When/how does SWGAide update schematic info?

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

When/how does SWGAide update schematic info?

Post by Swedishoyster » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:07 am

A question about how swgaide works?
When a schematic is updated here at swgcraft, when is swgaide updated with that new information? is it the next time I start swgaide and it synchronizes with swgcraft or is it when a new version of swgaide is released?
Last edited by Zimoon on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split to new topic
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide Wish-list: Suggestions, Ideas, and Must-Have

Post by Zimoon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:35 am

Swedishoyster wrote:A question about how swgaide works?
When a schematic is updated here at swgcraft, when is swgaide updated with that new information? is it the next time I start swgaide and it synchronizes with swgcraft or is it when a new version of swgaide is released?
If there is a change to schematics, but only then, SWGCraft compiles the schematics information, this is done once a day sometime after midnight Swedish time (don't know the details, Sobuno can fill in). Next time after that when you start SWGAide it checks if the schematics information is updated and obtains it.

Right now players that launch SWGAide just before SWGCraft compiles an update will not see the update until after exit and relaunch. The stub is in place if SWGAide should make this check more often, but I want to wait to enable this until more prioritized items are in place.

Does this answer your thoughts?

/Zimoon

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Re: When/how does SWGAide update schematic info?

Post by Swedishoyster » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 am

Yes, the reason I asked was that i did update a schematics, started swgaide and got a "new resources alert" meaning it had connected to swgcraft, the schematic however still wasn't updated, hence my question.
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Sobuno
Developer

Re: SWGAide Wish-list: Suggestions, Ideas, and Must-Have

Post by Sobuno » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Zimoon wrote:(don't know the details, Sobuno can fill in)
20 minutes past 1, server time (Europe/London)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Now you have both the period and the time :)

Once all schematics are updated/corrected I guess this is less of a problem, at least not as frequent.

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:09 am

I recently ran into an issue where on June 3rd I created schematics for the Crusader Mark III armor. However, SWGAide did not reflect those changes. It wasn't until I forced SWGAide to DL a new schematics.xml file (by renaming what was there...didn't want to delete it incase it broke something) that SWGAide reflected those changes.

One of the weird things though, was that SWGAide was showing that the latest schematic update was on June 3rd. Unless someone else had updated some that I did not see and the server created the file before I had made my changes I don't remember what time of day I made my changes on that day.

So it looks like for whatever reason...sometimes SWGAide will not update the schematics.xml file...or (as usual) I could be missing something :P.
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:03 am

You made your changes around 17.30-18.30, the file is generated at approximately 01:20, thus your changes would not be added till the June 4th update.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:48 am

I believe Sobuno nailed the issue. SWGAide cannot download anything until SWGCraft has compiled a new file. This is explained quite early in the help file.

I notices your Crusader Armor June 4th, so Sobuno's reply seems fair enough.

One could argue if the date should read this or that, but whatever it reads it will be in GMT and then your time zone in the world will still make it either good or bad. Perhaps a UTC time-stamp would do better, but that would make the time-stamp unreadable for human eyes ;)

No, I do not think there is an error in SWGAide.
However, SWGAide does only check for updates to this file when it starts, not every hours or so, so if you are active during the period SWGCraft compiles a new file then it makes sense to restart, but then only if a new file was generated due to something was edited or added.

So, you say you renamed that file (which is safe) and you noticed an update. I am pretty sure you did that at June 4th (UK time) and then SWGAide would have downloaded that file anyway. Don't you think?

/Zimoon

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Like I said...I am probably missing something...and that something would probably be the GMT issue (I am in Central Time Zone...aka GMT-5). I figure if I made my changes sometime around 1230 my time (1730 GMT) on June 3rd then by at least 48 hours later on June 5th around 1230 my time (1730 GMT) SWGAide should have updated the file, right? If that is the case, why didn't I get a new file until after SWGAide could not find one already there? If I had made that file un-seeable by SWGAide it should have just downloaded the exact same one, right? Except it didn't. It was a new file with a different file size that then included those objects in the schematics view.

I guess my question basically is...why didn't SWGAide update the file in the three or so times that I restarted the program instead of after I made the change to the existing file? Or was it all a bit of circumstance since it looks like I forced the new file to be downloaded at 2000 June 5th my time (according to the file stamped date) which is 0100 June 6th server time...but then why does the file say it was last updated June 4th...ahh my head is killing me!
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 pm

I cannot say what this is all about. SWGAide use an extremely simple logic for this one:
  • check if local file exists
  • if the local file does not exist
    • download it from SWGCraft
  • else
    • read line after line until "last_updated" is found and remember the value
    • obtain last-changed time stamp from SWGCraft as a date-value (this does not download the file)
    • compare the local value and the obtained value
      • if the values are equal, bail out
      • else, download the file
I have never seen an issue with this ever. The same logic is used also for other files that SWGAide downloads from SWGCraft and from SWGAide's file area.

I can imagine a few things:
-- a temporary glitch that made the logic say "no" (such a network issue should be seen in the log files)
-- SWGCraft did not tell the proper last-changed time stamp (unlikely)
-- your computer's file cache had cached the value somehow (is this even possible)
-- some oddity I fail to see (impossible 8))

After all, SWGAide is open source and if anybody scrutinize the code I am all happy for that. The code for this particular issue begins in swg/swgcraft/SWGCraftCache.java:updateCache()

Or, the short reply:
I have absolutely no idea and I think you are hallucinating :lol:

/Zimoon

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:22 am

Zimoon wrote:
Or, the short reply:
I have absolutely no idea and I think you are hallucinating :lol:
/Zimoon
This isn't entirely un-impossible...
Starsider