Orske's Current Best Resources

Ideas and discussions on third party tools and utilities

Moderator: Forum Moderator

the_real_orske
Novice Crafter

Orske's Current Best Resources

Post by the_real_orske » Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 am

Wanted to thank Sobuno again on pointing me to .org instead of .co.uk for resource pulls.

I also wanted to ask if you guys want my code for the CBR tool? It's old and clunky, but I could probably easily package it up in a couple hours to move it to a new site, and then all it would require is write ability to a couple sub-directories (for the resource pulls), then just leave a pointer on my server to you until everyone updates their bookmarks. That way it would likely have more uptime if people still find it handy, which I know some of you still do.

For those who don't know of it:

Classic profs:
http://orske.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/swg/cbr-co-uk.cgi

NGE profs:
http://orske.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/swg/cbr-nge-co-uk.cgi

(I'd also get rid of the crappy comment system embedded and the forum, which is merely a link to phpbb3 on the same server, and of which I never fixed the outbound smtp problem, heh).

Let me know, I likely won't check here that often, but I've set myself to notify on replies. Oh, and whoever took my username 'orske' shame on you! (I don't think I did, and it didn't match with any of my normal email addresses...so I blame someone else!)

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Orske's Current Best Resources

Post by Sobuno » Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 pm

the_real_orske wrote: That way it would likely have more uptime if people still find it handy, which I know some of you still do.
Is your server down a lot? I've never experienced that (Then again, I only visit it to see if you've left some comment)
What kind of setup does it need to operate other than the write permission? Database etc.

We could probably host it, but no further development would be done on it.

the_real_orske
Novice Crafter

Post by the_real_orske » Thu May 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Sobuno wrote:
the_real_orske wrote: That way it would likely have more uptime if people still find it handy, which I know some of you still do.
Is your server down a lot? I've never experienced that (Then again, I only visit it to see if you've left some comment)
What kind of setup does it need to operate other than the write permission? Database etc.

We could probably host it, but no further development would be done on it.
it doesn't use anything more elaborate than flat files. i wrote this a *long* time ago, and didn't want to bother with a DB -- it was mostly an evolution, becoming more and more advanced as I hacked it up, I should have started it 'right'. i'm even scared of my own code, now :D

it's basically perl and read in flat file configs (professions, schematics, resource tree) to hashes, then opening up the flat files I pull from ya'll, calculating values, throwing them in hashes, then looping through the hashes during printing out. nothing else. quite inefficient, actually, heh.

i don't let it go down too much (or longer than a few days if I'm slow to catch it), as I use the server for other things as well mostly daily (weekdays), so I'd notice fairly quickly anyway, but it's still just an old pIII-600 chugging away faithfully next to my desk :)

EDIT: and development? what's that? heh -- I haven't modified the guts to this thing for ages, only fed it new urls for data feeds/status files.

gearbow
Novice Crafter

Post by gearbow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:28 am

This is a great tool if you know that not all the stats are calculated correctly. At least I am pretty sure some of the schematics are not calculated correctly.

i.e. The weapon components , for example Advance Vibro Blade unit calculates everything on Shock resistance SR=100%. In reality it is Overall Quality and shock resistance = OQ (33%) + SR (66%).

Is there anyone that is able to fix this?

Also is the a kind of filter to take out condition out of the results as we no longer need to experiment on condition as far as i know?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 am

I do not know much about the current state of this site or if it is maintained ... but I know that SWGAide works and if there is an error you will have it corrected in a very short time :D

Zimoon

the_real_orske
Novice Crafter

Post by the_real_orske » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:50 pm

gearbow wrote:This is a great tool if you know that not all the stats are calculated correctly. At least I am pretty sure some of the schematics are not calculated correctly.

i.e. The weapon components , for example Advance Vibro Blade unit calculates everything on Shock resistance SR=100%. In reality it is Overall Quality and shock resistance = OQ (33%) + SR (66%).

Is there anyone that is able to fix this?

Also is the a kind of filter to take out condition out of the results as we no longer need to experiment on condition as far as i know?
I'm still alive! I have emails sent to me on this thread, was surprised to see them. I don't check my server logs anymore too see how often it's used, I just keep the server up as I use it for other things, so I don't mind keeping my old CGI on it hidden away, heh.

Sounds like some things have changed according to the stats experimented on? I have all the schems hard-coded in flat files, it's not *hard* to change, but it would be annoying, it's not a good system (never expected it to really be used by anyone but myself at the time). Basically, there are two files per profession (and I'll use pre-nge profs here as an example), one for experimental quality, and one for resources required. Bear with me, this will be horrible:

So, for my example in shipwright, see http://orske.no-ip.org/data/shipwright_q and http://orske.no-ip.org/data/shipwright_s. These two files control how the output is generated for http://orske.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/swg/cbr- ... ider;p_a=1; -- notice the 'menu' system at top will match the data structure in the two files. the *_q files I use need experimental qualities like "0:0:0:0:0:0:0:60:0:0:40" which is "er,cr,cd,dr,fl,hr,ma,oq,sr,ut,pe" in that order. the *_s file is the resource required. If someone were to provide me with the two files (they have to have respective lines in each file, bad design, I know) for any given 'profession' -- I can very, very easily replace what I have if it's out of date.

I just can't really justify the time that would be spent to update it myself. I haven't played in...oh, at least 4-5 years now, basically since soon after NGE, like many others. I don't even have the time to play other MMOs even, unfortunately -- too much work/wife/etc.
Zimoon wrote:I do not know much about the current state of this site or if it is maintained ... but I know that SWGAide works and if there is an error you will have it corrected in a very short time :D

Zimoon
I've not looked at this, and though I'm always partial to my own work, I would likely suggest others to use something that is actively maintained. My tool had it's day, and then some, being still used years after I've stopped. I'd totally check this out Zimoon if I played SWG still :)

However, gearbow, if you *want* to use my tool, go ahead, and if anyone *wants* to update profession files, or get a copy of all the current files I use (the _q and _s links above may show old ones not even in current use, but they show the idea of how they work), I can easily set up that updated profession in a few minutes (or even leave the old ones and add a 'new' profession with your updated data).

Hopefully this post makes sense, I'm rambling, it's early, and I need to get a run in, so I'm dreading that :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks for the update Orske ... good to see you are around :mrgreen:
Are you playing SWG these days too? If at Chim I am Zimoon there too :P

/Zimoon