Where is the best place to put a shop?

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Mobious
Novice Crafter

Where is the best place to put a shop?

Post by Mobious » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:55 pm

I thought I would open this one up...

I use to have my shop on Tatooine and then I moved to Lok. I think that in Tatooine I got more business, but on Lok I make more money. ANy general thoughts?

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:20 pm

I've kept my shops all within the trade district of my city. It was one of the original "crafters havens" on our server, though after the vendor search function was added it became less important to band shops together in a city.

As a buyer, I will typically look on the vendor search for what I want and have no issues either shuttling or biking it to wherever the shop is.

I really do miss the old days of shuttling to those crafter mecca towns to peruse stores. While vendor search is really nice, it also cuts down on the ambiance some.

Cerceuil
Forum Moderator

Post by Cerceuil » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:37 pm

I had always tried to keep my vendors near a Star Port of some type or a quick shuttle. however, I had one about 2k meters from Temple City on Dantooine once and it never hurt at all.

If someone wants what you are selling...even if its not the cheapest...they will travel to your store.

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Rackle » Tue May 29, 2007 6:10 pm

I've got my one and only just on the south east city limit of Mos Eisley. I figure I get anyone who doesn't feel like buying a ticket elsewhere, because of that I tend to charge a little more than someone on a planet like Lok or Dant.

I considered sticking a city hall there if it would let me, and then setting zoning rules. Only letting in merchants, and making a little merchant's corner.

Cerceuil
Forum Moderator

Post by Cerceuil » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:42 pm

you should look into that with the new purge coming...in an area like Mos Eisly something like that could be a godsend for new and old crafters alike. as well as new players coming in that fear running around the galaxy and have to face lvl 80 NPCs just to get their Lvl20 wears.

my orininal intention as a MDoc was to set up a hosptial outside of Anchorhead and stock it with medical supplies, stims, and buff packs. I couldnt get any of hte mayors around there to let me in so I could drop the hospital so i abandoned the idea all together, stayed a medic for a spell then started on Chef and Tailor.

I ended up setting up shop on Talus in Talusian Stronghold then moving to Dantooine later on.

I guess the main focus you should think about is what you are selling and to whom. once you figure that out think about dropping a merchants tent near where your target market hang out.

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Post by thgilsrooc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:34 pm

My vendor house is just 600m north of Nym's Stronghold starport. There are a number of houses there, and I placed the house before player cities came into the game. It's been there a long time and it is loaded with vendors.

Anoriel
Novice Crafter

Post by Anoriel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:50 pm

My vendors are all in the mall in our city on Lok directly in front of our shuttleport and I make a lot of money with them.

I've learned that many people rather take a ticket to a shuttleport than to drive some meters by swoop.

Ori
Anoriel ("Elder"-BH)/Naria (Master-Tailor)/Elayna (Master Architect)/Ynathi (Spy)/Asnyra (Master Entertainer)/Bellanya (Master DE)/Axiy (Medic)

KGD Bazar, St. Graveyard / Lok (WP -5350/4714)-directly in front of Shuttle!

Landlord40
Novice Crafter

Re: Where is the best place to put a shop?

Post by Landlord40 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:27 pm

I have mine in my city on talus, I fear that I dont get as much business as I would if I moved to a more populated planet.
My city has a shuttle, but still....its talus.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Landlord40 wrote:I have mine in my city on talus, I fear that I dont get as much business as I would if I moved to a more populated planet.
My city has a shuttle, but still....its talus.
My best friend in game started a toon at Chimaera and found friends having cities at Talus and she is doing great. It depends on the galaxy of course, but it can also be pricing and so forth. Good luck

/Zimoon

Saamm
Novice Crafter

Post by Saamm » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:37 am

I have my shop located in Promtheus which is probably the most active city on server and 'the place to shop' acording to all who work there, on a Saturday we normaly have 20+ people around the city so you get lots of buisness there, so really if you want to place a good shop find a guild city and drop it there Then to give yourself a boost ask the guild leader or someone with the mail ability to send a newsleter for you shop with all you offers in it etc to make sure people know your there.
Saamm - Master Droid Engineer, Unity
Manager of Promtheus Droid Lot, Promtheus, Lok
Euro-FarStar

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:23 pm

When I'm in a trade city I try and open a tent near the shuttle if I have too I try a broker a deal to get as close as I can to the shuttle.

I don't think one city is better then another just because groups of people move around from city to city. Instead its your name and rep that brings you the busniess.

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Kirneh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 pm

I guess the first rule is always to be near a shuttle port. From customers view I hate it to travel miles and miles through the wilderness, just to buy 1 part which is 50k cheaper than somewhere else. Also it's always good to place your shop next to other shops. When I am out shopping and picking up some part I found at vendor search, I always look arround that place and check vendors nearby. Especially the malls are always good places, like those you find e.g. at Carkoon, Tat. or Iron City, Corellia (Gorath). You go there, get what you want and have a look at the other vendors, buying more as you have planned.

My shop is located at Mos Exile, Tat, Gorath, about 1.2k away from Eisley. Pre-NGE that was a very busy town and its one of the oldest towns on server. Unfortunately now its just a shadow of the past. But we still have visitors and I try to get some more shops back to the town. Many settled just outside city limits, as the best spots in town once were blocked. Meanwhile we have plenty of space, due to the fact that I "turned" the city place from front of city hall to the back, after first D-Day happened. Now there is the SP, some fountains and a garden and the cantina in one line, surrounded by one big mall and 2-3 shops... with still plenty of space left.

As the city is located very near to Mos Exile, many people are willing to bike or shuttle into Mos Exile. The suburbs of Mos Exile start just a few meters outside the no-building area of Mos Eisley, so even to city center its just a hop on your bike.

If you can find a city like that, located arround Theed, Coronet, Eisley, Nym's or Restuss, you can be sure to get a regular income. The more shops arround your place the better.
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

Jogeka
Novice Crafter

Post by Jogeka » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:39 am

I'm recently back from being away four years. In the past, I was in charge of one of the primary crafting/vendor meccas on Tarquinas. We had merchant tents, vendor malls, all nicely arranged with gardens around the shuttleport. There were always people milling about crafting or shopping.

I miss having something like this now even if only from a social perspective (I really haven't come accross any nicely arranged merchant cities since my return and transfer to Chimaera).

I don't recall if the vendor search came in before or after I left but since I've been back, I've been using it to find the cheapest items that I need (very important as prices are so skewed - seen a particular item for 9mil on one vendor but 25mil on another). Perhaps most people nowadays don't really need to worry about prices because they have billions in the bank but for someone like me who "only" has about 100mil, I wouldn't even consider random vendor browsing when you can so easily check prices on the vendor search at the bazaar terminal.

Given the state of things now with the vendor search, (and despite reading the earlier posts here), I'd like to ask again now - does location really matter much at all for getting sales anymore or is it all about server-wide price undercutting? I do still believe that a location near a shuttleport has to still be the best location to try and get a random visitor or at least make it easier for the customer to get there. Some cities I've tried to contact haven't allowed merchant tents (which was always my preference for ease of access/loading time upon entry), while many cities are guild specific or I've had trouble reaching mayors.

Does anyone keep vendors in multiple locations anymore? Back in the day, my guild maintained vendor tents on at least three planets but I'm not sure if that's a good idea now or not (especially if you're planning to stock those multiple locations with the same goods). At the moment, I've been searching for a place to put a tent but am also considering adding vendors to 2-3 other vendor malls but not sure how much I'd gain by splitting my time and resources in that manner.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:22 am

My .02$

I think it definitely helps to have your vendor close to a shuttle port if not close to a major city. If they're lazy shoppers like me, and they want to browse your stock, they'll go to the closest place first. On the other hand, if you're going to get a specific item, me I'll go to the ends of whatever to planet to get.it..

As for multiple locations, I think that helps too. I had one shop each in both of my guild's towns and then a tent outside Wayfar. But I tried to put shops in locations that made sense. If it was a town for beginners, then I tried to have the things there that beginners would want, and kept prices especially for low them knowing they probably aren't flowing with cash. Rare items, people will go anywhere for. That was on Flurry, but on other servers, I'd set up shops just outside of towns and wouldn't bother inquiring about citizenship. Like you mentioned, it's too often too difficult to get a hold of mayors, and if they use that town's shuttle to leave, the town is still making money off the shuttle ride.

But, of course, convenience and competitive pricing are what it's all about. Especially when you consider how many traders there are out there asking ridiculous prices for things, having really no clue what they're actually worth or having paid no mind to what the market will bear, just pulled a hefty price tag out of nowhere.

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:09 pm

I think location can have something to do with success, or at least the location of the nearest shuttleport has a huge impact for most items. I'm transfer to Flurry with my guild. We were going to set up our city on a planet that was overpopulated, so we couldn't get a shuttle established. All of our vendor sales were horrible. We moved to Ft Revolt outside the Rebel Outpost on Rori. Even before we got our own shuttle, since we were less than 1k away from the Starport, our businesses immediately picked up!

I have been using different vendors to separate my wares, like most, and split some to our mall, as well as my work shop. I have been re-evaluating this, especially with the searchable functions. Why should I pay the maintenance on several vendors just to separate categories of items for people that mostly don't even pay that close attention?
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.