SWGAide Isn't Displaying Mail

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sheny
Novice Crafter

SWGAide Isn't Displaying Mail

Post by Sheny » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:35 am

I'm fairly new to SWGAide but I'm really excited to have stumbled upon it!

My problem is that I can't access any of my mail when using the program. In-game, I typed the /mailsave command and received confirmation that "# of mails were saved to... 0 errors." If I go into my SWG files, I can see where my mails were saved under my profile but SWGAide is not reading them.

Is there something I am overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide Isn't Displaying Mail

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 am

Two possible explanations:
  1. when you "installed" SWGAide, did you specify the correct file path to SWG ?
  2. do you run Windows Vista or Windows 7? then read the README file, the section about Windows. I am not happy about this but it is indeed a 100% Microsoft issue :evil:
Welcome around, happy to see new-comers around :D

/Zimoon

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 pm

If it is windows 7 or vista then theres a pretty easy walkaround, save your mails, then go to the mail folder in SWG, copy the mail records across, this is what I do :P

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:46 pm

I also think I found the route to this error, I have a laptop, that runs 32bit 7 and a desktop that runs 64bit 7.

Now, when I install programs on the 32bit system, they are saved to the normal, C://My Computer//Program Files.... and as such, SWGAide works fine on here.

Now, when I install programs on the 64bit system, they are saved to this... C://My Computer//Program Files (x64)...

Could it be then, an error in navigation to the mail files rather than copying them across to SWGAide

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:16 pm

AtiInc wrote:I also think I found the route to this error, I have a laptop, that runs 32bit 7 and a desktop that runs 64bit 7.

Now, when I install programs on the 32bit system, they are saved to the normal, C://My Computer//Program Files.... and as such, SWGAide works fine on here.

Now, when I install programs on the 64bit system, they are saved to this... C://My Computer//Program Files (x64)...

Could it be then, an error in navigation to the mail files rather than copying them across to SWGAide
I need more info on this one, if there is a funny difference in how file paths are made up.
Nelon, mail me your SWGAide.DAT file from both machines please, you have my email somewhere.
Also, copy and paste the file-paths to SWG at both machines; copy from properties of the game icon.
Thanks
Zimoon

Sheny
Novice Crafter

Post by Sheny » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for everyone's assistance, however, I'm still having difficulties getting SWGAide to read my mail.

To answer your question, Zimoon: yes, I made sure that I accurately found the correct file path to SWG. When I open SWGAide, I can see my profiles listed there with my character's names.

I am running Window's Vista. I am totally familiar with the issue that deals with "Administrator" issues, so I read the SWG README, and made the suggested adjustments to the Javaw.exe file.

One stupid question that I might ask however...

When installing SWGAide for the first time, how long should the initial setup take? The reason I ask, is because I deleted my original SWGAide files and began with a fresh installation. Right now, on the SWGAide Installation panel, I'm seeing a message that reads "Executing step 2 and step 3" There's a button next to it that says "Done". There's also a light blue progress bar at the bottom right-hand corner.

Is my installation complete? Am I to wait for further information? I've just been clicking on the "Done" button but the message that reads "Executing step 2 and step 3" has me thinking that it's not finished.

Thanks again!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 pm

It was a while since but I think that if the Done button is enabled you are set to go. I will have a second look at this later this week. Now bed is asking me for company :P

/Zimoon

Sheny
Novice Crafter

Post by Sheny » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm

I really do feel guilty for beating a dead Bantha, but I still cannot get SWGAide to work with SWG. SWGAide has so many tools and functions that I could really find helpful (with multiple Trader professions), but I can't get anything to work.

Now, if I need to check out the latest resources, SWGAide has no problems talking back and forth to SWGCraft. It's getting SWGAide to communicate with my SWG game files, that I have a problem with. If I go into my SWG profile files, I can copy and paste my /mailsave items into the SWGAide mail folders, and I can read my mails from Aide. I just hate having to manually copy and paste everything. Plus, I like the idea of Aide being able to sort out vendor sales and track customers, and so forth. If I have to maintain all of this information manually, I might as well be using spreadsheets. I was attracted to SWGAide, primarily, because it appears as though it takes care of most of the work for me.

I am running Windows Vista. I have followed the advice in the READme file and made the proper administrative adjustments to my java. I have completely deleted all of my SWGAide files and reinstalled it (several times), thinking that it was an installation error. I know that when I install, I am finding the correct SWG path. The only thing that does work for me is that I CAN see all of my profile/character information in SWGAide.

One thing that I've noticed (which may or may not point to a problem), is that I can't even extract the zip to my C:\ destination. When I do, I get the following message...

! C:\Users\user\Desktop\SWGAide_0_8_09.zip: Cannot create SWGAide.jar
! Access is denied.

If I extract the .jar to my desktop and then manually move the .jar into my SWGAide folder on the C:\, then SWGAide will launch but it won't close. I have to start my Utilities Manager and shut it down from there, each and every time I try.

I know that Windows Vista has a really annoying problem with running applications as administers. I have to run SWG as admin. Is there something similar going on with SWGAide that I need to consider? I thought that there might be some sort of 'firewall' that's preventing SWGAide from accessing my SWG files but if my profile information appears in Aide, then it has to be something else.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 pm

OK, so what if you create your "SWGAide" folder at your desktop or anywhere inside the "User" area, that should work.

What I did at my super-secured work-laptop (I can assure you that my employer has gone to the extreme to secure it, it ain't much I can do without hassle and I usually find my ways around when I have the machine in front of me, not just reading about it) was to bring up properties for what you name the "SWGAide" folder, changed the read/write attributes at that folder but insisted on all-files-and-sub-folders too.

But the easiest is probably to have the folder within User-space as you have full read/write/destroy-whatever rights there.

Remember, SWGAide is not a normal Windows application that spits out files wherever and drops dozens of secret stuff in the registry. Nothing of that happens. Everything is contained within the folder you create for it. The only file which can be corrupt is the SWGAide.DAT file, deleting that file and its backup copies in the backups folder makes SWGAide "reinstall". That is it.

With one exception, SWGAide nicely asks Windows if it should put temporary files somewhere in particular, otherwise it is using the temp folder :)

If you move the SWGAide folder to within your User-space, tell me if that does not work. Then we continue from there. Now, good night :)

/Z

Sheny
Novice Crafter

Post by Sheny » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:32 pm

As of right now, Zimoon, SWGAide is parked on my desktop. Interesting to note: with the release of SWGAide 0.8.10, I'm able to see any in-game macros that I've ever created.

But still no mail :?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Geeh, a leap forward. Notice however, that macros are read-only :)
You should also see notes files. Can you edit and save these and see the file is changed within SWG or in a text editor. Notes files are found in SWG\profiles\<station>\ where station is your account name. Is that possible?

OK, now there can be at least two more things.
  • Have you set file/folder read/write permissions for the SWG folder?
    Select that folder and open Properties => Security, what permissions do you have?
    If not enough, select yourself => Advanced => select yourself again => Change Permissions => Edit => select Full Control => OK => OK => OK => OK
    You will probably face one security dialog or two, accept these
  • Now the SWGAide folder, the one at your desktop.
    It should have updated itself to be more permissive when you moved it to the desktop (at least IMHO).
    Is it possible you never moved it but you created a shortcut?
    Either way, do exactly the same procedure as above.
This should get you going.
If not, check the two log files in SWGAide's log folders and mail them to me, please: simongronlund and I use gmail . com.

/Zimoon