Resources and the enhanced Character Transfer Service

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Re: Resources and the enhanced Character Transfer Service

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm

You tried Lord of the Rings online? What was it like?

atox
Apprentice Crafter

Post by atox » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 pm

it was ok. i just ran out of things to do as i dont care much for raiding. i got 4 characters to lvl 50 in 6-9 months. the crafting was a grind fest at best though.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:29 am

Zimoon wrote: This means that this site needs to do nothing, people searching the site just navigate to the correct galaxy.

However, 3rd party applications need to adapt slightly, as for example SWGAide must support the addition of (Galaxy)Name for searches. But that is all I guess.

Good news.

/Zimoon
One thing that might be useful is a way to compare another galaxies resources against your own.

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:41 pm

wrackspurt wrote:Not really understanding this. The real question is why are people hoarding resources for years. Okay, you've got the most incredible resources since before NGE, but you're on a dying server. You're watching it die over a period of time, you're not crafting these resources into anything or trying to sell them off even though you know SOE could possibly not allow you to transfer them and simply kill the server. What would you do if they didn't let you transfer them and simply told you to get off the server, that it was being shut down? Would that force you to start up a new character on a different server or would you simply quit the game?
I think there's a difference between "hoarding old resources in the hopes you can take it with you someday" and "hanging onto old stuff because there's no one to sell it to anyway". The idea is a little insulting really. I suspect most people on dying servers either have support groups there that made it acceptable to stay, or couldn't (or wouldn't, out of principle) afford $50x2 (or more) to move, or have really rerolled already and left alts behind on their old servers with their untransferable/unsalable stuff. Personally I fall into that last group, along with most of my pals. It's certainly not hoarding, it was just the only option other than outright deletion. I already started over, but I'd be a fool not to reclaim what I left behind, now that I can. I earned it, after all.

From the other end: I'm looking forward to transfers bringing their good stuff from other servers and selling it to me! :D
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Since the resource crates now transfer as was promised I am necroing this thread.

Facts:
Resource crates that has been transferred also read the original galaxy name. For example a resource named "Abc" is transferred from Gorath to anywhere else, and it will be renamed to "(Gorath)Abc".

Manufacture schematics that are transferred will get all named resources renamed following the same scheme, they will be renamed each consecutive transfer should a character really do that (paid for after the first free transfer). A manufacture schematic made on Gorath using the above mentioned "Abc" will read at its requirement list: "(Gorath)Abc". Should I move back to Gorath it will once again read "Abc", etc.

Here at SWGCraft nothing has to be made. Resources belong to their original galaxies and since they read their origin users must simply look them up at their original galaxy, no more fancy than that.

If anything is unclear, just go ahead and ask.

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:57 am

That is nifty and all but what happens when someone tries to sell a transferred resource?

Personally I think there should be a way of comparing that resource to the ones that have spawns in the "new" galaxy.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:53 am

Selling is no problem per se, they are not bio-linked or such.

Comparing, uuuhm. The Find Resources feature does not work cross-galaxy but I think nothing has been broken, has it?

Guards/filters in SWGAide already supports comparing between galaxy-current vs. inventory.

/Zimoon