Bugs found with version 07.77 Beta of SWGAide

Moderator: Forum Moderator

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Bugs found with version 07.77 Beta of SWGAide

Post by passionfly1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:12 pm

BUG: Resources > Current Resources do not display any resources at all. The page is completely blank and login settings are verified and correct. Logging into 07.33 Beta does show the resources correctly and downloads new resources found on SWGCraft site.

BUG: After a successful run of the Conversion utility the guards are scrubbed but no guards can be importable from any file or CSV file (guards.csv, engineer_guards.csv, structure_guards.csv, etc, etc.) whatsoever. Guards must be manually recreated only and THEN can be exported and reinported. Existing guards from previous versions of the beta or live version of SWGAide will not import at all. Existing guards found on the forums can not be imported at all. The SWGAide utility does nothing when importing preexisting guard CSV files the page remains blank.

The same goes for User lists (users.csv) can not be imported and users must be recreated by hand. Oddly enough when recreating the users in the Resources > Harvesting pane all the values and names of the users get auto-filled or are selectable from the pull-down menu or are already entered such as the values 4,4,4,2,5 for Trader's expertise.

The same goes for Harvesters (harvies.csv) can not be imported and must be recreated by hand. The columns are not auto-filled when recreating however.

Opening up any CSV file clearly shows all the correct values in the file but the SWGAide utility can not and does not parse this file and import. Nothing happens.

UPDATE: Only after leaving the SWGAide utility running and not doing anything for a period of 5 mins or more do all the Current resources reveal themselves after a wootini sound. Same goes for the Guards. There is no manual way to push this utility to show or reveal a status of it actually being successful in any of these imports or resource downloads. Only Guards and Current resources finally reveal themselves after a prolonged period of inactivity in the utility (they just auto-populate). The users and harvesters do not auto-populate no matter the time left with the utility running.

BUG: Album does not show any pictures at all. The word "SWG" is selected and no pictures show even tho actual pictures do reside in the screenshots folder of the real directory.

BUG: The Main > SWG pane does not allow for individual selection of toons to see their emails. The "SWG" selection does not expand to reveal a sub-folder of subsets of toons. Only one toon shows all the mails when clearly there are multiple toons and multiple emails corresponding to each toon in the game folder. This version makes the "SWG" directory static and does not allow for its expansion for alternate toon selection.

So to wrap up:
1.) Alternate toon emails views is broken (some default toon is selected behind the scenes and that's all you get with no ability to choose alternates)
2.) Album view is broken and does not display any pictures.
3.) Current resources do populate after prolonged inactivity and does work
4.) Guards do populate after prolonged inactivity and import and does work
5.) Inventory CSV does import and does work (after 2 successful imports the inventory list finally does stick between utility closure and reopening. Although it takes an import, closing and reopening and reimporting the inventory list for it to stick - it does work WHEW!!!)
6.) Importation of users list in Resources > Harvesting is broken (only manual recreation is possible)
7.) Importation of harvesters list in Resource > Harvesting is broken (only manual recreation is possible)
8.) All respective CSV files are valid and show all the details (opened up with Excel for instance) necessary to work when imported, but the utility does not parse them into the correct pane when importing (with the exception of guards which mysteriously auto-populate after a prolonged period of inactivity).

Recommendation: If the CSV file is a valid file yet the utility does not parse this data or give feedback its parsing in some visual way then the problem is just that the utility is not responding in a timely fashion (as with the guards.csv). All other CSV seem valid in the Transit > Transit > [server name] folder. The scrubber seems to create these individual CSV correctly just the manual re-importation within the utility either does not work at all (in the case of harvies.csv and users.csv) or does work but after some indetermined amount of inactivity or reimportation (as the case of guards.csv and inventory.csv). If the utility could correctly import these CSV files then the new version of SWGAide would be a great success! Perhaps incorporating this reimportation with the scrubber of all 4 of the CSV files would make it a very hands-off upgrade.

If there was some manual way to ensure that the SWGAide utility was pointing to the correct SWG profiles folder I am pretty sure this is the case of not being able to select alternate toons for email view. I am not sure how to tell SWGAide to look in a certain profiles folder so the various toons emails are revealed. The current version (07.77) does not offer the previous versions (07.33) ability to expand the SWG folder in the Main pane to select the correct toon name.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Bugs found with version 07.77 Beta of SWGAide

Post by Zimoon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:34 pm

This was a long post.
Rather than this many bugs in SWGAide it looks as something else is broken.

What does the log files read?

What Windows version are you running? If Vista or later, have you verified the persmissions for SWGAide so it can execute in admin mode?

What Java version do you have? In a "command terminal" (DOS-like terminal) type "java -version"

Let us start from there because I think there is something that hinders SWGAide to execute normally.

/Zimoon

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:08 pm

I have not found these bugs, I have installed v07.77 on two different computers (vista32 and XP Pro)

IMHO - There must be something broken/blocked on your computer
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:23 am

Zimoon wrote:This was a long post.

which log and where can I find it?

What Windows version are you running? If Vista or later, have you verified the persmissions for SWGAide so it can execute in admin mode?
Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7600 64-bit (not beta) I run all my apps/software in Admin mode and I have even went so far as to give my login explicit permissions for everything including sub-folders. My full Admin rights are propagated to every folder on the drive and I right-click and "run as" Administrator on all day to day apps I use. However, .JAR files do not have a "compatibility" tab like EXE or COM do so you can not grant them "run as" administrator rights as conveniently. They do have a "Security" tab which is identical in function as the previous and I am clearly there and also a member of "Administrators", which is also visible. Remember Sun Java is a rival of Microsoft Java development software, so they aren't going to make Sun Java easy to reside on their OS's, in term of special "Compatibility" tabs for them, lol. But the brilliant software engineers at Sun make the 32-bit version of Java completely compatible and work just fine in Windows 7

What Java version do you have? In a "command terminal" (DOS-like terminal) type "java -version"
Sun Java 1.16.0 update 17 (the latest) d/l from Sun.java.com. There is no 64-bit version of Java available for Windows only for Linux and Solaris. There is a 64-bit Java plug-in for 64-bit version of Internet Explorer but I use the 32-bit version for the OS/Firefox browser because there is no choice there. I have been using the same 32-bit version of Java on both my old XP drive and this new Windows 7 one. I have a dual-boot system (old XP Pro SP3 drive is the C: drive and my new Win7 drive is the D: drive) so I can even test these same problems under XP or Win7 and they both are identical. Its not an OS/rights issue I can assure you.

Let us start from there because I think there is something that hinders SWGAide to execute normally.

/Zimoon
I started by using the conversion utility and took my release version of SWGAide.DAT file that I use everyday and it converted just fine. I then put the 0.77 version of SWGAide inside the transit folder along with this converted SWGAide.dat file. I did not move anything into this folder except the swgaide.dat after the conversion was ran on it. All results are from the 0.77 transit folder and if you want any specific log let me know which folder to look in and I can u/l em to ya.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 am

Thanks a lot, let's see...
passionfly1 wrote:
Zimoon wrote:This was a long post.

which log and where can I find it?
Have a look in the folder for SWGAide, there is a folder named "logs" ;)

Windows 7 release 64-bit (not beta)
And did you verify "execute in admin mode"?

Java 1.16.0 update 17 (the latest) There is no 64-bit version of Java available for Windows only for Linux and Solaris. There is a 64-bit Java plug-in for Internet Explorer but I use the 32-bit version for the OS/Firefox browser because there is no choice there.

/Zimoon
I started by using the conversion utility and took my release version of SWGAide.DAT file that I use everyday and it converted just fine. I then put the 0.77 version of SWGAide inside the transit folder along with this converted SWGAide.dat file. I did not move anything into this folder except the swgaide.dat after the conversion was ran on it. All results are from the 0.77 transit folder and if you want any specific log let me know which folder to look in and I can u/l em to ya.
The blue-tinted text: I think this makes all the difference. When you do this SWGAide expects to find populated folders located inside the transit folder, but there are none. The DAT file is corrupt in the sense it does not look like the reality, because you moved the two fles to another folder --- it could as well be to another universe from SWGAide's point of view :)

The logs probably reads what SWGAide ckokes on. Now there should be a folder named "logs" in the transit folder, and some other folders too. I still want to see the logs, please mail them to me, address is in the readme file in the zip file for the conversion utility.

In the SWGAide 0.7.x thread, the very first link in the first post refers to a thread which reads the instructions in detail. In the SWGAide 0.7.x thread, a bit down, I posted a step by step on how to do it for another user.

In short, move back both SWGAide.jar and SWGAide.DAT so they replace the old files (first move the old files elsewhere if you want to keep them). There is a risk that the DAT file now is corrupt, but there should be a backup in the transit folder, and several (but older) in the backup folder.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, that is why I want the log files. If there is something SWGAide should handle I will fix it. But if it is something exotic that only happens when users do not follow instructions and if it is hard to fix, then ... 8)

No harm though, it is great to get this issue looked into. Thanks for your feedback and patience.

/Zimoon

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:35 pm

ok I seem to have recovered nicely by completely redoing my folder structure entirely in the SWGAide folder as such:

depicted in the shot below...

As you can see everything is separately isolated in own folder and correctly named based on version and whether its test or live version. I came across several interesting discoveries in how the scrubber works but what it can also potentially do to make the upgrade seamless.

1) The scrubber does not pull the screenshots from the actual SWG folder to its own. You have to manually move them to have them show in SWGAid Album pane. This was the reason I was not able to see any images the folder did not have any but once physically moved (304 of em) they all popped up but the lag in the Pane became severe between mouse clicks. This can be touched on later as its not that important.

2) The scrubber creates 3 files in \transit\[server name] folder. They are harvesters.csv, inventory.csv and guards.csv. All 3 can be manually readded with the import function and show and work indentically as previous SWGAide version did. If the scrubber could do this step automatically or have SWGAide pull the data from these files upon first opening we are almost complete.

There are 5 major areas of import in SWGAide they are:
mail/email
inventory
guards
harvesters
album

The first I already covered how its not working. Inventory and guards work great with manual import from their respective files. Harvesters works even better cause it also imports the user data in the left hand side of the same pane so that's 2 areas you do not have to retype! YAY!

The one area I can see as being a severe sticking point is the mail. Since if you are going from a previous version to a newer version of SWGAide the old version (say 07.33) already has an existing mail folder structure. When 07.77 is started it again looks in the SWG folder for emails and finds none or a limited amount? Why is this? Because the mail has already been pulled from the SWG directory and stuck in the 07.33 \mail folder and therefore the 07.77 version sees nothing but an empty SWG\profiles\mail folder. Now if you manually copy the SWGAide 07.33 \mail folder to the new 07.77 tree all the mail is visible and works! Since the scrubber only works with a single DAT file and not a multitude of AUCT MAIL or SENT files, but the DAT file knows where they reside at can the scrubber not just copy or move these mails over to the new folder? I would vote for copying rather then moving then. Its always best to have originals elsewhere in this sort of conversion process.

Wish List
The one other minor thing I noticed is in the Trade > Statistics > Customers > "Metrics" area my actual starting credit total is not visible so therefore the metrics aren't very helpful as whole. If there was a box to enter my total credits that the email metrics could then be applied to a person could see exactly how much money they made or lost between the time frame of email buys and sales.

I love the Click-a-Cell filter option in Trade > Sales. Can there be a likewise Click-a-Cell feature for the Trade > Purchases pane too? Selling has a filter yet buying has none =(

I would like to see a more specific naming convention on the actual files and supplementals without manually having to retype them. Having a file just called "SWGAide" can lead to confusion when dealing with an upgrade. The same would apply to readme.txt or SWGAideConversion.jar. They all should have a version number after them to help distinguish their identity on the computer. Windows 7 automatically truncates the .xxx extension and you can re-enable it sure but its just easier to read many files if they are named correctly. For instance, a file called SWGAide-history.txt could be named SWGAide-history 07.77.txt to help you know its history from 07.77 and back and not 07.33 and back, etc. A minor thing like this can be very helpful for troubleshooting something right away.

That's it for today, I do not see any problems with stability with 07.77 now that is all imported and working just like the live version. I can select all various toons and see all their mail with the above provision to move it all over manually. The only exception is the Album pane that gets extremely laggy trying to access or click on images. Everything else imports either manually or has a way to get it to work after a conversion. YaY!
Attachments
screenshot001.jpg
structure of multiple beta sets
screenshot001.jpg (188.61 KiB) Viewed 8873 times

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:05 pm

one other quick thing I noticed is in Resources > Harvester > Harvester Warnings the help file only details this:

Harvester Warnings:
The top center panel contains a number of options related to the visual alerts for when properties such as maintenance, power, an hopper. Here you can specify how far in advance you want the alert to warn for when maintenance or power is drained, or when the hopper is full.

Maint ends and Power ends values should be more descriptive in the help file as to what those 2 values actually mean they do. I'm still not positive of their exact meaning myself tbh. I'm not positive if this is an hourly or percentage attribute.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 am

OK, good to see that you solved the issue.

1)
I will not put any more time into the conversion utility. I have stated why in a nearby thread, it is not only a waste of my time for a once-in-a-decade occassion but there are also technical issues involved. The only purpose of the conversion utility is exactly what you call it, a scrubber, to scrub away incompatible data, nothing else; not to move, not to change, not to convert.

2)
The readme file and the nearby thread on "how to upgrade" covers the options users can select. Possibly there are more possibilities, but I guess they are just variations. If anything is unclear in these texts I am happy to improve the texts.

3)
I do not see the problem with manually copying the stuff. If a user wants to make a copy of the SWGAide folder, for safety or to run versions in parallel, it is no harder than a) create a new folder, b) select all folders and files in the old folder, c) drag them with the right-hand mouse button to the new folder, d) select Copy at the popup dialog when the mouse is released, and e) grab a beer while Windows does the job. To make it a tad more complex the user can figure out which folders and files not to copy ;)

BTW, if just for safety reasons it is perhaps easier to just make a ZIP-file of the entire folder.

Essentially there should be no need for a parallel version. Except for the first day with release 0.7.75 and a bug related to galaxy names, there has been no severe bug, but some old stuff have been reported. User excursions in the wild not accounted for. I would say the current version is as stable as the old version, just that the unstable parts are at different sections :(

4)
The only bug reports I am interested in right now are those where resources are involved in one way or the other. It is to 97% resources and resource classes that are changed during the recent 4 months. So, yes, the album still lags. Anybody volunteers to code some Java and image processing --- thumb nails actually?

5)
Thanks for the input on the harvesting help text. Actually I wrote that part when I visited my old folks during the Halloween weekend, no computer within miles so I had to recall from memory 8) No excuze, but a lame explanation. I will polish on the text again. FYI, you can set the value to either hours to dead-line, or the %-limit for the alert.

If anybody fluent in English, which I am not as you all have learned by now, I am most grateful for suggestions.

Either way, tomorrow I will take the time and review your feedback again and cherry-pick some items, thanks for your input :)

/Zimoon

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 pm

If you could point me to where the site is for the external html text for the help file (if there is one) I can proofread the whole help file copy to catch any errors. I'm a very good proofreader and used to do that for a living. My typing sucks however and I use a spell-checker to catch my numerous typos, lol

I don't want to burden you with "here is yet another error I found in Help" type of issues as I can proof it myself and send back my recommended changes that can be copy and pasted easily into the final.

I'm very fluent in spelling and grammatical mistakes in English. Sentence structure and form are my strengths.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 pm

I have thought of copying them from inside the JAR file to a "docs" folder, but there is a distance between thought and ... plus time prioritation.

However, there are two locations:
1) inside the JAR file, and
2) at SourceForge.net, project SWGAide

The first is easiest, if you have for example WinZip, right-click the JAR file and open it in WinZip (a JAR file is actually a compressed archive, with som extra finesses). Sort the columns on "file path" and in swg/gui/ there are folders named "docs" at some locations. Copy & paste to a simple text editor, disregard the html-tags :)

All help is great :D

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 am

passionfly1 wrote:one other quick thing I noticed is in Resources > Harvester > Harvester Warnings the help file only details this:

Harvester Warnings:
The top center panel contains a number of options related to the visual alerts for when properties such as maintenance, power, an hopper. Here you can specify how far in advance you want the alert to warn for when maintenance or power is drained, or when the hopper is full.

Maint ends and Power ends values should be more descriptive in the help file as to what those 2 values actually mean they do. I'm still not positive of their exact meaning myself tbh. I'm not positive if this is an hourly or percentage attribute.
This one is redone in the next version of SWGAide, I have simply removed the % warning option for the hopper, I asked at some point and all replies were "I use the byb-hour option" so ... Now people must argue for why I should reinstate the option 8)

Help text is reviewed/edited to, I found there were missing parts :oops:

/Zimoon

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:58 am

ok, I stickied your instructions and I will get working on proof reading the "Doc" inside the Jar this weekend. =)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:45 am

Great, as you see now these options are re-worked, percent is gone, mouse flyover texts are improved and the help-text updated (there was a missing section) :)

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 am

Some of my harvesters doesn't get their maintanance and power updated.
I usually fill them up pretty much so I haven't expected any low power/main warnings, but recently I filled this new harvester up with 100k main and 50k power and 2 days later swgaide insisted they still had 100k/50k, the hopper is being updated correctly though. This doesn't seem to happen to all my harvesters just some of them.

I sometimes run SWG in two instances on this computer and sometimes that makes swgaide run very slow and even freeze/crash. it's usually solved by just restarting it.

System: Asus P7P55D motherboard. Intel Core i7-750 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 1500 GB HD, ATI Radeon 5750, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (swedish).
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Do not run SWGAide side by side in the same folder, that will definitely corrupt the DAT file sooner than later. That is since both will try to write and read from it, and if ... I mean when ... the file is either made corrupt, or one of the two will block on reading/writing the file while the other hogs it. Whichever depends on how good a version of Windows you have.

Otherwise I cannot explain the lag. Perhaps there is some issue with the JVM. I have seen some on.line discussions about JVM on Windows 7 but if it is the JVM or W7 I have not figured out. Or the mix of the two.

/Zimoon