What is happening in the game while we are locked out?

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

What is happening in the game while we are locked out?

Post by Savacc » Mon May 09, 2011 10:02 pm

What is happening in the game while we are unable to log in?

Simple answer: Nothing

Long answer: I have decided to write this because many people have questions and there is a lot of misinformation, speculation and zero response from SOE on this issue. First a disclaimer. I do not work for, have any affiliation, speak for, nor have anything to do with SOE or LA. I am just a player and fan, like you. I do have a lot of experience in the game, having played since launch and been heavily involved in this site and the previous SWGCraft. Everything I am about to offer is only my opinion, based on my observations of how the game works.

Does the game keep going on while we are locked out of it?
No. The game is shut down. While it is shut down nothing is happening in it. This is not the first time the game has ever been shut down, in fact it is a common and regular occurrence. It has just never lasted more then a few days before.

What is happening to my Harvesters? Are the Hoppers full and my maintenance and power depleted?
No. While the game is shut down your harvesters have shut down too. They are not continuing to gather resources, nor are they using maintenance and power.

But SWGAide says my hoppers are full and maintenance and power gone?
The game servers run on "server time". All calculations for filling the hopper, using up power and maintenance are determined by elapsed "server time". SWGAide, and the rest of us, run on "real time". While the server is down, "server time" does not advance, but "real time" does. For the most part we just put up with the discrepancies in "server time" and "real time", because the servers are usually only down an hour or two.

What about Resource Spawns? Are resources going away and new ones appearing that we don't know about?
No. The resource spawns run on "server time" too. The same resources will be there when the servers start up and they will last the same number of "server days" they are supposed to. And before you ask, SWGCraft runs on "real time", so the "Current Resources" page is all screwed up right now.

What about Factories, houses and Vendors?
Same story. Nothing is being produced, no power or maintenance used and no time in stockrooms or sales are ticking off.

Macros, Combat lockout timers, anything else in the game that happens over time?
While the servers are down, time stands still.

Any chance you are wrong about all this?
Well, yes, but I really don't think so. What I am telling you is what has happened in every other server shutdown. That is all I can go by.

Any chance someone from SOE will confirm this so we know for sure?
That would be real nice if they did.

Sobuno
Developer

Re: What is happening in the game while we are locked out?

Post by Sobuno » Mon May 09, 2011 11:04 pm

I've disabled the auto-despawn after 30 days in order to give you guys a chance to use Current Resources part of the site once the SWG servers come back up.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Savacc wrote:...
Any chance you are wrong about all this?
Well, yes, but I really don't think so. What I am telling you is what has happened in every other server shutdown. That is all I can go by. ...
Savacc is NEVER wrong 8)
And if he is wrong about this item we must flood SOE customer service with tickets for an instant rollback to the time they shut down access to the games. It is possible that SOE is running tests and stuff but that should not sum up to more than less than half a "real time" day or so, but I guess we would-have-to/could accept anything less than a day, right?

A great write-up Savacc :D

ziso
Novice Crafter

Post by ziso » Tue May 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks Savacc

The vendors issue was my biggest worry as we have around 350+ in our city