Move on from SWG. Where is Everyone Gone too?

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Gawo
Novice Crafter

Move on from SWG. Where is Everyone Gone too?

Post by Gawo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 am

Me and my GL for <WAR> have Issue with Red Light Dist for Rated T game like SWTOR.
So I have gott in to EvE with MIAclan's CIA coup in EVE and sometime play Battlefields play for free.

My handle for both EVE and BF P4F is Fred SinClair.

I'm have fun with ore mining and getting start on space salvaging.

What is evryone else doing now in new year?

Happy New Year. :)
Last edited by Savacc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed nonworking spam link. In other words, I fixed the link, discovered it was spam, then deleted it

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Move on from SWG. Where is Everyone Gone too?

Post by Tyfo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:55 pm

While I haven't played SWG since late 2005, I recently moved on to Star Wars: The Old Republic, and it's by far the best MMORPG I have ever played. Some will cry heresy, but all SWG had going for it, albeit a HUGE thing, was its crafting and housing system.

While SWTOR doesn't have any intricate crafting system, it's Star Wars, but very polished, and I've never enjoyed questing/leveling up before I tried SWTOR. If anyone wants to join me, I'm playing on the Kellian Jarro (or something like that) server on the empire side. ... I'm a Light Side Sith, :lol:

Edra
Novice Crafter

Post by Edra » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:40 am

I've been playing SWTOR.

Unfortunately, I'm not very happy with it. Its just not as complex as swg was. And I played SWG for its entire lifespan. TOR is a filler mmo till another good sandbox comes along. I haven't tried the emu yet.

ziso
Novice Crafter

Post by ziso » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 am

Our Guild Unity was already in Lotro as well as SWG so we are there and also we went across to Tor as a guild. Luckily got the same names there. As we were a mixed faction guild in SWG, on Tor we created Unity (Republic) and Dark Unity (imperial). Going well so far, alot of the SWG players have moved across so familier names there and also met many new guildies since then and all 3 sections of the guild are going well.

Miss SWG of course, but i played it non stop since 2005 right to the final log out on the 15th Dec but glad we kept the guild going strong.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:04 pm

ziso wrote:Our Guild Unity was already in Lotro as well as SWG so we are there and also we went across to Tor as a guild. Luckily got the same names there. As we were a mixed faction guild in SWG, on Tor we created Unity (Republic) and Dark Unity (imperial). Going well so far, alot of the SWG players have moved across so familier names there and also met many new guildies since then and all 3 sections of the guild are going well.

Miss SWG of course, but i played it non stop since 2005 right to the final log out on the 15th Dec but glad we kept the guild going strong.
Its strange how we all thought at one point swg would be forever then it closed. Alot I heard went to TOR its the normal move to make. For myself atm I've not found a home yet that I like. TOR has the same similair design as all theme park mmo's.

I am tho waiting for ArcheAge which is beta atm and has all the goodies of a sandbox mmo. I've added a few video's in the (off topic) section.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Well I have moved back to EQ2 and when I am bored with that I play World of Tanks, Vanguard, Pirates of the Burning Sea plus a couple of hours a week I mess around in the SWG-Emu basically it is about messing around with a bunch of old games and rotating through them as I get bored.

I have no intention of playing SW:TOR, I beta-ed it and found it buggy, shallow and rather uninteresting.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 am

hey its good to hear from you Monty. not many people respond anymore to these forums. I've been tempted to go back to EQ2. I've heard EQ2 crafting got a update not to long ago. Alot has changed and I've read that EQ2 is slowly dying and a new EQ3 is being made but it may not carry the EQ3 name. I've seen a a few screenshots of the new EQ3.

Vanguard I've never played and I have pirates of the burning sea but I and thegreywolfe left Savacc hanging in pirates of the burning sea back in 2009 (our bad) I like the crowd here at swgcraft and would like to hook up to a mmo. I'm finished with eve online its to limiting

I don't know what to do at the moment what mmo to play beside ArcheAge.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 am

Memnoc wrote:hey its good to hear from you Monty. not many people respond anymore to these forums. I've been tempted to go back to EQ2. I've heard EQ2 crafting got a update not to long ago. Alot has changed and I've read that EQ2 is slowly dying and a new EQ3 is being made but it may not carry the EQ3 name. I've seen a a few screenshots of the new EQ3.

Vanguard I've never played and I have pirates of the burning sea but I and thegreywolfe left Savacc hanging in pirates of the burning sea back in 2009 (our bad) I like the crowd here at swgcraft and would like to hook up to a mmo. I'm finished with eve online its to limiting

I don't know what to do at the moment what mmo to play beside ArcheAge.
I think the closing of SWG was a bit of a kick in the nuts for a lot of people so it is hard to log in and discuss things when the binding element has been removed however over time people will probably drift back once they have their breath back.

Oddly enough I am enjoying EQ2 at the moment, when I played it before my return to SWG I was in a hardcore raid guild and it completely burnt me out now I am in a casual guild that is part of a raid alliance which means I can play casually and I am really enjoying the relaxing side of the game, I now have 7 level 90 crafters and make a reasonable living from it but it still isn't a patch on SWGs crafting.

I don't know whether EQ2 is dying or not I certainly havent seen a reduction since I came back but since they moved the focus away from Freeport and Qeynos to Guildhalls (which I believe would have been perfect for SWG) you get the impression of less players which may not be the case.

But now that it is free to play it wont cost you anything to take a look. :)

A lot of people seem to like to slag SOE for their business practices but one thing I really like about them is that they stick with games that most other companies would have closed SWG was a good example of that and Vanguard is another I only picked it up because it was part of there Station Pass deal but it isn't that bad of a game, it is a lot like EQ1.

As far as TOR goes it is not the game for me I knew that from the day I downloaded it, some refer to it as a game on rails however that conveys a sense of excitement that I didn't see, to some degree I think of it as more of a conveyor belt game where you just sit there and the game scrolls past you, it lacks the things I love in MMO's which are a social aspect and crafting in any depth.

EQ3 is really my last great hope for MMO's if it fails then I will probably just give up on the genre, in my opinion they have been dumbed down to pointlessness which has culminated in TOR a shallow, soulless, hack and slash where they tried to bluff their way into MMO history by ignoring content for a story.
If I am lucky EQ3 will be a mixture of:
- UO or SWG pre NGE leveling.
- WoWs Quest system.
- SWG Crafting
- DAoC's PvP set up (on release).
- AC2's story line (almost no NPC's) and a destroyed world that needs to be rebuilt.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey guys. When they announced the end of SWG I cancelled my subs (all 3) and just sat and waited to see what I would do next. I got into the beta for SWTOR and actually had a good time with it so i pre-ordered and have been in there since it opened.

I'll agree with you somewhat Monty, SOE did have a good thing going with the Station Pass, but SWTOR is not all bad. Hopefully there will be more content soon then what they have for level 50's, but seeing as I'm on the slow leveling and haven't even hit 50 yet, I'm not terribly concerned yet.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:07 am

For sure swg was the best mmo I've played the craft and home part I liked best. But I knew from foresight they were planning to close swg. I week or two after the nasty NGE LA contacted Bioware and Bioware moved to there new office in Texas and there new secret mmo project .As well SOE stopped making expansions for swg around the same time as the NGE.

Everything pointed towards the end then when Bioware announced they were making a new starwars mmo it was a done deal.

That's a good idea Monty I will take a look at EQ2 its been 3 years since I've played can you transfer your character to the free servers. Plus I'm going to take a look at Pirates of the burning sea.

Since I'm not playing Eve I've been just hanging out playing skyrim

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 am

EQ2 is now free to play? I had not heard that. Most of my rl friends that started playing SWG when it first came out, left for EQ2, but I was too enthralled with SWG at the time, so I never tried EQ2.

PotBS has been FTP for about a year now. I came back when it first went FTP, but have been away for about 6 months. I keep checking their forums and may go back sometime. :roll:

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 am

Savacc wrote:EQ2 is now free to play? I had not heard that. Most of my rl friends that started playing SWG when it first came out, left for EQ2, but I was too enthralled with SWG at the time, so I never tried EQ2.

PotBS has been FTP for about a year now. I came back when it first went FTP, but have been away for about 6 months. I keep checking their forums and may go back sometime. :roll:
Yep EQ2 now pretty much follows the LoTRO type F2P, I like EQ2 I think it has the best interface of any game I have played but crafting is still pretty basic.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Yeah EQ2 has a good interface for the age of the game. I still haven't found anything to play. Even PC games are getting lame with 20 hours of game play from start to finish. I've been tempted to try Lord of the Rings but I'm not sure.

What is everyone playing and doing. I'll probley just end up playing ArcheAge when it comes to NA

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes well it appears EQ2 is pulling an NGE with this region blocking idea so I may be back playing LoTRO myself, good thing I purchased a lifetime account.

:)

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 am

Monty Burns wrote:Yes well it appears EQ2 is pulling an NGE with this region blocking idea so I may be back playing LoTRO myself, good thing I purchased a lifetime account.

:)
I think I'll do the LoTR and install it this weeked and give it a go. When I was with EQ2 that I started playing since launched I was on blackburrow server guild The Brethern. If anyone has an interest in Guild wars 2 beta here's the link. The open beta closes Friday sometime

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

PS: WOW I never suspected SOE would pull another stunt as they did with swg with the nge. I'm on the forums reading all 1243 posts. Has Smed said anything on why SOe is taking this stance.