JnF's SWGCTool v2.0.2 - Official Thread

Ideas and discussions on third party tools and utilities

Moderator: Forum Moderator

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Re: *NEW* JnF's SWGCTool v2.0 - Official Thread

Post by panino76 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Mihall_Agamemnon wrote:Are you making a list of all the new schems for munitions that you dont have in the current version of tool? I know one specifically is the Corellian Destroyer and there may be more that I haven't found yet.
If you find a schematic that is not present inside the tool, please post here all info about it, it will be really appreciated. Unfortunately I'm alone and it's not easy for me to think about ALL possible schems.

Remember to post every usefulle information, complexity, type and quantity of resources, category of the weapon, required and optional components....and so on...

Thanks for the cooperation.

Artax Wavingwalker

kbuegel
Novice Crafter

Post by kbuegel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:50 pm

Hey Artax,

Just wanted to say you've done a very nice job on this tool. I'm familliar with the old version and see how many small (and big!) changes you've made and I'm very impressed. Its working quite smoothly for me.

My original problem with loading resources was the same as the previous poster's, where I copied and pasted resources but the tool didn't recognize them because the first resource line was not set up correctly. Rather than add a resource from the spawn list, I just reformatted my data to match the import file format and imported the resources, which worked fine. So if someone (like TCPrime guy) is having trouble getting a spawn list, the export/import is another work-around on the resource page bug.

Also in past versions, there was a bug where the length of the download directory you specify on the control panel page had to be fairly short. The total length of the resources filename and directory had to be less than 128 characters or excel would truncate it. So often, users that specified a directory in their "my documents" could not get the tool to work. So my suggestion to folks is to just use C:\ for the directory, or something similar and short.

So, as long as we are discussing details of the tool, I noticed that the WTHT page does not show a percentage for the second-best column sometimes. Seems that if both the first-best and second-best is higher than the spawned resource's percentage, then the second-best percentage doesn't show. Not sure if thats a feature or a bug!

And as a general suggestion, I find it a bit confusing to decide what resources I should actually attempt to harvest. That is, after all, what this tool is all about, and there is so much information that it sort of gets lost in the confusion. The WTHT page highlights some spawns in a green background, but it does not seem to always make sense what that's about. Likewise, I could use the color of the percentage (blue or red) as a guide for what to harvest, but again for resources that don't care what the stats are and just need anything are black, then the percentages are either 100% with a black color, or blank and it just says, "Available".

Another logistical problem with the "use any" type resources is that its not the same thing as the "use generic" type resources, and I don't think its the same as "filter" either. So you may have to consider yet another column on the resources page to identify resources to be used in the case that stats are irrelevant. In this case, you would not want to use your 995OQ resource for something where stats don't matter. But as I understand it, the "use generic", "filter" and "hide filtered" checkbox don't quite accomplish this task- those settings are for when you want to hide a resource completely, or have a specific resource, say Ostrine Carbonate Ore, and don't want to use it as generic Ore. But in that case, stats do matter. For the "use any" resources, stats don't matter, and that seems to confuse the tool a bit.
As an alternative to another column on the resources page, perhaps you can put in some smarter logic on the "use any" resources where it looks for lowest stats instead of highest stats, and perhaps might consider quantity as well. For "use any" resource types, the WTHT and crafting pages should probably recommend the lowest stat resource that is above the minimum quantity set on the control panel.

I have one final suggestion: If you right-click any cell in excel, there is an option called "insert comment". I don't think this exists in the old excel versions, but from 2002 and on, it does. This is a help-text that pops up when you hover over the cell. These are very helpful for column headings where you may explain better what the column of data is all about. On the resources page, perhaps you could insert comments on the column headings for Filter and Generic.

Valtier
Novice Crafter

Post by Valtier » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Anyone else getting this error when they attempt to update resources?

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I am using schematics from all four Traders.

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Post by panino76 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:06 am

kbuegel wrote: My original problem with loading resources was the same as the previous poster's, where I copied and pasted resources but the tool didn't recognize them because the first resource line was not set up correctly. Rather than add a resource from the spawn list, I just reformatted my data to match the import file format and imported the resources, which worked fine. So if someone (like TCPrime guy) is having trouble getting a spawn list, the export/import is another work-around on the resource page bug.
I have never got this problem, if you have solid steps to reproduce it, pls forward them to me.
kbuegel wrote: So, as long as we are discussing details of the tool, I noticed that the WTHT page does not show a percentage for the second-best column sometimes. Seems that if both the first-best and second-best is higher than the spawned resource's percentage, then the second-best percentage doesn't show. Not sure if thats a feature or a bug!
I've noticed that too, and since I've never modified that formula, I think it was in the original design of the first developer of the tool. Anyway, it's in my "to-do" list to modify it.
kbuegel wrote:The WTHT page highlights some spawns in a green background, but it does not seem to always make sense what that's about.
If it's in green, it means that "this resource is really closed to what the best you have in your stock" so it's a good indication of what you should harvest
kbuegel wrote:Likewise, I could use the color of the percentage (blue or red) as a guide for what to harvest
That is the same method I use too.
kbuegel wrote:but again for resources that don't care what the stats are and just need anything are black, then the percentages are either 100% with a black color, or blank and it just says, "Available"
Well, if the quality is not needed the tool just says to you "hey you need this resource to craft something, but since the quality doesn't matter, any resource you have is ok" I can't see any other way the tool could provide this info.
Anyway, if you have in mind a better way to show these informations, don't hesitate to provide me more details. I've almost never touched that page, but I'm always ready to improve the old functions.
kbuegel wrote:Another logistical problem with the "use any" type resources is that its not the same thing as the "use generic" type resources, and I don't think its the same as "filter" either. So you may have to consider yet another column on the resources page to identify resources to be used in the case that stats are irrelevant. In this case, you would not want to use your 995OQ resource for something where stats don't matter. But as I understand it, the "use generic", "filter" and "hide filtered" checkbox don't quite accomplish this task- those settings are for when you want to hide a resource completely, or have a specific resource, say Ostrine Carbonate Ore, and don't want to use it as generic Ore. But in that case, stats do matter. For the "use any" resources, stats don't matter, and that seems to confuse the tool a bit.
As an alternative to another column on the resources page, perhaps you can put in some smarter logic on the "use any" resources where it looks for lowest stats instead of highest stats, and perhaps might consider quantity as well. For "use any" resource types, the WTHT and crafting pages should probably recommend the lowest stat resource that is above the minimum quantity set on the control panel.
You're right on this...it's something I've noticed too, and I've found pretty useless that filter....reconverting that filter so that you can tag a resource like a generic one would be surely more usefull. I'll modify it in the next release, and before doin' it I'll provide here on these boards some hints so that you all can give me some positive feedbacks.
kbuegel wrote:On the resources page, perhaps you could insert comments on the column headings for Filter and Generic.
Good point, I'll see what can I do :)

Thanks for all your feedback 8)

Artax Wavingwalker

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Post by panino76 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 am

Valtier wrote:Anyone else getting this error when they attempt to update resources?

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I am using schematics from all four Traders.

could you provide me solid steps to reproduce this error?

Thanks.

Artax Wavingwalker

Valtier
Novice Crafter

Post by Valtier » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 am

I don't know what's causing it to reproduce it. It happens after I add many schematics from multiple professions and try to update resources. The schematics I've been selecting are all of the various beast mastery equipment and the armor cores and segments.

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Post by panino76 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 am

Valtier wrote:I don't know what's causing it to reproduce it. It happens after I add many schematics from multiple professions and try to update resources. The schematics I've been selecting are all of the various beast mastery equipment and the armor cores and segments.
Ok, pls write me each step you do before you get this error.

Thanks

Artax Wavingwalker

velrahnkoon
Novice Crafter

Post by velrahnkoon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey Panino, I've got a feature request for you.

On the Crafting Sheet page, would it be possible to make the Experimental Line box (D11) a dropdown menu (like B8 and D6 are) that will allow you to select from the 4 different experimental lines from the Data All sheet (colums F through Q is Exp. 1, R through AC is Exp. 2, etc.).

By way of example, if you wanted to craft a TIE Aggressor Chassis then having a dropdown in D11 would allow you to see the best resources to use for Max Hitpoints (Exp. 1 data) or Max Mass (Exp. 2 data).

Not sure how difficult this would be. I look forward to hearing if it's at all possible.

Thanks for your hard work on the sheet. The update is fantastic and MUCH faster.

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Post by panino76 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Unfortunately the calculations that are behind to detect the best resources are pretty heavy, and changing the experimentation line "on fly" would require to do them each time. This is why I hided the old crafting sheet making a new one.

Anyway, I'm reengineering the crafting simulator, and I'm rewriting it from scratch. I'll see if this is something that is possible to do and that require few sec to pass from a calculation to another. I don't want to make something where the user has the time to take a coffe and to smoke a cigarette before passing from a calculation to another one.

Artax Wavingwalker

velrahnkoon
Novice Crafter

Post by velrahnkoon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:00 pm

panino76 wrote:Unfortunately the calculations that are behind to detect the best resources are pretty heavy, and changing the experimentation line "on fly" would require to do them each time. This is why I hided the old crafting sheet making a new one.

Anyway, I'm reengineering the crafting simulator, and I'm rewriting it from scratch. I'll see if this is something that is possible to do and that require few sec to pass from a calculation to another. I don't want to make something where the user has the time to take a coffe and to smoke a cigarette before passing from a calculation to another one.
I agree that making the calculations go slower just to include the feature would be a step back, not forward. Glad you're willing to at least give it a look for the next iteration of the tool. Thanks!

velrahnkoon
Novice Crafter

Post by velrahnkoon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Panino,

I have a few bugs to report. I did a Resource import last night, and I have column R of the Resources sheet set to 200,000 for the Minimum Resource Level in the import csv file. When I did the import, all those values were entered as 20,000 instead of 200,000.

The second bug is on the Crafting Sheet page. When I select the Control Unit schematic from Trader(Engineering), it shows the list as follows:

Experimental Line: Quality
Experimental Weights: OQ(100%)

Num Materials Used Resources (First) Exp. Value Resources (Second) Exp. Value
1 Copper None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%
2 Copper None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%
3 Inert Gas None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%
4 Low-Grade Ore None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%
5 Metal None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%
6 Metal None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%
7 Polymer None Available 0.00% None Available 0.00%

Note that it's listing 2 coppers and 2 metals. I think what's happening is that it's also importing the resource requirements for the Advanced Control Unit, since the Control Unit name is part of the ACU name so it's not differentiating the two. If I change Control Unit to Control Units, it pulls the correct resources. It also works properly if I go into the Control Panel and remove the ACU from the Schematics Configurator section.

wzydhek
Apprentice Crafter

Post by wzydhek » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:55 am

I'm not sure what I am dong wrong. I downloaded 2.0.1 version of the tool, configured it from the 1st tab, put in all my resources on the Resources Tab with Filter set to 1 on each row, and Generic set to 1 as well.

On the Crafting Sheet, when I choose an item to craft, for each Material to use, the resource just shows "None Available".

The What to harvest today tab also shows only "None Available" in every category for Best and Second Best columns.

What am I doing wrong?

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Post by panino76 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 am

wzydhek wrote:I'm not sure what I am dong wrong. I downloaded 2.0.1 version of the tool, configured it from the 1st tab, put in all my resources on the Resources Tab with Filter set to 1 on each row, and Generic set to 1 as well.

On the Crafting Sheet, when I choose an item to craft, for each Material to use, the resource just shows "None Available".

The What to harvest today tab also shows only "None Available" in every category for Best and Second Best columns.

What am I doing wrong?
There's a known bug that is causing this, and it happens if you start inserting resources in a blank page (so the first time). To avoid this check some post before this one, I explain a good workaround to solve this issue.

Artax Wavingwalker

panino76
Intermediate Crafter

Post by panino76 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:17 am

wzydhek wrote:I'm not sure what I am dong wrong. I downloaded 2.0.1 version of the tool, configured it from the 1st tab, put in all my resources on the Resources Tab with Filter set to 1 on each row, and Generic set to 1 as well.

What am I doing wrong?
Ok, here is how to do, follow these steps:

1) Clear the sheet Resources
2) Go inside the WTHSummary
3) click on a resource, one of your choice, doesn't matter
4) click on the "Add resource" button and the Ok.
5) once you're done insert again your resources inside the Resources worksheet and click "Update Resources"
6) Now you should see all your resources in the What to Harvest today
7) Delete the resource you've inserted at point 3) setting its quantity to -1 and Updating the sheet again

Obviously this is just for the first resource you insert in the sheet. Next time you have to insert another resource, you can insert it without the need to repeat these steps.

Sry for the incovenience. This bug is fixed in the next release.

Artax Wavingwalker

wzydhek
Apprentice Crafter

Post by wzydhek » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:09 pm

Awesome, thanks! Just the advice I needed :D