SWG account Hacked

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

tanooshman
Novice Crafter

SWG account Hacked

Post by tanooshman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:37 pm

:cry: :cry: When I returned to SWG last night (1/5/2010) to put down harvesters, I discovered my crafter chars at the bank, and all money gone.

Has anyone else suffered this? I do NOT share my accounts, and have NEVER given my password to anyone ever period altogether.

I'm disinclined to suspect a Key-logger, since we don't key our passwords into the launcher except at setup (long long ago) ALTHOUGH (shamefacedly) I admit I used the same password for SWGcraft as I did for my SWG account.

I'm awaiting Customer service to open for business, to follow up on the ticket I posted last night.

note: I was trying to put the smiley on the subject line..... sigh....

Sobuno
Developer

Re: SWG account Hacked

Post by Sobuno » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

The passwords on here are stored as hashes (Basically one-way encryption), which means they shouldn't have been able to get the password from us (Well, unless you have a weak password, in which case a rainbow table could have been used). If the path of entry was indeed SWGCraft, it is more likely that the password was intercepted en-route to us upon your initial login. At that point, the password is sent unencrypted from your computer through a number of points till it reaches our server (This is not a situation unique to us, basically any site with login functionality without SSL-encryption (https in the URL instead of http) works this way in the initial handshake). It could have been intercepted at any of these points by a rogue 3rd party... Though this theory is also unlikely as I doubt anyone would go to such lengths for a SWG password.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

tanooshman wrote::cry: :cry: When I returned to SWG last night (1/5/2010) to put down harvesters, I discovered my crafter chars at the bank, and all money gone.

Has anyone else suffered this? I do NOT share my accounts, and have NEVER given my password to anyone ever period altogether.

I'm disinclined to suspect a Key-logger, since we don't key our passwords into the launcher except at setup (long long ago) ALTHOUGH (shamefacedly) I admit I used the same password for SWGcraft as I did for my SWG account.

I'm awaiting Customer service to open for business, to follow up on the ticket I posted last night.

There has been a rash of hacking going on lately, I had my LOTRO account hacked and I know several others who had exactly the same thing happen in various games from EQ2, LOTRO, SWG, WOW and UO.
I get the impression that this is a "professional" setup as they have used the same system in each case...
1) The account email was changed to prevent recovery.
2) The account password was changed.
3) Only gold/credits etc. was taken, no damage to the character or items on the character.
4) The password was changed back.
5) They disappear.

If I was a betting man I would suggest it is the new gold farming method to feed gold selling sites.
I am also leaning towards it being an email hack of some type.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:06 am

Passwords can of cource be intercepted en route, but that is unlikely because of several technical reasons.

Non-encrypted wireless networks are bad.

Hacking sites is a goldmine of course.

Having the user to install something that contains a trojan that is a keylogger surpasses any kind of encryption between a site and the PC as it logs they key strokes as-is and sends them whenever to somewhere.

I must admit I use the same password for some uses too, but never for stuff I care about and never a weak passwords.

I really hope everything turn out OK for you and that the GMs nail the thieves. Eternal force suffocation ain't easy enough on that scum :(

/Zimoon

tanooshman
Novice Crafter

Post by tanooshman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:41 pm

I Am restored Economically - but NOT emotionally. Darn, another reason to drink.....

I am grateful for the responses to my exclamation. DOUBTFUL a key-logger is the culprit, using the windows online keyboard to key passwords - When I key them. Wasn't leaning to password being intercepted through SWGCraft, but rather, scurrilous types trolling for names.

There can be little doubt this kind of theft is a source of credits for credit sellers. My credits were emailed in game to a player name. 38 emails on my main, 28 on my alt. all to the same name. All funds restored.

I will not be disquieted should I hear someone complain the credits they bought from sly.com were retracted! (that was just the last gold-spammer I saw).

My WoW account was hacked a few years ago as well. I got the security FOB as soon as I heard about it. Interestingly, Denmark has implemented a security device for all internet access recently - across the board! You can't get online without one (so my father-in-law tells me).

Thanks again for the supportive responses.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:23 pm

tanooshman wrote:Interestingly, Denmark has implemented a security device for all internet access recently - across the board! You can't get online without one (so my father-in-law tells me)..
I think this is just NemID, the shared login used by sites owned by the governments and some banks. A username/password combination + a keycard with 150 pairs of one-time key-number combinations. Pretty much prevents people from accessing your information online unless they have access to the keycard somehow.

Probably similar to World of Warcraft's authenticator system.

So it's not something used to help keep you safe on the majority of the internet, just the few run by the government. Otherwise, I am interested in what this device your father-in-law is talking about as I have not heard mention of it.

Source: I live in Denmark

tanooshman
Novice Crafter

Post by tanooshman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Wouldn't be the first time my Father-in-law spoke over-large. But in fairness he's 82 and all things computer are magic.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:22 pm

tanooshman wrote:Wouldn't be the first time my Father-in-law spoke over-large. But in fairness he's 82 and all things computer are magic.
Probably NemID then as I think it hit the news/they had commercials for it and what not :)

Kerrn
Novice Crafter

Post by Kerrn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 am

One of my swg accounts had been hacked during my time away from that account. I discovered through my in game email that bank transfers had been made, lots of them. The kind of transfers that might happen if someone were using credit farmers. The names looked like the generated names you get when setting up your toons, not something made up. Which is what credit farmers usually do. So have credit farmers resorted to hacking accounts?

tanooshman
Novice Crafter

Post by tanooshman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Kerrn wrote:One of my swg accounts had been hacked during my time away from that account. I discovered through my in game email that bank transfers had been made, lots of them. The kind of transfers that might happen if someone were using credit farmers. The names looked like the generated names you get when setting up your toons, not something made up. Which is what credit farmers usually do. So have credit farmers resorted to hacking accounts?

I would say YES! I know of three identical incidents (including mine) - the toon walks to the nearest bank, withdraws all credits, and then sends a sequence of 1mil emails (tips?), and proceeds to the next toon on the account. the toons are left at the bank. no items appear to be transferred. In the three cases I'm aware of, ONE of multiple accounts was affected. not necessarily the richest, nor the most active.

I'm very reluctant to believe it is the result of hacking at the PC level.

On the other hand, it's almost GOOD news that there's enough of player base to make it worthwhile.......

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 pm

It is a process that makes no sense though as the only "safe" way would be to transfer to a trial account since all activities are recorded but I thought they could only have a max of 500k at any one time so to steal large sums of money they would have to transfer to a paid account and that opens the hacker up to all sorts of issues.

tanooshman
Novice Crafter

Post by tanooshman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:19 pm

I suspect "safe" is not a concern, that these transfers are to customers who purchased from one of the spammers and pay when the credits are received. The fact they are henceforth tracked, the money retracted, AND their account closed (presumably) is unimportant. The spammers rely on a delay between the time the money is sent and the chicanery discovered.

On the other hand, I'd be fascinated to understand any other scenario. In my case, the theft was reported within 8 hours of the transfer, and back 48 hours later.

Fireswarm
Novice Crafter

Post by Fireswarm » Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 pm

I had this same thing happen, contacted customer service and they sorted it out for me
had lots of details changed by the hackers, all credits taken via bank transfers as aformention

when I got my account back it was confirmed by the GM that it was stolen by South Korean Credit Farmers
so yes seems like they have resorted to hacking accounts.

dday
Novice Crafter

Post by dday » Tue May 03, 2011 2:37 am

Monty Burns wrote:
tanooshman wrote::cry: :cry: When I returned to SWG last night (1/5/2010) to put down harvesters, I discovered my crafter chars at the bank, and all money gone.

There has been a rash of hacking going on lately, I had my LOTRO account hacked and I know several others who had exactly the same thing happen in various games from EQ2, LOTRO, SWG, WOW and UO.
I get the impression that this is a "professional" setup as they have used the same system in each case...
1) The account email was changed to prevent recovery.
2) The account password was changed.
3) Only gold/credits etc. was taken, no damage to the character or items on the character.
4) The password was changed back.
5) They disappear.

If I was a betting man I would suggest it is the new gold farming method to feed gold selling sites.
I am also leaning towards it being an email hack of some type.

It is interesting that you mention leaning towards an email hack of some type. A year or so ago, there was indeed a way to get access to another player's account, if you had their login name only. I won't go into further detail about how its done, but I was assured by SOE personnel that this was fixed.
Personally, I am leaning more torward a former, disgruntled, employee. Sony recently had performed a company wide restructure. During that process, some people lost their jobs. This just happens to be around the same time the breach occured. I don't think Sony's networks could so easily be compromised except by someone with clear knowledge of the network itself.