Resources and the enhanced Character Transfer Service

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Re: Resources and the enhanced Character Transfer Service

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Zimoon wrote:Anybody heard any news about vendors?

They said resources and crates, yes. But what about vendors? How much are we going to be allowed to take with us? I searched byiut couldn't find anything from a red name.

/Z
Are you leaving Gorath? Decided where you're going?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:00 pm

wrackspurt wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Anybody heard any news about vendors?

They said resources and crates, yes. But what about vendors? How much are we going to be allowed to take with us? I searched byiut couldn't find anything from a red name.

/Z
Are you leaving Gorath? Decided where you're going?
Yes, but I had decided that before this, since my best friends in game moved to Chimaera for several reasons. So I guess I take this free ride rather than pay for it ;)
/Z

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Sparc wrote:You're missing my point completely. The worst thing about SOEs past miss deeds was poor communication. If, as many seem to think, this is the first step on a road to server consolidation....why do they not just say that? Is there a good reason to hide your intentions if your intentions are pure?

Remember the nerfs to CH and crafting? And then they decided to remove decay and creature handler...why? because there werent as many people playing those professions. Sound familiar? They plan on reducing the population to the lowest possible levels before they force the change on you. That IS the history. And that IS the future most people are predicting.

There are still a great many unknowns and I hope they give a lot more guidance with regard to their decisions....but, this is a poor start. Ideally, I would prefer them to say:

We are closing galaxies X,Y, and Z. The denizens of galaxy Z will get free transfers to galaxy A. Y -> B, and X -> C. That way they could balance them a bit better than a free for all....

Again, if they are planning on closing servers they should be clear and forthcoming. If they are trying to help the people of those galaxies they should not be scared to let those same people know their intentions.
I agree, now is not the time for releasing half truths, cryptic possibilities or "parts" of plans, it is time to bite the bullet and tell us exactly what they intend to do and if that involves merging servers then so be it but I will guarantee you that this process of drip feeding news and leaving it up to player base to speculate the rest is the worst way of handling this imaginable.

If it was me I either:
A) Leave the servers as they are but turn the advanced planets (Endor, Dathomir, Yarvin, Mustafar and Kaskyyyk) into clustered zones.

B) Keep 15 servers and merge the remaining ones into the lowest populated of the remaining servers, no choices or free transfers just a straight merge.

Sparc
Novice Crafter

Post by Sparc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:17 pm

A process of merging server a->b would also be better for resources. Think of it, each server may double its resources.....but allowing a free for all could triple, quadruple or even more the resource databases.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Sparc wrote:A process of merging server a->b would also be better for resources. Think of it, each server may double its resources.....but allowing a free for all could triple, quadruple or even more the resource databases.

Yeah merging would also allow communities to stay together even if they lost their land which would help people returning to the game as well.

Mihall_Agamemnon
Novice Crafter

Post by Mihall_Agamemnon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 pm

I will post here what I've said time and again on the SWG forums, Yes, this is more han likely the first step in a multi stage process of reducing the number of servers. The main problem that SOE has is that they don't know which servers should be the ones to be closed. Yes they have the numbers, but I would be my second suit of Mando that the bottom 10 servers are all wihtin 2-3% of the total population. Giving people on these servers the chance to freely go to a server of thier choice (with some exceptions) is the best way to determine which servers are truely dead and which ones will be able to move up. Now after about 2-3 weeks after the FCTS is finished, they will have a look at the population distribution again and then they will merge the bottom 5-6 servers into one "virgin" server and possibly upgrade the hardware of the rest of the servers at the same time.

Former Munitions Senator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:21 am

Mihall_Agamemnon wrote:I will post here what I've said time and again on the SWG forums, Yes, this is more han likely the first step in a multi stage process of reducing the number of servers. The main problem that SOE has is that they don't know which servers should be the ones to be closed. Yes they have the numbers, but I would be my second suit of Mando that the bottom 10 servers are all wihtin 2-3% of the total population. Giving people on these servers the chance to freely go to a server of thier choice (with some exceptions) is the best way to determine which servers are truely dead and which ones will be able to move up. Now after about 2-3 weeks after the FCTS is finished, they will have a look at the population distribution again and then they will merge the bottom 5-6 servers into one "virgin" server and possibly upgrade the hardware of the rest of the servers at the same time.
I fully agree, this is a good way to both give players the incentive to move "freely" ("freely" with an evil twist), but also find a pattern on how to pursue wit the next steps.

I see people whining (we have whined for years about the low-pop and now whine when SOE does something :? ) about why not merge, and these dudes compare with other games that have done that. How many other sandboxed games have done that? How many other games allow for structures and city-building? Not many!

This is a good way to get people to pull up their houses and become immigrants elsewhere. Not fun, but OK. Thanks for a good post MA.

/Zimoon

Dea
Novice Crafter

Post by Dea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm

I don't mind packing up and moving to another server. If they do free transfers I'll be doing it. I have one lonely toon I just don't play because the server is mostly dead, and it's just lonely.

I can see how guilds that have carefully set up cities would have the hardest time, but then there is always a chance to relocate and start over again. Setting up house is fun for me, LOL. I sometimes move to another planet with my friends just because.

It's too bad they (SOE) couldn't do some kind of poll on the light servers, and find out what the players think. They still would do what they had to do, but I think it help if the players felt they had some kind of input.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:56 pm

Dea wrote:I don't mind packing up and moving to another server. If they do free transfers I'll be doing it. I have one lonely toon I just don't play because the server is mostly dead, and it's just lonely.

I can see how guilds that have carefully set up cities would have the hardest time, but then there is always a chance to relocate and start over again. Setting up house is fun for me, LOL. I sometimes move to another planet with my friends just because.

It's too bad they (SOE) couldn't do some kind of poll on the light servers, and find out what the players think. They still would do what they had to do, but I think it help if the players felt they had some kind of input.
I don't think it'll be that bad for the large guilds with nice cities. They would be more likely to have players on at move to place the new city halls to start in the same spot again.

Personally, I think it would be great to get the servers merged and better pop counts on only a few servers. I know that sucks for many folks that prefer to play by themselves and not socialize, but for the majority it'll be great. There would also be a good chance for a lot of folks that stopped playing to come back for a move to a populated server.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:59 pm

From the patch notes for Chapter 11:
Resource crates now transfer. An "imported" resource crate will be uniquely identified on the foreign galaxy by having the originating galaxy name in front of the resource name, like (Europe-Chimaera)Arou. "Imported" resources are not available from the 30K resource deed veteran reward. Recycled resources (like homogenized milk, processed meat, processed seafood, ground bones, smelted copper, etc.), because they are the same on all the galaxies, will be converted to the corresponding native recycled resource of the destination galaxy.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Sobuno wrote:From the patch notes for Chapter 11:
Resource crates now transfer. An "imported" resource crate will be uniquely identified on the foreign galaxy by having the originating galaxy name in front of the resource name, like (Europe-Chimaera)Arou. "Imported" resources are not available from the 30K resource deed veteran reward. Recycled resources (like homogenized milk, processed meat, processed seafood, ground bones, smelted copper, etc.), because they are the same on all the galaxies, will be converted to the corresponding native recycled resource of the destination galaxy.
This means that this site needs to do nothing, people searching the site just navigate to the correct galaxy.

However, 3rd party applications need to adapt slightly, as for example SWGAide must support the addition of (Galaxy)Name for searches. But that is all I guess.

Good news.

/Zimoon

randbo
Novice Crafter

Post by randbo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:13 am

you guys are all over the map on an issue thats no big deal. dont change the database. keep the ORIGINAL spawning servers as is. the transferred resource will never spawn on the new server so then, so what on the database. the only problem will be similar named resources for schematics. SO GO MAKE NEW SCHEMATICS. i dont have many old schematics on hand. i delete them.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 pm

randbo wrote:you guys are all over the map on an issue thats no big deal. dont change the database. keep the ORIGINAL spawning servers as is. the transferred resource will never spawn on the new server so then, so what on the database. the only problem will be similar named resources for schematics. SO GO MAKE NEW SCHEMATICS. i dont have many old schematics on hand. i delete them.
Which post did you respond to? I do not recognize me in anything you wrote about here, or should I? Using "QUOTE" is a good practise when replying to a particular post.

Read my post immediately above yours and see my conclusion which seems to be aligned with the developers' solution. Which is 'don't do anything'.

/Zimoon

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Not really understanding this. The real question is why are people hoarding resources for years. Okay, you've got the most incredible resources since before NGE, but you're on a dying server. You're watching it die over a period of time, you're not crafting these resources into anything or trying to sell them off even though you know SOE could possibly not allow you to transfer them and simply kill the server. What would you do if they didn't let you transfer them and simply told you to get off the server, that it was being shut down? Would that force you to start up a new character on a different server or would you simply quit the game?

atox
Apprentice Crafter

Post by atox » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 pm

ive been hoarding some resources since before the dreaded assinine c.u. not sure why, just am. if they're the best i have then i use them to craft for my wife and myself. the only resources ive ever sold was lokian wild wheat. and some bird meat long ago. i spent a week killing little birds cuz someone was offering 125cr per unit. i usually gave or traded them with another crafter i was freinds with. if sony wouldnt allow me to transfer my resources i would probably stay put. if i was forced to transfer and lost my resources i would probably keep playing. theres something about finding a resource way better than what you have on hand. id just go back to putting up weekly derogatory sony comments on my house sign :) now if they changed crafting to be like wow, lotro, eq2 etc, then id quit.