SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Comments on the latest news about crafting and Star Wars Galaxies.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Re: SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Post by Zbignew » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:06 pm

I was kinda hoping it was April 1st.
Savacc wrote:Well that sucks :(
This sums it up quite succinctly. I wanted to digest for 24 hours before making a decision.

Personally I've always had a problem supporting someone who stabs me in the back. I will be leaving when this current sub runs out on July 4th. I'll take a few screen shots and bid a few farewells but see no point in hanging around watching the slow death.

I would also agree that this is an LA descision, Sony is making money off the game and wouldn't give that up since it could continue with minimal effort for a long time yet. I played for the crafting and total diversity of the game, I see nothing out or on the horizon to compare. I also see no reason for Sony/LA not to continue or sell the game but what do I know.

Farewell to Flurry, my once and only home since the beginning. I have immensly enjoyed the comaraderie of this site and will miss firing off survey droids in the slim hope that "tonight I will find the uber .......". To Zimoon, who's guides and tireless efforts to support this site and the SWG forums have been invaluable, a tip of my fedora. Also much appreciation to Slyvampy and Sobuno for picking up and running with this after the old site folded.

If anyone has need of any resources I might have (quite literally many hundreds, some quite old), please feel free to send UncleFester an email in game and I'll drop them on my vendor for 1 credit. I will no longer update Flurry resources and will be glad to give away remaining IDS's and survey tools to anyone who wishes to continue.

Good luck to all of you, whatever you pursue.

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Azural
Novice Crafter

Post by Azural » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 am

They say time heals all wounds. This is going to take a long time...
Azural Industries :AI: Mos Carova, Tatooine. Starsider

de Gaschfacy
Novice Crafter

Post by de Gaschfacy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:39 am

Zimoon wrote:Let me just summon all our feelings with this true story:

My friends and I were in the middle of a successful ISD-run and we were cheering and bubbling as our guild always do in TeamSpeak. Suddenly a guy told the news ... all cheers and laughter died off ... we finished the run on auto-pilot but as one said: "what meaning are those coins and the loot now?" Next stop was another EK-run ... but we cancelled ... what meaning is it to even log into game again?

SOE are those that will be blamed but I am 110% certain that the decision is completely owned by LucasArts --- all whining and rants should be sent in that direction. Without licensing SOE has no say whatsoever ... and LA has never really understood what it is that made SWG that special.

It is a sad day ... SWG is not just another PC game, not just another online RP game, not just another <insert whatever> game, but it has all of that extra that makes people leave but always coming back. Most players agree that many new games outshine SWG on one area or the other, but their average are never even close to compete, SWG wins the overall battle. We whine about this and that but in fact SWG is a good game, old but great. Too sad that LucasArt fails to reach out and meet the community /spit

Zimoon
Zimoon, u've said exactly what i'm thinking of this situation ..... and the only taste remaining in my mouth is "gachis".

de Gaschfacy
Novice Crafter

Post by de Gaschfacy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 am

Oh, and i've forgotten to thank all the guys around here for up-dating and managing this site, a unique and must-have source of information for traders and anyone involved in crafting things.

Such a shame all this will be destroyed on december ........

But wth don't they give the source code to allow the community continue enjoying it, why?

I'm so sad atm ...... no rationnality, just emotion! I'll become a Sith if the game could continue :(

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Azural wrote:They say time heals all wounds. This is going to take a long time...
Indeed!

Right now I post somewhat at the official LucasArts forum, at the Facebook group Official Save Star Wars Galaxies, and wherever. Chances that LA admit their huge mistake and that they do not understand gaming communities and that they fail to support a not negligible group of SW-fans are of course slim to none, but you never know until the final nail is hammered into the casket, do you?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 pm

de Gaschfacy wrote:But wth don't they give the source code to allow the community continue enjoying it, why?(
The most likely answer is, as with many other things, LucasArts. They're rather protective of their IP (Intellectual Property) and just handing it over to someone for free is not going to happen, ever.

Taonite
Novice Crafter

Post by Taonite » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Sobuno wrote:
de Gaschfacy wrote:But wth don't they give the source code to allow the community continue enjoying it, why?(
The most likely answer is, as with many other things, LucasArts. They're rather protective of their IP (Intellectual Property) and just handing it over to someone for free is not going to happen, ever.

Hmm, then someone should talk to the techies over at the Emu and find out what they did to pull all that information. If the game can be captured at this point in time, as it was for the Emu point in time, could it be done now?
Then again, maybe they haven't touched those guys because that version of the game was left behind and LA didn't care. But what's the difference really?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Taonite wrote:
Sobuno wrote:
But what's the difference really?
There is no difference between making an emulator now or making one then. The reason they are not going after the EMU guys is because a) they do not use modified clients or servers; the client is the same one as from Publish 13 or something like that, and the server software is written from the ground up, using packet sniffing and guess-work to figure out how it is supposed to work. Thus, technically, the EMU guys have done nothing wrong, and b) they started creating the emulator 5,5 years ago and they still aren't close to finishing.

(I followed SWGEmu quite closely in the beginning, I even have their first public alpha release lying around somewhere. I stopped checking their site a few years ago, but have kept up through various people asking us to support emulator servers here on SWGCraft)

Situs Erectus
Novice Crafter

Post by Situs Erectus » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:58 pm

SAVE SWG Petition has been started.

I've learned and confirmed that a petition has been started for those who think Mr. Lucas does, in fact, listen to his fans. Perhaps if that's true, he can intervene with the bean counters and lawyers betweek Lucasarts and SOE that have precipitated a very hurtful decision.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveswg

My group on Chilastra has already signed up there.

Many many thanks to the team that have made SWGCraft possible, and the many others who have helped. Hope there comes a reason to continue.

Best to All! Situs Erectus
Last edited by Sobuno on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed pseudo-link to link

Gawo
Novice Crafter

Post by Gawo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 am

Just change back to DE from shipwright do fact of resouces and not time be good at it and be useful to everyone as whole. I made both close friend and partners with both player and guilds.

I miss help new ent with there droid or give them a test mouse and make friend for life. I found lot s frendly player some time gave gift or were very helpful.

There was contact Space Mining for 200cr per unit for shipwright in my business partner guild.
Work with Havester/Droid/pet/vender/craft/sample mining Mustafar(no planet like go to but resouce are very good with status) and have my commando do the Hunting and gathering for my trade or help with quest in out of guild with PVP/PVE too. It all going be miss. I still have friend in vent and facebook in/out guild.

I could get upset or depress but that a wast. Im going on till have to go back to ENt to have fun to end. Like did with Naritus .

Main thing I ask is help everyone have fun to end :)

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:35 am

Gawo wrote: I could get upset or depress but that a wast. Im going on till have to go back to ENt to have fun to end. Like did with Naritus .

Main thing I ask is help everyone have fun to end :)
I'm crafting crates of fireworks ..we just as well have fun with the time that is left :)
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

Harpua
Novice Crafter

Post by Harpua » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 am

It's one of those bittersweet moments. I had already cancelled my accounts in the wake of the hack job. After a few weeks off, I really couldn't get back into the swing of things. No use paying for something you don't use.

But putting an end date really kills any reason to go back. I was in the middle of a few long term projects. Why bother wasting the time now? But maybe making fireworks isn't a bad thing to do. They still have the coolest fireworks in an MMO.

But the best thing about the game was something I realized while watching one of the movies. You actually felt like you had been there. And I suppose that after traipsing all over the various planets (except Mustyfart) over the course of several years, we really were there. Despite all the bugs and dev stupidity, the environment was spot on. It is something that no other game I've played has matched.

No real reason for me to come back here, so I'll leave my thanks to the people who developed and maintained this site. There is really nothing else like it and you should take that as a compliment. Special thanks to Edra for updating Bria for so long. I was ready to help before the game was hacked. But your effort was superhuman.

May the schwartz be with you :)

pneuvo
Novice Crafter

Post by pneuvo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Yeah, I am only here because of an addiction and love of starwars. I tried to quit several times and kept coming back. Hense I expect to be here to the end, though I expect it to get rough. Traders deal in the long term more than most combat toons, and I already see them leaving (notably Builder's Warehouse on Bria). When things get harder to get, more will give up. Glad to hear that this vital resource will be with us a little longer anyway. Thanks guys.

Igin
Novice Crafter

Post by Igin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm finding it hard still to put what I am feeling into words. I've played this game since 2003 and I'm afraid I won't find a game to replace it. Even this site had become a part of me. This was always the first site I visited when I turned the comp on. I'm going to miss it all. There isn't a part between this site and SWG that I haven't enjoyed and I'm glad I was a part of them. My heart is still too heavy to say more..

good luck everyone and God bless...

gurgi1970
Novice Crafter

Post by gurgi1970 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 pm

I will be sad to see SWG close down. I played constantly at the beginning and then when the CU and NGE hit, I stopped playing it for awhile and then played off and on until about 2 years ago when I started playing steadily again and gave the game a good fair shake. While most of the stuff I liked was gone, there was alot of new things that took it's place and still made the game enjoyable to play. I will of course be here until the end, playing one of the best MMO games I have ever played. Don't think I'll ever find something that will fill the niche that will be left when SWG is gone.