Move on from SWG. Where is Everyone Gone too?

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

LostBothan
Novice Crafter

Re: Move on from SWG. Where is Everyone Gone too?

Post by LostBothan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Im going to have to agree with monty that the loss of the official servers was as he put it " a kick where it hurts" for a number of people. some people i knew from game are burnt out on mmos especially after TOR flopped for them.

Smaller communities have arisen in the aftermath but we will likely not find what we worked so hard for, the community we used to have.

I personally am glad swgcraft is still functioning, as an ent and a crafter i found this site very helpful and even now its great to see it alive and supporting the emus. Even though many seem to be moving on to other things, there are some who cant or wont let it go. At some times i feel im missing something, i do keep in touch with a few people via email and my own webbie, but isnt the same as it used to be.

/salute swgcraft ( from some of us entertainers and crafters that are still floating out there )

LostBothan
Novice Crafter

Post by LostBothan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Memnoc wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:Yes well it appears EQ2 is pulling an NGE with this region blocking idea so I may be back playing LoTRO myself, good thing I purchased a lifetime account.

:)
I think I'll do the LoTR and install it this weeked and give it a go. When I was with EQ2 that I started playing since launched I was on blackburrow server guild The Brethern. If anyone has an interest in Guild wars 2 beta here's the link. The open beta closes Friday sometime

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

PS: WOW I never suspected SOE would pull another stunt as they did with swg with the nge. I'm on the forums reading all 1243 posts. Has Smed said anything on why SOe is taking this stance.
Some games are taking steps i dont agree with, the ip blocking being one, but lately games like STO and WoW are considering or are fiddling with their skill trees in ways to 'change up" their games, some of these changes are topics of high debate as they tend to take directions folks dont like at all. So i wouldnt be surprised is soe does do some things. Considering how some countries do not allow IPs outside their own countries and how Smedely isnt eachtly the best COE in the biz, and how he advertises other games outside is own company. TBH i think sony needs to seek out a new COE for their online gaming departments.

In EQs case if it does happen id say its a mistake for sure.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 am

LostBothan wrote:
Memnoc wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:Yes well it appears EQ2 is pulling an NGE with this region blocking idea so I may be back playing LoTRO myself, good thing I purchased a lifetime account.

:)
I think I'll do the LoTR and install it this weeked and give it a go. When I was with EQ2 that I started playing since launched I was on blackburrow server guild The Brethern. If anyone has an interest in Guild wars 2 beta here's the link. The open beta closes Friday sometime

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

PS: WOW I never suspected SOE would pull another stunt as they did with swg with the nge. I'm on the forums reading all 1243 posts. Has Smed said anything on why SOe is taking this stance.
Some games are taking steps i dont agree with, the ip blocking being one, but lately games like STO and WoW are considering or are fiddling with their skill trees in ways to 'change up" their games, some of these changes are topics of high debate as they tend to take directions folks dont like at all. So i wouldnt be surprised is soe does do some things. Considering how some countries do not allow IPs outside their own countries and how Smedely isnt eachtly the best COE in the biz, and how he advertises other games outside is own company. TBH i think sony needs to seek out a new COE for their online gaming departments.

In EQs case if it does happen id say its a mistake for sure.
The thing that I don't get with the EQ2 move is why they are doing it, the game was moving along nicely F2P had been a success but being a 7 year old game it was never likely to take off and so they pull a stunt that was guaranteed to annoy the crap out of the population what was it ever going to achieve?

I can understand the move for EQ3 (EQNext) it is a new game, people will get used to it because it will have IP Blocks from day one but EQ2 is 7 years old and the servers are heavily mixed in terms of nationalities to introduce them now was always going to disrupt the game community and in old games these are very important.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am

It might be that SOE is cleaning out the garage making way for new stuff both in mmo's and other game devices.

SOE killing four MMOs this month
by Jeff Mattas, Mar 01, 2012 11:00am PST