SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Comments on the latest news about crafting and Star Wars Galaxies.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Gawo
Novice Crafter

Re: SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Post by Gawo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 am

Edited and repost from: Flurry Market News

Asteroid to Come Close to the Earth Monday

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/astron ... nday-1.asp

Jun 25, 2011; 5:02 AM ET

On Monday, around 1:00 PM EDT, Asteroid 2011 MD is expected to pass less than 8,000 miles from Earth. The asteroid is expected to be able to be viewed in parts of the Southern Hemisphere, including some of Antarctica, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The asteroid was first spotted by the Lincoln Near-Earth Research Project on June 22.

Experts says there is no chance that the asteroid will hit Earth on this approach, and almost no risk at its next close approach in 2022. If the asteroid did strike, it would probably explode in the upper atmosphere and would harmless to us here on the surface of Earth.

This may be the largest known asteroid to approach this close to Earth, but we have only been monitoring close asteroid passes since the the 1990's. Without a doubt, asteroids as large or larger have passed this close or closer before then.

The asteroid will be very hard to observe after its closest approach, since it's departing more or less toward the Sun.

That was accuweather. Now to Space.com for more on this story:

An asteroid the size of a tour bus will fly past Earth today (June 27) so closely it will be beneath some of the planet's satellites.
http://www.space.com/12086-asteroid-201 ... h-pictures

The rock, named asteroid 2011 MD will zoom by just 7,500 miles (12,000 km) above the planet, making a sharp turn forced by Earth's gravity before winging off into space again. The flyby will occur at about 1 p.m. EDT (1700 GMT).

There is no risk of an impact, NASA scientists said. The space rock, estimated to be between 29 to 98 feet (9 to 30 meters) wide, is likely too small to survive a plunge through our atmosphere anyway. An asteroid this size, if it were mostly stony, would break apart and burn up before hitting the surface. Iron-heavy space rocks are better at surviving the fiery entry, however.

Just tring bring things back to earth with event in-game. Just give you something to think about.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:09 am

Savacc wrote:Well that sucks :(
This was my initial reaction to hearing the news. Yes I read it here, rather then in game or on the SOE forums. I wanted to wait a few days before commenting fully.
Star Wars Galaxies was my first MMORPG. It was like falling in love for the first time, something special that can never be repeated. I preordered the game and went down to my local game store early to buy it. We couldnt play it the first day, SOE started screwing up from launch, :roll: but got on the next day. I was blown away. The immersion into the the Star Wars universe was total for me.

The things I think SWG got right:
1) The Star Wars Experience.
Over all they got this right. When you first stand on the sands of Tatooine and watch the twin setting suns, and that music swells behind you, you know you are playing Star Wars. The grand streets of Thead, the swamps of Rori, the forests of Endor to the lava pools of Mustafar, The spectacle of this game just works. The "big sandbox" of the game to play in is it's greatest strength. I dont see another game that even comes close. Some of the particulars of the Star Wars experience I think they messed up on, but Ill get to that later.

2) The Pioneering, or World Building aspect (Player Housing)
One of the first epiphanies I experienced in the game was when I first saw a player house sitting out in the wilderness. I was struck that here a player was homesteading, trying to build a civilization where none had existed before. I knew that this was something I had to be a part of. I didnt want to just frolic and play in this world, I wanted to help build and shape it, make something that would last, have something I could point to and say, "This is my contribution to the game." This was a powerful thing, for a game company to let its players have a hand in shaping the world they play in. It saddens me that no other game is even trying to do the same. :(

3) Crafting
Simply, this game has the best crafting ever. It has never been perfect, there are many flaws and bugs, but it has no equal. In concept, crafting is simple - you toss some resources in a crafting tool, push the button and out pops a product. The complexities come with trying to make a better product. And oh how we have come to love those complexities. :D Every other game makes two mistakes, one is to make crafting a secondary profession available to all players, which leads to, two, the dumbing down of crafting. For another game to take on the crafting mantle of SWG, they have to allow a crafting only, or primary crafting profession, with content and complexity that will be beyond what their ordinary player base will be willing to learn.

4) The original skill based system.
It may have been too ambitious with tons of broken skills that never worked right, but I loved it. I loved that I had total control over my character and could make it whatever I wanted it to be. I loved the customization and tinkering of my skills. I hated being forced into one of nine "iconic" character classes.

What SWG did wrong:
1) They released the game before it was ready.
They needed to wait till they had vehicles and space combat ready. They needed a better combat system to start.

2) The particulars of the Star Wars Experience.
They never got smugglers right. Everyone wanted to be Han Solo and have a cargo ship that ran past imperial blockades. SWG never delivered and it seems they could have if they had worked on it.
They never got droids right. R2 and C3PO were so intrical to all the movies that droids needed to be a bigger part of SWG. I once heard a dev say that droids should have been a "PC race". I am not sure that would have been the answer, I think playing a droid would be kind of limiting, but something needed to be done to with droids.
They never got Jedi right. I wish the devs had the courage to say that Jedi dont belong as a PC class in this timeline and the only Jedi will be NPCs, but they never did. If you have to have Jedi (and you probably do) then the NGE was the best idea, where Jedi are just another combat class, no better then any other. Except that is not Star Wars. Jedi are special in Star Wars. But how do you have a "balanced" MMO with Jedi characters beyond the reach of your casual gamer?

3) Use a sledge hammer where only a hammer and chisel were necessary.
Combat in the Pre CU game was broken. Things needed to be fixed. Doctor buffs were out of control, armor and guns that couldnt be used without the buffs was ridiculous. But the CU went way too far. Then there was the NGE, a disaster on par with the Edsel or New Coke.

4) Shut down the game in December.
Why?

Treadstone
Novice Crafter

Post by Treadstone » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:48 am

I think you hit the nail on the head. The one thing I tend to disagree with, though Smedley said the same thing, was the release of ground and space combat together. To me the game when released was complex enough just learning the ropes of the ground game and profession mixing and matching. I wonder if combining the ground and space games wouldn't have been too much for a lot of people initially, causing them to feel overwhelmed. It's not like there was a lot of documentation on this. You had to figure out a lot of it on your own, or wait until someone else did. That said you could also argue if the combat system was finished and more refined at launch it might not have been such an issue. It is unfortunate the combat system wasn't up to par initially, but it never bothered me space came later. There was plenty of game to figure out and explore while waiting for it.

I will add one more thing to your list of 'wrongs' if I may. Introduction of the Jedi class. I only recently found out that marked the first real hiccup in subscribers, which floored me. I remember not liking the idea, I thought it was a total disregard for the story, and I thought it would present a lot of balancing issues, but among my guildies and friends I was in the minority.

They did a lot right. They did a lot wrong. Eight years of on-and-off fun for me. It will take a while before I realize it's truly gone.

Edra
Novice Crafter

Post by Edra » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:24 pm

It's sad to see such a wonderful sandbox game like SWG shutdown. I've been with this game since beta 1 back in 2002. The community this game has is just amazing. I cant say enough for what sites like this one, swgpets, huntersguild/junkyard, and tools like swgaide have done to help the community.

As for myself, I will play the game til the end. I've been pretty busy in RL over the past couple of weeks, but I will continue to update swgcraft for my server, Bria.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm still in a state of "shock and disbelief".

My city, my crafters and the rest of my characters will live on until the end. My sadness with what's to come will not overwhelm my enjoyment of the few months we have left in this game. Everyone here has contributed to this game we've loved for years, months, days. And they won't be forgotten.

Perhaps one of these days I will be able to fully articulate. But for now I'm going to paste something I posted on the Lucas Arts forums last week. However let me preface it with the fact that I will be here til the end, fighting for us crafters and hoping for some attention for us all.

My "love affair" with the Star Wars universe began one sunny day back in 1977. I remember the hype, the genre-breaking effects, the pure awe. I personally watched the dawn of a new era. Even as a teenager, I knew it was something important. And later I would (and continue to) reflect over and over on how much that movie shaped and changed our world--not just the movie world, but many other aspects of our lives.

Flash forward to 2003.

Having seen every movie in the theatre during their first runs (in fact, all but the first one I saw on opening day), I lept at the chance to live my own Star Wars adventure through SWG.

And flash forward to today.

Games and lives change, but over the past eight years there has been one constant for me. And that would be the virtual arena that is SWG.

I have lived parts of my dreams. I have met some wonderful people with common interests (for some it's not just in-game, but physically met as well). People I will consider close friends for the rest of my life.

I have been a part of something incredible.

And I cannot fathom why that needs to end. I'm another who intended to play "both" games. LA would have gotten more money from me. And now they will get less. In fact, after September they may get none.

There are a couple things that the marketing and legal people within Lucas Arts fail to take into account. First is the fact that SWG caters to multiple target markets that ToR never will. As a forty-something female gamer, I know am in the minority as to my variety of interests. I do enjoy combat-related games. But most of my counter-parts want something different. And ToR does not endear itself to those target audiences. These are the people who play SWG for the sandbox. Things like the ability to actually PLAY and enjoy in-game non-combat roles such as crafting and entertaining. The myriad of tools available to the avid role-player.

The second fact is many of us who have continued to play SWG do so to live our own adventures. We want to play in the era we grew up with. In my first few days in-game, a good friend delegated Imperial faction points to me. Prior to that I certainly never saw myself as loyal to the empire lol. Since then, I most definitely have been and can't imagine things being any other way. I get goosebumps every time I hear the Imperial March--in and out of game.

But whether rebel or imperial or neutral, one thing is certain. After December 15th, no one will be able to play a storm trooper. No one will be able to fight or hide from a storm trooper.

So here's to bad corporate decisions. Here's to lost marketing opportunities. Here's to alienating some of the people who matter most to the entire Star Wars brand.

We are those who've spent our lives growing alongside it. We are the mothers, the grandmothers, the sisters and more. And we are some of the ones this decision hurts the most.

-
Susan (aka 0nyx)
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:26 am

Sobuno wrote:
Taonite wrote:
Sobuno wrote:
The most likely answer is, as with many other things, LucasArts. They're rather protective of their IP (Intellectual Property) and just handing it over to someone for free is not going to happen, ever.
But what's the difference really?
There is no difference between making an emulator now or making one then. The reason they are not going after the EMU guys is because a) they do not use modified clients or servers; the client is the same one as from Publish 13 or something like that, and the server software is written from the ground up, using packet sniffing and guess-work to figure out how it is supposed to work. Thus, technically, the EMU guys have done nothing wrong, and b) they started creating the emulator 5,5 years ago and they still aren't close to finishing.

(I followed SWGEmu quite closely in the beginning, I even have their first public alpha release lying around somewhere. I stopped checking their site a few years ago, but have kept up through various people asking us to support emulator servers here on SWGCraft)
You're kinda missing the point.

SOE chose not to go after the EMU. Could they? Sure. But it might have been somewhat messy.

LA on the other hand, is a totally different story.

The EMU uses the Star Wars IP in an unauthorized way. And most definitely illegally. Just because LA has ignored them up until now doesn't mean they will continue to do so. Legally, they could get it shut down in a heartbeat. Will they? That is a question I cannot answer.

Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:41 am

I am no lawyer but I have learned one thing throughout my life...
  • Assuming LA knew about EMU but did not initiate a hunt on it in one way or the other then the case is thinned out over time and a court may very well just drop it with a slap in LA's face. Only if they can prove that they initiated a pursuit they have a strong case, if they failed their attempts they must prove that they never stopped trying. What the result is, this many years after they should have begun acting, that is still to discern.

However, if they never knew about the EMU (unlikely) a court may reason very differently, but I guess a judge would think of the many years that have passed.

This is a very important thing for all companies and how to protect their trademarks and brands, never let anything slip and never water it down by one's own foolish mistakes.
On the other hand, depending on where the server is located and if it is even possible to get hold of a "responsible" individual is different animal.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Except in this case, it's a clear violation of copyright. A judge might not reward damages, but the ownership and rights of LA as the sole authorizing entity of how the Star Wars material is to be used would not be in question.

Look at it this way, LA/LEC is now going so far as to eliminate an entire revenue stream by shutting down SWG in order to push their newest product. Six years ago, they let the EMU slide--probably because it wasn't much of a threat to their priorities.

However now the situation is entirely different. SWG was still making a profit for LA at the time of the announcement. Despite that LA/LEC declined to renew SOE's paid licensing, which they have every right to do. Do we really think that they are unlikely to now go after a group who's going against LA's current agenda?

I can see reasons why they are more likely to do it now, and I can also see reasons why they might continue to let it slide. The fact that they are actually shutting down a profitable game though, still boggles my mind.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Onyx wrote:Except in this case, it's a clear violation of copyright. A judge might not reward damages, but the ownership and rights of LA as the sole authorizing entity of how the Star Wars material is to be used would not be in question.
You are correct. They ofc own the IP.

Look at it this way, LA/LEC is now going so far as to eliminate an entire revenue stream by shutting down SWG in order to push their newest product. Six years ago, they let the EMU slide--probably because it wasn't much of a threat to their priorities.

However now the situation is entirely different. SWG was still making a profit for LA at the time of the announcement. Despite that LA/LEC declined to renew SOE's paid licensing, which they have every right to do. Do we really think that they are unlikely to now go after a group who's going against LA's current agenda?

I can see reasons why they are more likely to do it now, and I can also see reasons why they might continue to let it slide. The fact that they are actually shutting down a profitable game though, still boggles my mind.
and mine as well, certainly so as the two does not really compete.

aen.naftah
Novice Crafter

Post by aen.naftah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 am

Talking of which... wouldn't this site support Emu craft and res as well? Liberator is swarming with people, I bet a good part of them surveyors and crafters.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:45 pm

aen.naftah wrote:Talking of which... wouldn't this site support Emu craft and res as well? Liberator is swarming with people, I bet a good part of them surveyors and crafters.
It has not been decided what will happen to the site after the official game shuts down.

kelrizzo
Novice Crafter

Post by kelrizzo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 am

You folks are mistaken.

The code being used for the server is their own code. They are not ripping off anyone for that code. The client side contains the IP and is on our purchased discs which is our license to make use of it. Packets that are reverse engineered to examine are public domain. Finally no one is making money off this, it's not a for profit operation.

There are a dozen well written posts over there about this project, check them out, then roll a toon. I hope to see some of you folks over there! :)

Kelrizzo

gosh
Novice Crafter

Post by gosh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 pm

I could make a post about how bummed I am about all of this - but so many people have said it better than me.

I could make a post about how pissed I am that once again it feels like SOE is pissing on the few players that have supported this game while SOE seemed to do everything in their power to kill it - but then I'd just come off as all angry nerdrage.

So instead, I want to use this time to quickly plead the case of swgcraft rolling over to supporting an emu once the official servers go dead: the emu is on this side of the legal line in most cases as-is, and once the official game goes dark the whole abandonware argument comes into play and makes the whole thing even more confusing. And really, the possibility of LA going after the emu scene after all these years (and they've been fully aware of it for years) is slim to none, especially when there is no longer a paid version of the game available, and nobody makes money off the emu. Blah blah blah internet lawyering.... The bottom line: SWGCraft has been a lynch pin in the swg trader community, period, end of paragraph. Especially in the last couple of years when all the other SWG-related sites started disappearing, SWGCraft has been the only real option. If you guys decide not to support an emu, what's left of the trader community may just die off, and that would suck.

I'm being incredibly selfish in my wants I know... Playing my trader, building crap, roaming around and space lazers are the only things I've given a damn about in this game for years, and I plan on doing that from time to time after the official servers go dark, and I have no idea how I would accomplish that without this site >.<

<3 swgcraft
Dimon Exi Master SW/GE Gosh Krux Master Mando
Phlimey Ogatoo Master Chef/Tailor Samirah Lightmist Noob Medic
Fanntom Monstar Master Munitions Niivah Notion Master Entertainer
Rawrgle Flakes Master DE Krushim Noob BH/BM

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm

There are three reasons why SWG needed SWGCraft. The first was resource reporting. SWGCraft has always been primarily THE PLACE to come to find out what resources are spawning in the game. This service is so essential, I always wondered why SOE didnt do it themselves and left it to us. The second was to be a place where players could, together, try to figure out how the game works. The early pioneer in this was a player known as Lunariel. It took months, years even, to try and figure out what happens when we push the "Assemble Item", "Experiment Item" and "Create Prototype" buttons. The third reason was to be a place where new players could get their questions answered.

I have never looked into any of the EMUs, but I cant imagine that they will need SWGCraft the way SWG does. When it comes to resource reporting, I expect the EMUs to be smarter then SOE and give their players the spawn info. Especially since we originally made it clear we would not report resources for the EMUs. So Im assuming they went ahead without us and made other resource reporting arrangements. The people who are making the EMUs have the code, they wrote it. There will not be a need for their players to try to figure it out. I expect the EMU authors to be much more forthcoming and remove all mystery. I also expect the EMU games to have their own forums to answer questions.

Im just not sure there is a reason for SWGCraft to stay around after SWG closes. I dont think the EMUs need us.

kelrizzo
Novice Crafter

Post by kelrizzo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm

We would have to see what EMUSWG will do with resource reporting. Let me just say that SWGCraft has been as big a part of the game for me as SWG itself.