SWGAide installation problems

Moderator: Forum Moderator

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

SWGAide installation problems

Post by passionfly1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:07 pm

.082 has a problem starting due to the way it tries to access the actual SWG folder. Upon a clean install (no old/scrubbed DAT file) It will try and look for SWG in the path C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Star Wars Galaxies. What SWGAide needs to do is in the first place after a scrub is done on the DAT file is prompt you where the SWG folder is located and not automatically locate it for you.

Locating the SWG folder in the C: drive takes a long time and when it does not find it it will crap out and then finally after many minutes of searching prompt you to specifically tell it where SWG is located. On my drive its on D: not C: at the location of D:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed games\Star Wars Galaxies

Regardless of the location its told its at, SWGAide locks up at loading at around 24% with the following error in the log file:

[Tue Dec 22 18:19:20 EST 2009 | version 0.7.82 == EXCEPTION == Caught in main: :Argument is not "profiles": C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Star Wars Galaxies\profiles
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument is not "profiles": C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Star Wars Galaxies\profiles
at swg.model.SWGStation.scanForStations(SWGStation.java:502)
at swg.model.SWGStation.scanForNewStations(SWGStation.java:456)
at swg.gui.SWGInitialize.scanForStations(SWGInitialize.java:745)
at swg.gui.SWGInitialize.scanAll(SWGInitialize.java:514)
at swg.gui.SWGFrame.initTabPane(SWGFrame.java:1011)
at swg.gui.SWGFrame.<init>(SWGFrame.java:260)
at swg.SWGAide.startGUI(SWGAide.java:567)
at swg.SWGAide.main(SWGAide.java:160)
=== STOPPED: Tue Dec 22 18:19:20 EST 2009

[Sun Dec 27 14:32:16 EST 2009 | version 0.7.82 == EXCEPTION == Caught in main: :Argument is not "profiles": C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Star Wars Galaxies\profiles
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument is not "profiles": C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Star Wars Galaxies\profiles
=== STOPPED: Sun Dec 27 14:32:16 EST 2009

[Sun Dec 27 14:58:18 EST 2009 | version 0.7.82 == EXCEPTION == Caught in main: :Argument is not "profiles": C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Star Wars Galaxies\profiles
=== STOPPED: Sun Dec 27 14:58:18 EST 2009

I will email you personally with my scrubbed and unscrubbed DAT file so you can test it out.
Last edited by Zimoon on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split this into its own thread, renamed topic

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide installation problems

Post by Zimoon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Passion, I will have a look tomorrow, now it is very late here and I must be at work at 8 AM 8)

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide installation problems

Post by Zimoon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi Passion,

I must admit that I do not understand which scenario that does not work.
I also want to say that I will not change anything about the way SWGAide initiates itself on a clean install, i.e. when there is no DAT file whatsoever. And if SWG -- the game -- is reinstalled or if there is a new computer I hope that the nearby thread http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... =43&t=2065 is helpful enough, is it not?

The reason that I will not change anything is simple:
Either I spend the time on fixing something that is used once in a blue moon, or I spend it on adding schematics support. That is exactly the same reason as why I did not made the conversion utility a 100% bullet-proof swiss knife that takes care of every single step there is to it.

That said, yes, some players may run into unexpected situations, I am sorry about that and I do not take shelter behind any "this is just a Beta version" or "you haven't paid anything, what did you expect?", I truly am sorry when things go wrong and I have and I continue to spend considerable time patching whatever possible. Sometimes the simplest solution perhaps is to nuke the DAT file and start over.

On to business and the files that you sent me, I got them, thanks.

The one named Live-07.33 has the file path you quote above, the C:\Program Files\Sony....
If SWG now is installed at D:\---something this DAT file will not work. This is an old limitation which has been discussed in the past, last week for example.

The other file named "new file no scrubbing" does have SWG's file path D:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed games\Star Wars Galaxies\. Because that DAT file contains the version text "0.7.82" and also named characters and their mail-folder path inside the "profiles" folder I interpret that as this DAT file indeed works and SWGAide is fine with this file, is it not?

I have also reviewed the source code and I made a test installation where I had to find SWG at another disk, and everything indicates it works. However, if you happen to have SWG installed both at C:\ and at D:\ there will be a problem, but I wouldn't exactly say it is a bug. Is that the case? Do you have SWG also at C:\?

If so, when the initialization comes as far as to where SWGAide has begun scanning C:\ you press Cancel. This takes you to a dialog that asks if you really ant to cancel, select "No". At this point the file choose might display a path at C:\ but you just navigate to D:\whatever-path and press OK. If you press cancel or the escape button or close the file-chooser with X it will select C:\, assuming there is a SWG installed at C:\ This is modified so the version after 0.7.83 will behave just a bit differently if the user bails out.

Another way, if you really have a SWG at C:\ which you do not want to use, rename its folder to for example SWG. It will make SWGAide not find it. Would you at a future point want to use it, rename it back again.

But in the ends of the day this topic puzzles me, what is the problem? The latter file seems to work. The former file does not work unless you have a computer where the file path to SWG equals the one in the post above at C:\.

Is the problem that you want to transfer parts of its content to the new installation of SWG<--->SWGAide ?

If so, run the conversion tool on the old 0.7.33---DAT file. Do not bother with the DAT file, it won't work, but you will get the precious inventory and guards from it, saved into the transit folder :D

This became a long post, I am sorry about that, I do want to help you but I fail to understand how. So...
Considering I will not change how the current initialization works (saving me the time), what do you suggest? Or what is the problem?

Greetings
/Zimoon
Last edited by Zimoon on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Scrutinized the code and corrected this post