGAide just minutes ago, why is its content not changed to the most up-to-date? This is kind of beyond me. And why did it start 3 days ago?

You can safely delete the status file, if it is not present to begin with SWGAide will download whatsoever, but if this repeats itself, that the file does not update its content, then ... :(

Thanks for the prompt feedback, at least it makes reasoning ourselves to a root cause a bit faster ;)

Greetings

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:59 am

The depleted page is empty as well.

I deleted the status file and restarted SWGAide and the time stamp changed to 445 resources (23:45) from SWGCraft.

But the depleted page is still empty.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 pm

And you have not deleted the SWGAide.DAT file recently? Within the recent 3 days?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 pm

nope

I have just restarted it and the time stamp has moved to 445 resources (0:15) from SWGCraft.org.

Well something seems to have worked because I sent out a set of water droids and it has updated ok, I will try a chemical update now to ensure things are working because the water survey only had one change.

With luck the problem will be solved (although I have no idea why).