3rd party tool idea

Ideas and discussions on third party tools and utilities

Moderator: Forum Moderator

kostic
Novice Crafter

3rd party tool idea

Post by kostic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:36 pm

I have just returned from a 3 year leave from SWG. I am happy to be back. First and foremost, this crafting community is amazing and the crafting within SWG is the best there is.

One thing that may have already been mentioned, so I may be repeating myself, or it already may be implemented so please excuse my ignorance.

How about coming up with some tool that will allow you to pick a superset item. For example, a composite armor set. Then allow the user to choose the sub components (segments, layers.. etc) and based on that do a few things like:
  • 1. Show all resources needed to craft the entire set (including the subset items as well).
    • a. Let the user pick how many of these 'sets' they would like to craft and do the math calculations for the entire set. What I mean by this is determine the number of resources (including the schematic resource use) to craft X number of items.
  • 2.Generate a shopping list that includes the resource name, quantity and the component of the resource that matters (i.e. DR, OQ & SR for the appearance.. OQ and SR for the core/segment/layer pieces)
  • 3. Have the ability to query the current resources for the server to see if any resources are available that will be used in the crafting of the entire set.
    • a.Allow the user to put a percentage threshold on the quality of the resource.(I.E. 90% OQ or 95% SR ) Bacsically a filter.
I have pondered writing this application myself and am not opposed to developing it but I would like to see if this has already been implemented somewhere else or is currently in development.

One of the hardest things coming back to crafting is that I have forgotten so much, so much has changed and it's really hard to start looking for a nice resource for a certain piece of armor/wep when it takes an extremely large effort to comb through swgcraft looking for current resources, what they are used in and what quality is generally accepted as nice.

I know I am getting off topic here but one problem that SWG craft has with it's resource usage list would help the excessive search time for usage on a particular item.

For example: I am on the current resource page for my server and I find something called Hollinium Intrusive Ore and when I click the link to find what schematics use Hollinium Intrusive Ore, it returns nothing.... Here lies the problem.

Hollinium Intrusive Ore is a subset of Intrusive Ore, so shouldn't Hollinium Intrusive Ore return all the Intrusive Ore resource usage as well?

If I should post this on another to get more attention then just let me know.

Thanks! I am so happy to be back! :D

//edit

One more thing: Is there a way to get the resources from my character inventory other than manually writing everything down? I have tons of resources so there is a possibility to use a lesser statted resource in something simply because I miss it. So if I had the list in some sort of app, I could manage my own resources and use the best resource for the item.

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Re: 3rd party tool idea

Post by Rommel » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:16 am

kostic wrote:For example: I am on the current resource page for my server and I find something called Hollinium Intrusive Ore and when I click the link to find what schematics use Hollinium Intrusive Ore, it returns nothing.... Here lies the problem.

Hollinium Intrusive Ore is a subset of Intrusive Ore, so shouldn't Hollinium Intrusive Ore return all the Intrusive Ore resource usage as well?
It would be nice if a link to look at the parent was given, I constantly move up the list when checking out what a resource is used in.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: 3rd party tool idea

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't know how much work it is to provide the features you ask for and I am not a developer here so I pass.

On the Hollinium Intrusive Ore though: It is s sub-class of Intrusive Ore and should only show resources of that particular type and not anything of its super-class. If a schematic calls for Hollinium Intrusive Ore only that resource class (or its sub-classes, which in this case there is none) can be used.

I agree with Rommel, it would be cool to have a direct link to its super-class rather than having to find it in the drop down list. However, such a feature doesn't really add anything useful, only a convenience to the site.

There is no way to "automagically" get a list of your inventory to the harddisk. You will at least need to type a last of the names and types, soon SWGAide will have a personal inventory and will be able to query SWGCraft for the stats so you don't have to type all of that, but today, no.

/Zimoon