SWG times out, forums down.

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: SWG times out, forums down.

Post by Savacc » Tue May 03, 2011 11:18 pm

There is every indication, that resource spawns, harvesters, factories, etc. run on "server time" and not actual time. So while the servers are down, literally nothing is happening in the game and everything will start up again when the servers do. You do not need to worry that that awesome spawn of gemstone will go away while the servers are down. It will still be there.

Just a note, this site, SWGCraft, does use "actual time" on the "Current Resources" pages for listing how long a resource has been in spawn. So when the servers start up again, we are going to see some whacky times on spawn lengths. :shock:

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue May 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Savacc wrote:Just a note, this site, SWGCraft, does use "actual time" on the "Current Resources" pages for listing how long a resource has been in spawn. So when the servers start up again, we are going to see some whacky times on spawn lengths. :shock:
There goes those somewhat accurate statistics...

(I did wonder why only 20 resources or so was added on the 2th of May when I was fixing some, coincidentally, time-related bug.... When did the servers go down?)

bigwacka
Novice Crafter

Post by bigwacka » Wed May 04, 2011 12:28 am

I was wondering what was going to happen to my moisture vaps that I had down but you have answered my question.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed May 04, 2011 4:35 am

bigwacka wrote:I was wondering what was going to happen to my moisture vaps that I had down but you have answered my question.
Right, several years ago, someone did some actual testing and discovered that their harvesters ran for 35 min after they were logged off and before they could log on again. (the shutdown was several hours). Apparently the game is shut down and restarted in phases.

Diggity
Novice Crafter

Post by Diggity » Wed May 04, 2011 6:04 am

I, for one, am having some serious withdrawal issues. :) I was on that SS musty gem spawn as well, with 2 characters... I must have 2 mil units by now! :P

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Savacc is correct, as always, when the servers are down eveything is hibernated except for some time from server restart until SOE opens the login-server (or maybe until SWG is 100% loaded).

However, occasionally we have seen weird things happen to resources during/after server-downtimes. I wouldn't guarantee that this great resource is around as if nothing have happened so don't cheer too much before you count the result. But if the backend servers truly are down and not up but unreachable... :D

Fingers crossed
Zimoon

Azural
Novice Crafter

Post by Azural » Wed May 04, 2011 6:09 pm

3rd day into this outage, must be some serious work going on at SOE. :o
Azural Industries :AI: Mos Carova, Tatooine. Starsider

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Azural wrote:3rd day into this outage, must be some serious work going on at SOE. :o
First I think SOE is not that small a network but they probably have hundreds of servers. I'd better see they go through them and ensure there is no rootkits or the similar that have infected a few where nobody least expects it and can start this all over again. But they also need to change a lot of stuff so that the landscape looks differently if the intruder comes back a second time, and he will, they always want to prove how "clever" they are. Finally they need to convert and transfer loads of stuff into other formats and other applications, both to make it harder for possible crackers but also to validate and verify data integrity, and possibly rollback some data to a safe point in time -- hopefully not games as such but anything customer-data.

But for sure, it is sad, I wanna play and chill out :(

Diggity
Novice Crafter

Post by Diggity » Wed May 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes, I know when the servers are down that gametime effectively stands still... i belive that includes some of the lockout timers for different thing ingame as well... I am just very fond of
"the humor of willfull ignorance."

I just read that many of the features of the PSN network were back up, so I tried a station login which was unsuccessful. I did get a slightly different result, though. Yesterday and the day before, the station login response was something like, "invalid login type," now it is "Your login attempt has failed: Server Timeout." Im taking that as a sign they are at least some of the login connections and protocols are being tentatively brought back up.

http://theworldgadget.com/gadget/games/ ... linae.html

Azural
Novice Crafter

Post by Azural » Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Zimoon, based upon your occupation information you have a much better understanding than I as to the extent of work SOE is currently undertaking. I'm sure they have everyone working on the issue right now as it is a great loss in revenue for them.

/ImissSWG :(

p.s. If they do a rollback I hope it's not too far back. I got a legendary loot chest about a day and a half prior to the lockdown. /sigh

ReilaBM
Novice Crafter

Post by ReilaBM » Wed May 04, 2011 8:12 pm

*sits around pouting* This and the guild forum are the only outlets for ranting. Can't even riot on the official forums.

And rollbacks, don't scare me with that noise. I had been handsampling, placing harvesters on that Thoranium Steel, and restocking most of my vendors in the last day before shutdown.

Treadstone
Novice Crafter

Post by Treadstone » Wed May 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Recent Updates - May 4, 2011

When will SOE's services be back online?

We have been working around the clock to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some of our games and services up and running soon. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we believe that the network is secure.

How is the SOE intrusion related to the PSN/Qriocity intrusion? Was this a second attack on SOE?

While the two systems are distinct and operated separately, given that they are both under the Sony umbrella, there is some degree of overlap in design. The attacks were similar in nature. This is NOT a second attack; new information has been discovered as part of our ongoing investigation into the criminal attack in April.

How is SOE planning to notify customers whose data may have been stolen?

We are sending out customer service notification emails to the email addresses we have on file for the accounts that were affected. These emails will be sent by Innovyx, our third party email distributor, and contained either 'soe.innovyx.net' or 'soe.sony.com' in the sender field.

SOE initially thought no data was extracted, what changed?

Essentially the perpetrators used sophisticated means not only to access the data, but also to cover their tracks. We committed to continue the investigation and in doing so, uncovered further information that we did not have when we initially believed the data was not stolen.

Treadstone
Novice Crafter

Post by Treadstone » Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 pm

For what it's worth I read it's speculated from a source it would be Friday at the earliest.

Azural
Novice Crafter

Post by Azural » Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm

When something like this occurs, especially to a company as large SOE, is it the work of one hacker or does it literally require a “team” of people to pull off?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Azural wrote:When something like this occurs, especially to a company as large SOE, is it the work of one hacker or does it literally require a “team” of people to pull off?
One cracker is enough if he is skilled enough, but that fact does not say that it was not a team of criminal nature.

A weakly protected network, or one that is protected but by something having known flaws, can be breached through by a script-kiddie that cannot tell apart his network card from the graphics card 8)