SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Comments on the latest news about crafting and Star Wars Galaxies.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I am afraid this is not a joke, guys. Star Wars Galaxies service will end on December 15th, 2011: http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/playerinfo/

Sobuno
Developer

Re: SWG closing down December 15, 2011

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Questions and Answers
Questions may have been rephrased. Mods, feel free to add any information you want.

Will the code be made public?
Sony Online Entertainment will retain all of the code and data from Star Wars Galaxies.

Will the SWGCraft Project stay online till the end?
Most likely, yes.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Well that sucks :(

Treadstone
Novice Crafter

Post by Treadstone » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Is this site going to stay online until the end?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Treadstone wrote:Is this site going to stay online until the end?
While I do not manage the hosting side of things (Slyvampy does), I will say that it most likely will.

What happens beyond that point, however, is entirely unknown as this is as much news to us as it is to you :cry:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Let me just summon all our feelings with this true story:

My friends and I were in the middle of a successful ISD-run and we were cheering and bubbling as our guild always do in TeamSpeak. Suddenly a guy told the news ... all cheers and laughter died off ... we finished the run on auto-pilot but as one said: "what meaning are those coins and the loot now?" Next stop was another EK-run ... but we cancelled ... what meaning is it to even log into game again?

SOE are those that will be blamed but I am 110% certain that the decision is completely owned by LucasArts --- all whining and rants should be sent in that direction. Without licensing SOE has no say whatsoever ... and LA has never really understood what it is that made SWG that special.

It is a sad day ... SWG is not just another PC game, not just another online RP game, not just another <insert whatever> game, but it has all of that extra that makes people leave but always coming back. Most players agree that many new games outshine SWG on one area or the other, but their average are never even close to compete, SWG wins the overall battle. We whine about this and that but in fact SWG is a good game, old but great. Too sad that LucasArt fails to reach out and meet the community /spit

Zimoon

Mibeo
Novice Crafter

Post by Mibeo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 pm

makes me sad.now I will have to find another game.my free time on the accounts end on the 28th and so does my time with swg.I see no reason to renew any accounts anymore.I might go back to eve online, I might just stay away from online games period.Not real sure at the moment.I enjoyed the crafting, swtor will have none of it, so I will have no interest in that game.This is a sad day indeed for sure.

Alexoin
Novice Crafter

Post by Alexoin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 am

SWTOR is supposed to have some crafting, but nothing like SWGs :/

Plus sigh, well at least I hadn't yet resubsribed, and the news came through before my account to account transfer costs kicked in.

As for the site, as in the other thread, thanks for all the help.

Though there may be a future for the site if any of the EMU projects get finished, and resource tracking is needed once again.

Treadstone
Novice Crafter

Post by Treadstone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 am

I hope it does stick around. I for one plan on using it up until the end, or close to it anyway.

Zimoon, I understand how you feel. I felt that way initially. I was in the middle of crafting someone a weapon when the news popped in guild chat. After a while I finally told myself this was going to end at some point anyway. Yes it's disappointing. Sad. But then I thought about all of the incredible things I've experienced while playing. That led to thinking about all of the things I still want to accomplish. I'm going to cram as much fun and crazy exploits into the 5 or so months I've got left and leave the game with a bang.

That said, I totally agree with you on LucasArts. The way this went down it's obvious they weren't going to extend the contract and made the decision to pull the plug.

Back to craftin' and killin'

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:12 am

Wow ..really having a hard time digesting all this ..I guess what I will miss the most is all the friends that I have made in these last few years. All the times we have had ..good or bad, and just the general experience that a long term MMO can give.

I intend to stay on Bloodfin until the day the server closes ..I have toons on other servers, but these are my mains. I welcome any of the players here to stop by Axiom city on Dantooine and say hello. It is my hope to be able to continue to find enjoyment in the time we have left, and maybe run into some of my friends in the next game.

HydroTek
HydroTekII
Nosvi
Ditty
Akhee
Evotodi
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters: HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

Gawo
Novice Crafter

Post by Gawo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:53 am

Just gone back to Droid Eng from Shipwright due fact was a DE back on Naritus and I dont have time get ring, clothing and resouces due good job with shipwrighing and most anything going be sell the values going drop as we get close to Dec. I may have do a fire sale and go baack to Ent.

Best we can just not wast our time with pontless thing, just have fun helping the galaxy(Flurry etc.), Guild and Friends as well as fellow Trademen. I have gone to long to grainding to just short helping out and do what I do best as well have fun with WARR, RAID and other old friend guilds as well old Flurry one that where here before server tranfer from Naritus.

Hard thing going just keep pawn info coming to this site help other with all crafts, I for one will do some suryaning just help everyone crafting stuff, its not to hard get Name and State, just /WP with good percetage on suryan.

I like give big ty for this site and all other for help me find resouces I need for crafting. :D

ziso
Novice Crafter

Post by ziso » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Firstly i want to thank everyone involved with this site. Its been invaluable over the last 6 years for myself and many many others.

Im still in a state of shock in all honesty. When i first saw the news on our website i thought it was a joke or they were wrong and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Ive just had the wierdest 3 hours ingame. There were over 40 of us online yet our normally very active guild chat was alot quieter and 90% of threads were about the game shutting. I think it hasnt quite sunk in yet for many of us. There was a sense of why continue anymore going on. Some have already said they wont resub next month. Alot of us will, and stay here to the end though. I have rallied all the traders and shop keepers in the guild/city and told them we are known as the best place/city on the server for activity and shops. Asked them to carry on as normal till 1st December. Then the final 2 weeks stop crafting, chill, enjoy, run events and party.

If we are going out, then we plan on going out on the very top of our game.

I agree with i see this as a Lucasarts not SOE thing. I personally feel even SOE were taken by surprise over this. Why merge servers, plan GCW2, free gametimes, recent PA changes to PA devices etc if you know your being shut down.
Many of us were going to Tor anyhow, some 100% some would be split 50/50 in both games. I planned on only being casual part timers in Tor but our guild is already set up there so with SWG being cancelled, i guess we will have lots more move across with us.

But no game for me can come close to SWG for its housing/cities and crafting.

Many thanks again guys for everything
Ziso

Oar
Novice Crafter

Post by Oar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:20 pm

/emote tears form in Oar's eyes.

This blue faced Mon Calamari just learned what a rag doll must feel like, when its tossed aside, after so much play and luv. I only read the news a few minutes ago, wish I had known before the hack. I canceled immediately, why participate one minute longer after that press release?

It does make me smile to see TCG die right along with it, tho. Right before the acct hack, in one of their patch notes, SOE told us all "TCG is successful!" That deserves a ROFLCOPTER in my book. *cough* Scammers never win. Serves em right, I'll never give them a reference for that debacle.

This site was a great help to me. Almost hit 100mil credits on my trader, trading resources and stuff. SWG was better than many of the newer half finished mainstream MMOs and far better to look at and listen too. I know, I tried many. Well, except for the sound we got for tickling a pylon, that was godawful, what 3rd grader came up with that alarm clock beep, each tickle? Guess GCW2 is off the spectrum. Game Devs are jerks of the first magnitude, these were no different.

We all deserve more playability for our dedication and PATIENCE, and what did we get get? Less.

I'm gonna say their mistake, ruining the many communities with FREE transfers killed it. I don't really care what really did, it was kept a secret from me, so I'll speculate. To me, all these new faces overnight on Sunny, made me feel sorta strange and unwelcome, on my own server, a server I played on for YEARS. Ya can't say, ya develop tight nit communities and game economies, and then poop on them. Erroneous expectations like that flip smiles upside down immediately.

I saw so many HOTH suits and cool gear, that was impossible to obtain on Sunny before the CTS. Strangers were PKing me. That's just not right. It was fun playing with yas all tho, and PKing some. Hope maybe to see your spirit in another virtual world in a galaxy far far away from SOE and LucasArts. I won't get the next SW product since it has crappy crafting. Crafting is a game maker/breaker for us. What are you guys thinking about switching to. Its awful to have a crafting itch and not be able to reach it.

Looks like some long hours playing permadeath, Dwarf Fortress are ahead of me, its got no eyecandy whatsoever, but the price is spot on. Atleast Bay12 isn't trying to scam me for a FanFair, and then kick me out of the game, or force me to participate in microtransactions. This game had its ups and downs, and I am VERY proud to say I was part of it. No game of this magnitude and scope, should end like this, overnight, without a sequel.

Remember in the end, change is ALWAYS good.

Take care,
Oar/Vyyyk

Mutt-Li
Novice Crafter

SWG is ENDING 15 dec

Post by Mutt-Li » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Here is a link to the official post
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.co ... th=current
Last edited by Sobuno on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged into topic